NHL 2017-18

Bmac

33 minutes ago, twi said:

Looking ahead to 2018-19 already, the Lightning are sending an email survey out today for fans' input on a new third jersey. Questions are going to include color preference, to 'bolts' or not to 'bolts', style preference (traditional, modern, 'one off'), and the like. 

More teams need to do this.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, twi said:

Looking ahead to 2018-19 already, the Lightning are sending an email survey out today for fans' input on a new third jersey. Questions are going to include color preference, to 'bolts' or not to 'bolts', style preference (traditional, modern, 'one off'), and the like. 

I received this survey email today.

It started off by asking if you own Lightning jerseys, then asked how many, then asked which design was your favorite.  Options included images of every jersey style the Lightning have worn since '92. Then they asked "in a few words, why we chose our favorite"

The next section said what color do you prefer the third jersey be.  Color choices were"

- Black

- Silver/Gray

- White

- Blue

- Other

Next question was what secondary accent color (letterin, numbers, etc) would you prefer, with the same 5 choices as above.

Next question was choose the following statement that best describes you:

- I would prefer the new alternatejersey to be simple in sesign for a more sleek modern look with minimal stripes or accents

- I would prefer the new alternte to have more stripes, colors and/or accents

Then was asked "how important it was to include BOLTS on the jersey" as well as "creating a new look for an alternate jersey" with the following responses:

- Very Important

- Important

- Not Very important

- Not important at all

- The BOLTS question also included "I would prefer it to NOT say BOLTS

Nextquestion was "Choose the following statement that best describes what you would like in an alternate jersey:

- I prefer traditional/throwback jerseys

-I prefer modern style jerseys

-I prefer specialty jerseys (ie. stadium series) that are unlike other jerseys

-I like all types of jerseys equally

-I do not care about the jersey style as long as its a Lightning jersey

Then asked if a new name/number style would encourage you to buy as new alternate jersey as well as how likely you would be to purchase the new Lightning alternate jersey

I took the survey.  I picked a preferred silver jersey with a new number style.  I also emphasized the return of victory stripes in the free response section at the end.

I forgot whether I preferred a minimalist design or an accented design.  It'd be cool to see something the Lightning have never done before, but nothing crazy.  I already had to suffer that being a Bucs fan.

oh, and no to BOLTS

What do they have against the uniform they lifted the Stanley Cup in?  It would be so easy and so logical to simply put the current logo, with black and silver worked into it, on that uniform.  It would honor the history of the franchise, create a strong secondary mark and would likely look pretty good.

3 hours ago, twi said:

Yeah, who wants fan input? 

I think the problem is that uniforms designed via focus groups rarely make anyone happy. See the Chargers trying to make both the powder blue and navy fans happy by including both.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think the problem is that uniforms designed via focus groups rarely make anyone happy. See the Chargers trying to make both the powder blue and navy fans happy by including both.

There are fans of the navy not named Spanos?

3 hours ago, twi said:

Yeah, who wants fan input? 

Fan input can be good, and it can be really bad.  Too many chefs in the kitchen kind of thing.  And fans usually aren't the great "chefs".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, I want fan input when it comes to uniform design to be as minimal as possible and I don't want big decisions held to a vote. Design by focus group rarely works out well. 

A fan knows what he or she wants. Fans plural all want different things and if you put it to them it's going to come out in a big mess that pleases nobody. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

More teams need to do this.

No, no they don't. Those of us, on these boards represent a small percentage of sports fans. The majority of sports fans are clueless, when it comes to good design concepts. Sure they can recognize "good" and "bad" jerseys, but can't really pinpoint what makes them such.

Then you have those who love distinct and different for the sake of being such. Like Preds fans who love the Mustards (*shudders*).

For example, I'm a Tucson Roadrunners AHL STH. They just held a vote for the STH exclusive reward jersey. I know a lot of people who voted for the brick and sand one, and am slightly afraid that it'll win.

image_STMJerseyVote1.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived