NHL 2017-18

Bmac

3 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Just a reminder...

If enough people rebel against it, maybe there's still time to fix Boston's socks and numbers. Didn't Tampa make a last-second change to their numbers and pants?

Indeed they did. I can only hope Boston makes a late change to their socks (I think I actually prefer their new numbers, though - not a fan of double outlines, in general).

It might be too late to change the jersey itself, given that they've started to sell them and would probably need a few months to update inventory (which no team wants to do at the start of the season), but the socks? Those can be changed in a heartbeat without worrying about merchandising concerns one bit.

Question is, when can the Devils switch back to their old jerseys? ;) I would guess they'd be allowed to next season, though I can easily see them wearing the new duds for 5 years or so, and then rolling out the old uniforms on the new template, with some cheesy "return to tradition" slogan. They'll need to wait a few years to change back if they want the "new" old uniforms to sell well.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually much prefer the Rangers' simple red collars with the lace-up to their old 90's collars. I love lace-ups in general, but they look especially great on the Rangers (and the simple red collar doesn't compete for attention with the lace-up or the striping on the Rangers' unis).

3 hours ago, bowld said:

Not sure why so many teams went with toilet bowl collars. You can clearly see the option of just coloring the inner stripe of the collar is an option (see Winnipeg). Wish my Canucks would have just done the inner color and left the outer collar the same color as the jersey itself

I did a little quick markup... This would've been really nice! 

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 12.23.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 12.20.33 PM.png

3 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It's a part of their hockey heritage...

1958_59%20Vancouver%20Canucks%20team%20p

Those would be perfectly fine college uniforms. Emphasis on college. Arched wordmarks over numbers (or logos, in this case) don't work at the professional level, especially not in the NHL. It's just not part of the aesthetic of professional hockey, and looks amateurish (much like a big wordmark on the front of a football uniforms does).

Both the orca and the wordmark are weak. I love the rest of the Canucks' uniform, but really wish they'd have this logo on the front:

mo4s55icd2yfae5f644c.png

Failing that, the skating Johnny Canuck would be an upgrade over the orca as well (always thought that logo would be perfect on the front of a third jersey).

Thing is I'm in the minority who thinks the arched script over the Orca is a cool feature unique to Vancover and part of their history, in a way. I can see why some people would prefer just the logo on the front, I think. I do question though why is the Rangers script generally accepted but not the Canucks? Both use scripts in the NHL.

5 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Just wondering why jerseys need to be matched? Montreal's jerseys don't match and they're one of the classic uniforms in all of sport.

Great post. This post should just be put up on the comments "Hall of Fame". 

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Thing is I'm in the minority who thinks the arched script over the Orca is a cool feature unique to Vancover and part of their history, in a way. I can see why some people would prefer just the logo on the front, I think. I do question though why is the Rangers script generally accepted but not the Canucks? Both use scripts in the NHL.

I think it's the difference between having a diagonal script versus an arched script. The diagonal script takes up the full chest, just like a chest logo.

For instance,

9575138-nhl-preseason-new-jersey-devils-

looks more professional than

IMG_2868.jpg

Though I will also say, the diagonal script is so identified with the Rangers that most other teams look like they're playing Rangers dress-up in it. Aesthetically, the "Pittsburgh" jerseys looked fine, but it always looked kike they were aping the Rangers. Like if a team wore a white/blue/white chest stripe, or red sleeves on a white uniform.

56 minutes ago, BigPhil39 said:

DC0WPz9U0AErzHC.jpg

I think the Preds look great once you see the uniform put together entirely. Their previous jerseys were so busy that it'll take time to get used to a more traditional look but I really like how it turned out.

I agree, I just wish the blue sleeves came up a little higher. I'm glad they also kept the strings on the numbers and piano collar.

I will say, I will forever dislike Reebok for introducing the no hem pajama bottom. Ruined so many jerseys and over the 10 years they had the contract, the Blackhawks(hem stripes,heavy logo and all) won 3 cups. Throw in the Bruins,Penguins(this year) too.

"our uniforms are mostly the same the only difference is we made them worse!"

What did they think would happen? Their fans respond accordingly and rightfully and their response is "not in the fashion business". Yeah well your customers hate your new look so you better get in the fashion business and in a hurry or you're not gonna be selling a lot of new jerseys (lol).

PvO6ZWJ.png

Scrolling through this thread I saw that the Hurricanes won't be revealing their white jersey until Friday. Think it will probably look something like this (without the black around the hurricane warning flags)?

9109357181_5a29a4f79c_o.png

53 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Those would be perfectly fine college uniforms. Emphasis on college. Arched wordmarks over numbers (or logos, in this case) don't work at the professional level, especially not in the NHL. It's just not part of the aesthetic of professional hockey, and looks amateurish (much like a big wordmark on the front of a football uniforms does).

Both the orca and the wordmark are weak. I love the rest of the Canucks' uniform, but really wish they'd have this logo on the front:

mo4s55icd2yfae5f644c.png

Failing that, the skating Johnny Canuck would be an upgrade over the orca as well (always thought that logo would be perfect on the front of a third jersey).

This is my favorite logo in the 2007 Canucks package, but now because of the thick blue lines I Can't Unsee a mischievous fish poking out of a stocking cap. "heh heh, glub glub"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived