NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I mean, in a vacuum it's not bad. But they pretty much perfected bringing back the classic look and they were good in it. Why change? 

giphy.gif

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

29 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

This is the best the Oilers ever looked. Come at me:

Oilers14.png

http://nhluniforms.com/Oilers/Oilers06.html

The copper and red were pretty brilliant. I kinda liked the yoke version.  

25521.jpg

Though when you win five Cups in blue and orange, it's tough to think another color scheme is better.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

34 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The copper and red were pretty brilliant. I kinda liked the yoke version.  

25521.jpg

Though when you win five Cups in blue and orange, it's tough to think another color scheme is better.

Aesthetically, the navy and copper is nicer than bright royal blue and bright orange, if you put history aside.

But that scheme is a product of the late 90s/early 2000s. Which is why they went with a best-of-both-worlds mix for their new look. The people in charge did not want their team to have a look, in their opinions, that's stuck in the 80s.

Navy and copper is nice, but I don't personally like the red.  It's just one step too far.

And having the extra outline around the numbers (white on the whites, blue on the blues) is extra clutter and makes them less legible.  Significantly less legible, in the case of the whites.

I definitely think that's the best they've ever looked. The red was subtle...for some time I thought the copper/red was a dark orange.  I thought it worked well.  

Then they went out and became the most head-scratching team in that whole Edge overhaul.  That, combined with nostalgia for the good days probably doomed this color scheme.  But the Oilers could have gone with this (I'm partial to the yoke, but either way) forever and I'd have been OK with that.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Why the red? I never understood. In using red on the names/numbers, you're almost making copper, the faded-out successor to orange, their tertiary color. With just copper and navy they would have been a fine enough update for the gloomy late-'90s/2000s, but like so many dark-fade teams they had to go home eventually. And they did, it was great, but now they look like Hockey Chicago Bears for some reason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You ever over sharpen a raster graphic of a jersey? I used to make mods for the NHL series on PC and I'd sharpen my jerseys before installing them, since I found it helped with such small canvases back in the day.

When I learned the Oilers stripes had copper AND red, it reminded me of how a low-res jersey graphic would look if you sharpened the hell out of it. Almost like an oversharp blue and orange. The copper is what is left of the orange and the red is that pixel of oversharp artifact along the edge.

I always thought it was pretty brilliant, and probably had it's genesis in some graphic designer's chance experiment in Photoshop.

I'm basing that on absolutely zero fact, however.

That's a very interesting and accurate observation but I have serious doubts that jpeg artifacting would inspire a uniform design in 1996.

I have no doubts that jpeg artifacting will inspire a uniform design in 2018 and Brandiose will tell us all about it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If anybody was interested in picking up Reebok Kings stuff, their Team LA Store is having a pretty nice sale through July 23 - LINK

Last year's home and roads are $60. The gold throwback alt is $45. Then there's a bunch of other crap, but actually pretty good sales prices. (Although one could argue the $80 polo shirts being knocked down to $30 is just putting them at the price they should've always been.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Some shots of McDavid in the new uniform:

msyxySC.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks this looks great?  If they're going to go orange, better they use the striping they've used for their entire history instead of the generic, Canucks-eqsue stripes from the WHA inspired alternate.

11 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Am I the only one who thinks this looks great?  If they're going to go orange, better they use the striping they've used for their entire history instead of the generic, Canucks-eqsue stripes from the WHA inspired alternate.

Far from it, imo.

18 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I don't like how dark the navy looks, it's almost black. They should've brightened it up a little more. Hopefully the lighting makes it more appealing on ice.

Just the lighting, IMO. It looked great under the bright lights of the draft when Yamamoto wore it.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Quick glance at this and I swear I thought he was missing hands

The oil rigger shoulder patch is right there with the Isles' lighthouse in my collection of "Actually, the mid-'90s had some good design ideas."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived