NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ColeJ said:

i used to really admire and respect the entire devils organization. thought that even though i was a stars fan, the devils were like my organizational soulmate. how i'd want my team run, in a vacuum.

that obviously left with lou.

someone explain this logic to me:

redesign some long-standing uniforms because you want to be more modern and usher in a new era... sort of chicken out and do nothing but adjust line weights and drop the waist stripes... then when people tell them they shouldn't have done anything, they respond like "pssssh. we don't care about trivial things such as fashion."

IF YOU'RE "NOT A FASHION COMPANY" THEN WHY DID YOU GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO ALTER YOUR PERFECTLY FINE UNIFORMS TO BEGIN WITH? you can't belittle people for caring about aesthetics, as if you don't, when the entire reason they changed was because you thought they needed to change.

You basically sum up how us Devils fans feel. I never realized how good we had it with Lou until he has left. He was more than just a GM. He ran the team perfectly. Especially when it came to uniforms. He was only been gone for a few years and  it seems like almost every aspect of our tradition is gone now. Yes, we expected to get a black alternate jersey or something after Lou left, but nobody expected this...

2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Hugh Weber, while being bombarded with intense visceral hatred of the jerseys from Devils fans vowing never to buy them, tweeted out "I can't wait to see the Rock filled with these new jerseys next season"

I hope to see...

It would be great to see...

Another out of touch arrogant presumptous comment. What is he basing that on? The multiple petitions being created and signed to preserve our real uniforms? The thousands of complaints pouring in through social media? The loyal Devils fans vowing never to buy? The run on Reebok jerseys Devils fans are doing now?

Or maybe Hugh is just going to buy 17,600 jerseys?

I'm getting Hirschier or Patrick but it's going on the real uniform. However incorrect it is. It's more aesthetically pleasing and it actually looks like a hockey jersey rather than Kohls discount Devils sleepwear now featuring collars by the KC Scouts.

Hugh Weber could not be less in touch with the Devils fans. He has consistently done things that get negative reaction from fans and he doesn't care.  He really has no idea what he is doing. If you want to see something funny, look at all of the responses to his tweet that you mention (@hughweber1). How could you not see those reactions and immediately know that you :censored:ed up?

13 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Minnesota Wild Away:

DC3dbikXsAEyjDt.jpg

The home uniform should be based off of this design. Cream striping and numbers, with red outlines on the numbers (both back and arm). This is far superior to their home uniform.

That said, I wish the Wild would go with cream away uniforms that would be more consistent with the rest of their identity, and would also be very unique. I wonder if the NHL would even permit that...

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

That said, I wish the Wild would go with cream away uniforms that would be more consistent with the rest of their identity, and would also be very unique. I wonder if the NHL would even permit that...

They'd have to wear cream colored helmets and I think that would look like butt.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm fine with Minnesota mismatching, they've been doing it for years now anyway. It was worse before when none of the three jerseys seemed to have any common characteristics, but now I think it works, and they're both great jerseys. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

37 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The home uniform should be based off of this design. Cream striping and numbers, with red outlines on the numbers (both back and arm). This is far superior to their home uniform.

I agree.  I wish the home uniform was based off this design.  And I absolutely agree about the number outlines.  The fact that all numbers are outlined on the whites and they skip the sleeves on the greens seems arbitrary. Is it because the greens have a red stripe on each sleeve and outlined numbers would exceed the red quota?

I am OK with the use of cream at home and white on the road...I was not sure about the use of cream for the jersey and then I read this post:

27 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

They'd either have to wear cream colored helmets and I think that would look like butt.

So I think I'm content staying with white.

There is more cohesion between these two uniforms than there's been in recent history.  Nevertheless, I want more.  The Wild would be a top-10 set if they'd:

• Add red to the white gap on the road stripes.
  • Add red outline on the sleeve numbers at home.
  • Add the sleeve stripe pattern to the hem on the greens (whether the cream stripe is best or not; I'd go either way)
  • Maybe move the stripes lower on the sleeves on the greens? (May be dependent on what comes out of the above bullet)

I think I make more of a stink about this than most people, but I don't like marginalizing key colors (for teams that don't have too many colors).  The Vikings under-use yellow and I think the Wild under-use red, by a little.

Would I want the shoulder patches to match?  I'm not sure. I think both patches are solid and I can live with them not matching (and thank god they did not use the M on the left and the circle on the right or vice versa).  Gun to my head, I'll take the circle on both, but it's a small point.

The Wild are getting better.  After the inaugurals, I felt like most moves they made were bad.  But moving to the current road, combined with this is a step in the right direction.  It's going to be as good as they've ever looked, but if this basic philopshpy (traditional) would have been used from day 1 (i.e., before segregating/marginalizing team colors was trendy), they'd have been outstanding.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, McCarthy said:

They'd either have to wear cream colored helmets and I think that would look like butt.

Yeah, that's less than ideal, admittedly. It's too bad the NHL wouldn't allow them to wear green helmets both home and road, since that would pair wonderfully with cream jerseys.

42 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Hugh Weber could not be less in touch with the Devils fans. He has consistently done things that get negative reaction from fans and he doesn't care.  He really has no idea what he is doing. If you want to see something funny, look at all of the responses to his tweet that you mention (@hughweber1). How could you not see those reactions and immediately know that you :censored:ed up?

It's a massacre. Everywhere you look it's venom towards this. And we get no answers from the Devils.

Didn't see this posted, but recoloured Oilers logo from their website

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/290013862/binary-file/file.svg

Also, saw a tweet that showed grey helmets for the Knights

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

19 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Yeah, that's less than ideal, admittedly. It's too bad the NHL wouldn't allow them to wear green helmets both home and road, since that would pair wonderfully with cream jerseys.

when some (wrong) people on various Columbus Blue Jackets online discussion forums were clamoring for a full time change to the third jerseys with a matching "vintage white" road uniform this helmet issue was the hangup none of them thought about. One guy asked me to prove in the rulebook that you have to wear a white helmet with the white jerseys. He didn't believe me that was a rule. 

If the league let them wear colored helmets on the road with the sweaters I'd be more open to it, but the thought of a cream colored hockey helmet and matching that shade to the jersey color, which would likely be difficult, gives any non-white road sweater a big ole no for me. I do kind of like that the league requires white helmets and every game is guaranteed to have a helmet contrast. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

when some (wrong) people on various Columbus Blue Jackets online discussion forums were clamoring for a full time change to the third jerseys with a matching "vintage white" road uniform this helmet issue was the hangup none of them thought about. One guy asked me to prove in the rulebook that you have to wear a white helmet with the white jerseys. He didn't believe me that was a rule. 

If the league let them wear colored helmets on the road with the sweaters I'd be more open to it, but the thought of a cream colored hockey helmet and matching that shade to the jersey color, which would likely be difficult, gives any non-white road sweater a big ole no for me. I do kind of like that the league requires white helmets and every game is guaranteed to have a helmet contrast. 

I'd be interested in how a cream helmet would look in practice, though I agree that it'd be tough to match the shade of the jersey. 

I can't decide how I feel about the requirement for contrasting helmets. I remember not having any trouble telling the Rangers and Flyers apart in the 2012 Winter Classic, despite very close helmet colors:

2012+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+Classic+New+

(BTW, that Rangers jersey is evidence of how great a cream Wild jersey would look if it could be paired with a green helmet. But given the contrasting helmet rule, probably best to stick with white.)

13 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I'd be interested in how a cream helmet would look in practice...

I've thought about it before because I think the Wild in a cream road sweater would look great. The idea of a cream/vintage white/wheat helmet just always comes off looking terrible every time I imagine it, sadly. 

The Ottawa Senators paired black helmets with their cream fauxbacks for the Heritage Classic game against Vancouver. That was one game though. Not sure how the NHL would feel about Minnesota wearing green helmets for a full road schedule. 

After looking at the old Reebok versions side by side to the Adidas cut, the Adidas jersey is hands down better.

The hemstripes are much nicer: straight and not as scooping. (Chicago, Dallas, Pittsburgh are great examples.)

The arm stripes are custom to each team and not a template.  They are also straight and not curved.  (look at the Canadiens to see the curve vs. straight)

Besides New Jersey, every team is either the same or better than before.  Colorado and Carolina looking far and away better than before. Sure some collars look a little wonky but the overall design and fit of each jersey is far superior league wide.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

2012+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+Classic+New+

(BTW, that Rangers jersey is evidence of how great a cream Wild jersey would look if it could be paired with a green helmet. But given the contrasting helmet rule, probably best to stick with white.)

Seeing that Rangers' cream jersey reminds me of how good it was.  The overcast/wintery day adds to the coolness.

The Wild could clearly pull off a cream jersey for the Winter Classic/Stadium Series.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I've thought about it before because I think the Wild in a cream road sweater would look great. The idea of a cream/vintage white/wheat helmet just always comes off looking terrible every time I imagine it, sadly. 

I think about it and my brain goes to this

f252ds.jpg

edit: I imagine they'd look sort of like this

594c13574609d_CreamHelmets.thumb.png.33a57edf5c323a7ebea2aa65264e6d08.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived