NHL 2017-18

Bmac

35 minutes ago, twi said:

I think if anyone in hockey could pull off a soccer-esque "City Name HC" it could be Ottawa. Gives them an excuse to go full retro, lose the Roman theme, and brand based on Ottawa and Os instead of any team name. That said I think their current alternate and matching outdoor game one are bottom 5 looks in the league. 

The "full retro" look worked with the "Senators" name for decades. Well ok. It wasn't "retro" at the time, but still :P An "O" on barberpole stripes being paired with the Senators name has a Cup-winning history. 

The biggest problem with the fauxback look they use is the vintage white. Standard white would pop so much more.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The "full retro" look worked with the "Senators" name for decades. Well ok. It wasn't "retro" at the time, but still :P An "O" on barberpole stripes being paired with the Senators name has a Cup-winning history. 

The biggest problem with the fauxback look they use is the vintage white. Standard white would pop so much more.

Another problem is the consistency of the stripe thickness.

qgkpafl7m552vibx6fh3s572z.gif

My solution would be to shrink the center stripes to match the sleeves, while similarly altering the hem stripes (taking into account the curved hem). Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to incorporate the gold from the Roman theme into the "O" logo. Heck, the "O" logo could get a bit of an upgrade (as done by @hockey week):

OttawaSenators1970slogo.jpg?t=1276631506

It could use some tweaking (namely the addition of metallic gold and the simplification/removal of the leaf pattern), but I think it's a solid way to get more out of the "O" logo.

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the people making these "0 cups" jokes also call the Habs logo a toilet seat. 

A plain O is definitely not the most interesting, but when you add the stripes it evokes the tradition of a city with one of the richest hockey histories in the world. 

Just because they are a separate franchise from the original Sens, it doesn't mean they can't dress like them. Just ask the Washington Nationals. 

If the Nationals can look like the Senators, then the Senators can look like the Senators!

5 hours ago, Davey said:

I think one thing that stood out to me during this all-star game was, not having the numbers on front of the hockey helmets. It was ... refreshing. 

Try again

cut.jpg

633037050.0.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I watched the first period/game of the AS Game while working out so I had no sound and had to look up at a standard-def TV...but it was a nice enough one...37 inches or so.  And  I usually could not distinguish the black vs. the purple.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I guess they thought the white sleeves, gloves, helmets would be enough to distinguish the purple from the black, but at times it was tough. They should've made the Atlantic Purple, the Central white, and the Metro yellow and then hoped the Atlantic and pacific didn't meet in the championship. Would've come with the added benefit of created a purple vs yellow matchup and a black and silver matchup, which is the Kings two best color schemes. 

I give the uniforms an A-. I really liked the large logo for each club on the pants leg. Take off the stars and the black and white jerseys and that would be a definite upgrade for the Kings. The Hollywood sign number font is a drastic improvement over their existing font. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 1/27/2017 at 5:42 PM, poser said:

The photo is from the Sharks official page but there is no mention of why the numbers are misisng

http://sharks.ice.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=67738

It still shows this, when I read from the link you sent:

To decrease the weight of the sweater, the black shoulder cap was removed.... Even more weight was cut out by removing the stripes on the body of the sweater.

:lol:

On 1/24/2017 at 5:45 PM, Rollins Man said:

seems like a step back honestly. 

A big step back, to be honest. I've always hated that uneven striping pattern. I get that the Devils were going for a certain "consistency" between the home and road uniforms, but it looks absolutely terrible on the home uniform. And the stripes appear to be uneven in width, to boot.

The Devils uniform is perfect as it is. No need for any changes - it's a modern classic.

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

the Habs logo a toilet seat.

When I was a kid I thought the Habs logo was a horizontal Horseshoe with an "H" inside it.

I miss being a kid. I would always watch hockey in my comfy little shell. Sigh. That was before the weight of the World crushed my spirits.

negarp.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I guess they thought the white sleeves, gloves, helmets would be enough to distinguish the purple from the black, but at times it was tough. They should've made the Atlantic Purple, the Central white, and the Metro yellow and then hoped the Atlantic and pacific didn't meet in the championship. Would've come with the added benefit of created a purple vs yellow matchup and a black and silver matchup, which is the Kings two best color schemes. 

I give the uniforms an A-. I really liked the large logo for each club on the pants leg. Take off the stars and the black and white jerseys and that would be a definite upgrade for the Kings. The Hollywood sign number font is a drastic improvement over their existing font. 

Each uniform, on its own, was pretty decent compared to most ASG uniforms.  Maybe the purple needed yellow trim to set it apart?  Because my first thought was to split up the purple and black in the first round, leaving only a 25% chance that they'd meet.  But why even set up for that?  Obviously, they wanted colors that were part of LA Kings history so maybe the purple ones could have been more of a nod to the 1980s as opposed to the 2000s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This could easily be settled.

A full 60 minute East vs. West All Star Game with the uniforms being Purple or Black vs White or Yellow. 

Because the uniforms themselves on their own, are the best they have had in a very long time. I actually wouldn't mind owning one. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Each uniform, on its own, was pretty decent compared to most ASG uniforms.  Maybe the purple needed yellow trim to set it apart?  Because my first thought was to split up the purple and black in the first round, leaving only a 25% chance that they'd meet.  But why even set up for that?  Obviously, they wanted colors that were part of LA Kings history so maybe the purple ones could have been more of a nod to the 1980s as opposed to the 2000s.

Hopefully they take the good from these ASG unis, and add to it. Knowing the NHL, though, next season may be a "two steps back" deal.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

So, no alternate jerseys next season and the Oilers will wear the Orange jersey at home full time. Except for that, what do we know so far about next year's uniforms chaning?

20 pages of reading is fundamental. Maybe this is why Quebec doesn't have a team

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

8 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

the Oilers will wear the Orange jersey at home full time.

You know. I was upset about this at first. But I actually dig those GULF OIL uniforms. In fact wasn't that why they were orange and blue to begin with? I remember reading (I think it was in Scott Surgent's WHA history book), that they were sponsored by Gulf in 1972 so they picked the Gulf colors for their uniform.

992aed00178f6a746ec6eca0b25be856.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

Archived