NHL 2017-18

Bmac

15 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Unpopular-opinion alert: I actually somehow like that better than the primary. Never thought I'd say that....

Wonder how it'd look if the thin "pinstripes" were green...just curious.  That way it's a primarily red/black/green team but with continuity to its past and a tiny dab of color that separates them from the other red/black teams. Honestly, I think the Sens should do something similar with gold. Why not?

This is really nice. I'm getting a bit tired of the standard, one thick stripe look. Nice to see something different. This looks kinda devilish too in a weird way, while also paying homage.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Bmac said:

The way that article is written seems more like the author doesn't want the jerseys to change, rather than having real information. But who knows...

It also sort of sounds like his definition of changing is different from ours. For me changing is any deviation from anything be that striping style, striping width, number font, yoke shape etc. If anything is even slightly different I'll consider that a change. For him it feels like "not changing" could mean they overhaul their striping, but as long as the colors and logo remain the same then there's been no change. It reads like it was written by a civilian rather than a uni-nerd. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Off-topic but I realized a little while ago that the Alfredsson retirement banner featured numbers that have been used on Sens sweaters before (original black/white and current alternate), but never on a red sweater, including the current red/white set. Could be a small peak at their branding next year given we know that the colours and logos at least will stay the same. Looks like they're heading for a more traditional look.

41L6M9JPEAL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpgdaniel-alfredsson.jpeg

26 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

Off-topic but I realized a little while ago that the Alfredsson retirement banner featured numbers that have been used on Sens sweaters before (original black/white and current alternate), but never on a red sweater, including the current red/white set. Could be a small peak at their branding next year given we know that the colours and logos at least will stay the same. Looks like they're heading for a more traditional look.

I think it's more likely that the banner maker told Melnyk it would cost an extra $20 to get their custom font on it and he decided against it.

38 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It also sort of sounds like his definition of changing is different from ours. For me changing is any deviation from anything be that striping style, striping width, number font, yoke shape etc. If anything is even slightly different I'll consider that a change. For him it feels like "not changing" could mean they overhaul their striping, but as long as the colors and logo remain the same then there's been no change. It reads like it was written by a civilian rather than a uni-nerd. 

This, and the tweets, leads me to think it's a slight change in striping - either putting some spaces between the black and white (or red and black) stripes OR making the striping a little bit more like the throwbacks and sharpening the lines on the logo

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

21 minutes ago, Point1 said:

I think it's more likely that the banner maker told Melnyk it would cost an extra $20 to get their custom font on it and he decided against it.

I would believe that face value if it wasn't already a font that the Sens have used almost continuously since their founding.

39 minutes ago, Point1 said:

Considering the horrible kerning of the years on that banner (1 995 - 201 3)...I'm not sure it cost more than $20 to make the whole thing.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Looks that way.

I kinda hope for something with the yoke.  I'd like to see it more rounded.  Or maybe even a red out line on the road jersey.

I don't think there's anything to lose our minds over yet.  Looks like the logo and colors are going to be the same.  Teams like the Packers (sleeve stripes one year after the Favre Super Bowl), Bruins, Rangers, etc. have tweaked these kind of elements without ruining the classic look.  Of course the Steelers, in my opinion anyway, put a rather large dent in their look by italicizing their numbers.

If the Devils said to me "We are going to keep our colors and logo and make changes to other jersey elements but you let you take one thing off of the table," I'd definitely choose number font. I think they can weather reasonable striping and yoke changes without marring their essential "Devilsness" but a custom font kinda scares me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

So basically it will be the same logo and colors, so it will still "look like the Devils". But it seems like there will be striping, font, ect changes.

Sounds like what the Flyers did 10 years ago.

philadelphia-flyers-simon-gagne-73-upperc4ae45a8635aab6a88f7e54db647c156.jpg

Cripes, let's hope not.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Devils actually have a much more logical color allocation than the Blackhawks do: everything red on one set is white on the other, all names/numbers are red or white outlined in black, all stripes are black surrounded by red or white. The helmet is the only element to go from white to black instead of white to red, but it's in service of making sure the helmet matches the breezers. It's all quite sensible, no wrinkles or quirks, which is good. Let everyone else have quirks.

Oh and yhollander is one of the low-key-funniest people here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I must say, I am really impressed with Boston's 2016 Winter Classic jersey. I think it is a great third. I wish they would have brought back the gold 2010 jersey but damn, the 1924 fauxback is a great third for Boston's already great jerseys. I think tonight would have been the perfect night for the Blackhawks to have worn their WC jersey from their game in St. Louis. I hope they will wear it for at least one other game this season.

Archived