NHL 2017-18

Bmac

3 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Sens won zero Cups with the Centurion but the original Sens won several Cups with the =O=.

Nevertheless, I would be more than happy with the updated 2D logo than the Messier-glare 3D look.

It kinda does look like Messier. I never drew that comparison.

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Funnily enough the O's actually connected to a couple Cups while the Roman theme just isn't ;)

4 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Sens won zero Cups with the Centurion but the original Sens won several Cups with the =O=.

It doesn't matter, it's not the same team.  The current Senators have zero cups, regardless of what logo they decide to use.

Wow that Senators anniversary logo is horrific, it's like a school kid has got hold of the photoshop Gradient panel. 

The old school circular logo is miles better and the team should definitely look at reverting to that.  

logo.png

May as well be, which is my whole point about the lack of positive semiotic value an O holds (unless you pretty it up a lot like the old Obama logo, but this is not that; the new 2D centurion may as well be an O, then).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the people making these "0 cups" jokes also call the Habs logo a toilet seat. 

A plain O is definitely not the most interesting, but when you add the stripes it evokes the tradition of a city with one of the richest hockey histories in the world. 

Just because they are a separate franchise from the original Sens, it doesn't mean they can't dress like them. Just ask the Washington Nationals. 

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the people making these "0 cups" jokes also call the Habs logo a toilet seat. 

A plain O is definitely not the most interesting, but when you add the stripes it evokes the tradition of a city with one of the richest hockey histories in the world. 

Just because they are a separate franchise from the original Sens, it doesn't mean they can't dress like them. Just ask the Washington Nationals. 

Exactly. The old Sens don't exist in any form, so it's not like the new Sens would be infringing on anyone else's history. 

Ottawa has a hockey history on par with Montreal and Toronto. They ought to emphasise that with the Senators' identity. Not stick with with a Roman gladiator logo and goofy faux-Latin custom number font.

If the O-stripes comes back to be the dominant look, let me say I loved the Roman theme, and it seemed cooler when the building was the Palladium.  The laurel leave jerseys were great.  The profile logo is still awesome and hopefully sticks around.  The bland unis kinda ruined it.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the 2D Sen logo with a template similar to the heritage jersey would be the best way to go, with the stripes moved to the hem. The Sens should probably wear black at home because it was their original look, and they would be the only Canadian team to do so. 

Also the Jets should keep their current logo, drop the aviator blue and move towards a striping similar to the 90s Jets set, with the updated colours. I think that would give both ownership and fans something they want, while sticking with the best logo they've ever had.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The plain O is not remotely interesting and that's the point.  Stripes or not, it barely has enough merits to stand as an effective shoulder patch.

I agree they should pay homage to their history and that is exactly what their 1991/92 look did.  The red and black stripes were retained with a subtle barber-pole effect, and they were finally given a logo with some substance to rally around.  Adding gold was also a great way to differentiate themselves from the other red and black teams and helped them forge an identity of their own.  The original Senators look achieved everything it needed to and looked pretty doing so.  Something similar, with the updated 2D Centurion, could result in one of the best looks in league.

I think if anyone in hockey could pull off a soccer-esque "City Name HC" it could be Ottawa. Gives them an excuse to go full retro, lose the Roman theme, and brand based on Ottawa and Os instead of any team name. That said I think their current alternate and matching outdoor game one are bottom 5 looks in the league. 

Ovechkin, he has those pieces sewn on so he can still roll his sleeves. I've never seen him not have a set that matches the jersey he's in, all star and outdoor one-offs included. 

8 minutes ago, insert name said:

There seems to be a little dot in the back of the all-star game jerseys near the bottom, what is that? 

It's an NHL PA logo and it's been there since at least 2014. 

Archived