NHL 2017-18

Bmac

Well, that wasn't so bad after all! And the teams that have made changes have mostly been upgrades, so that's something.

Avs: Anything would have been better than those generic Reebok jerseys. Even the Rockalanche thirds would have made for a nice rebrand. But this new one is pretty great. Throws back to a fan favourite, and simplifies the striping. This might already be their best yet.

Hurricanes: I didn't mind the Team Canada jerseys but they weren't really something they could call their own. This is way better, and like the Avs may very well be their best look yet. I especially dig the sublimated flag design in the hemstripe.

Flames & Sabres: They basically did the same thing as each other in getting rid of the useless piping on the front. They're not really what fans would have wanted, but for both teams that one small change has gone a long way.

Oilers: Not the Pacific Division team that I wanted to go orange, but it looks alright I guess. @Chazberg's version is better.

Wild: Now this I really like. Like the Panthers, it sucks that the chest stripe doesn't go all the way round but the simple number font probably necessitates that.

Preds: I've commented on them twice already, but now that I've slept on it this is probably the weakest of the bunch. It's not awful by any means, but they simplified it just a bit too much. It's better by default in getting rid of the bib piping though.

Devils: Well, I don't mind the redesign in itself. It's a lateral move if anything. But the reasons they came up with for the changes are kind of a stretch.

Sharks: All they did was change the shoulder patch. But I like the new patch, so I guess that's a win. Not so much on the white jersey though.

Blues: Unpopular opinion. I prefer the white numbers.

Knights: One of a few teams in NHL history to nail it on their first go. The grey works better than I expected as the base colour, and overall they've really done well in setting themselves apart from the Ducks in spite of drawing from the same influence.

Lightning: Turns out they ditched the laces. Fair enough.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Aw dammit, I liked their curved-font; it felt classy. At least their changing to a block font...still a downgrade, though.

I'm amazed that the Sens thought the biggest part that needed to be fixed was the font.  They kept the awful Edge template (maybe made it worse) but hey, at least they fixed what wasn't broken.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

Good for the central division looking like a rainbow. Personally i dont need and or necessarily want every division to be that colourful. Why do we need to see all the colours in the spectrum utilised for it to please us? The Pacific, Atlantic and metro look fine. I just want to see good designs. So long as every team doesnt use a variation of the same colour scheme im fine with it really.

Kings really need to bring the Purple in their pallet... the current jerseys look pathetic and drab... 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm amazed that the Sens thought the biggest part that needed to be fixed was the font.  They kept the awful Edge template (maybe made it worse) but hey, at least they fixed what wasn't broken.  

25 minutes ago, Shachihoko said:

Kings really need to bring the Purple in their pallet... the current jerseys look pathetic and drab... 

i cant agree to these more.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I left on page 140; I come back on page 173?  Yikes!

Seriously though, not too many major changes.  I'm cool with that.  Maybe the major changes will come when the alternate jerseys are unveiled...whenever that will happen.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

As a Wild fan and a designer, I wanted to take the night to sleep on it.  First takes can often be too reactionary.

Whist I have my complaints (the stripe not going around the whole sweater, no hemline, etc.)

This is their best dark jersey yet, and to that matter, they had perfection with the (now current) whites, so why change?

(Minnesota sports have long had teams with different home and away templates)

The Wild have always had a problem with their logo being so green, on a green background.  I think it calls for a bigger keyline then you'd functionally want to use.  Thats why they've trapped it in roundels or used a script. 

A center stripe is a damn clever way to solve this issue.  

I know a lot of you love the inaugural uniforms, but my unpopular opinion is that they were our second worst. (the reds they just retired with no hem stripe were awful.)

The gold was too prominent, the logo got lost on the greens.  The whites were okay, but the numbers were silly and hard to read.  

This is a new franchise, in a state that really likes to pat itself on its back for their hockey tradition.  The vintage stuff sells very well here.  Expect it moving forward.

This might have been answered in earlier posts - is the adidas dot ("adiDot") going to be on the front of game-worn, or just fan "authentics"?  It's seems stupid that a game-worn jersey has an adidas logo on the front as well as the back neck.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

After sleeping on it, my biggest gripe other than the Bruins socks is still the collars, but specifically the laceup ones.  The plain collar can work well if used correctly, but the way they just slapped the laces on looks like an afterthought and that they didn't want to have them, so they just put them on top of everything else to satisfy those who did. 

I'm in the air on the actual cut of the jerseys.  They pretty much have a standard cut and it reminds me a lot of the old, pre-edge one where you basically had a choice of rounded edge yokes or square at the shoulder stitching.  All of these jerseys have the same actual cut.  The strange part is the teams that required a rounded yoke have a Nike-esque wedge there to make up the difference, while still having the squared of shoulders.  Just seems like an interesting choice that makes me wonder if there is any real benefit (manufacturing perhaps?) in doing it this way compared to how the edge system did it. 

I'm hoping with more time and exposure the issues will lessen, and pray that some changes happen sooner rather than later.  Coming back to the Bruins socks, i actually was expecting them to go back to the old gold socks with the white stripe outlined in black.  looks like they went the other way.  Still don't like it.

Now that I've had a night to chill my boner on these

594a70b9b180f_2017-06-21at09-12-10.thumb.png.00cb239fc5fb948da29a996d1b67ec8b.png

This number treatment is not good. They'll have the same problem the Kings' numbers have and will look like white blobs from any distance. Also the black pants/helmets/gloves will look even more out of the place than they did in the original mountain striping run. 

Almost had it, Avs. Glad you're back though. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

594a70b9b180f_2017-06-21at09-12-10.thumb.png.00cb239fc5fb948da29a996d1b67ec8b.png

This number treatment is not good. They'll have the same problem the Kings' numbers have and will look like white blobs from any distance. Also the black pants/helmets/gloves will look even more out of the place than they did in the original mountain striping run. 

I am thrilled to have the mountain stripes back.  Yes there are some odd details but overall, watching a game on TV or in the rink, these will look so much better.

I am not sure what to do about the black pants and equipment.  Too much burgundy on the home if you go with burgundy pants.  Not enough burgundy on the road if you have blue pants.

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Is that really an issue with the Kings? I feel like the silver would disappear, and it would look like just white on a dark background. The silver flourishes on the Sabres' slug jerseys always seemed to disappear quickly.

Just now, Cosmic said:

Is that really an issue with the Kings? I feel like the silver would disappear, and it would look like just white on a dark background. The silver flourishes on the Sabres' slug jerseys always seemed to disappear quickly.

It's an issue for me because yes the silver disappears and it makes the numbers look thicker than they really are. I think they'd look much better as a single layer white number

USATSI_7886214_149008644_lowres.jpg

compare that to the white jerseys where the silver outline bleeds into the jersey and the numbers look less bloated. 

kings-4-8.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

10 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I am thrilled to have the mountain stripes back.  Yes there are some odd details but overall, watching a game on TV or in the rink, these will look so much better.

I am not sure what to do about the black pants and equipment.  Too much burgundy on the home if you go with burgundy pants.  Not enough burgundy on the road if you have blue pants.

Yes they look like the Avalanche again and that is a very good thing.

Is there a picture out there of the Avs new white jerseys?

I think I'd go with blue helmets and pants and then incorporate some kind of burgundy and silver striping on the sides to tie everything together. One thing that always bothered me about their black pants was they stuck out so much on the road because the only other black element was the numbers. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Even after the abomination of my Devils debacle of a sweater, anyone asking for Reebok's return needs a stiff cranial recalibration...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived