NHL 2017-18

Bmac

19 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

The rumor was that Adidas was experimenting with a jersey design that looked like chain mail/armor. Hopefully Foley didn't mean that the helmets would look like knight helmets or something ridiculous

Oh God no.. Not the helmet. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

For the second straight Saturday, the Flyers are wearing their anniversary white uniforms in a game against a California team. Regardless of whether that's scheduled or not (pretty sure the Flyers are wearing them for about every Saturday home game), it's a total dick move given their opponent(s). 

Help me out here. Don't get what you mean. Genuinely just want to understand what you're saying.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

2 hours ago, charliehustle said:

Help me out here. Don't get what you mean. Genuinely just want to understand what you're saying.

West coast teams that would typically only need to bring one set of equipment (their road whites) with them on a road trip are now forced to bring two sets to accommodate the Flyers choosing to wear their white anniversary jerseys. It's a nightmare for the equipment staff.

On 2/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, Toronto206 said:

The rumor was that Adidas was experimenting with a jersey design that looked like chain mail/armor.

And one shoulder will be made out of a revolutionary see-through material.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

West coast teams that would typically only need to bring one set of equipment (their road whites) with them on a road trip are now forced to bring two sets to accommodate the Flyers choosing to wear their white anniversary jerseys. It's a nightmare for the equipment staff.

Aaaah.. gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

This just occurred to me in regards to this argument. Given how alt jerseys are scheduled in advance, do the teams actually lug both sets of uniforms along the whole trip, or simply fly them to the single destination city for that one game?

Example: Anaheim has an east coast road trip in Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Tampa. The Flyers are going to wear their anniversary whites, so rather than lug all their home gear through Boston and Pittsburgh, they just have a couple staffers fly with it to Philly, then fly back to Anaheim with it. 

Typically this argument makes it sound like teams are dragging both sets with them the whole trip which is logistically stupid. I'm sure teams plan it out so it's not that big a deal. Extra cost, sure. 

It is stupid logistically to lug both sets around, which is why it appears teams have only brought out the one set.  It would also not make any sense to have staff fly ahead, then back with the extra set of equipment since you would need every single staff member to help set up in the city they currently play in.  

On 2/6/2017 at 7:16 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

Wasn't there a report somewhere that all teams would be looking at wearing jerseys of their past for the 100 year anniversary? Also weren't the Leafs going to be doing something like the Habs did and wear a bunch of different jerseys from their past? The only new Leafs jersey was the outdoor one.

Would be the perfect time for the Wild to negotiate something with Dallas to get the Minnesota North Stars history back, since the Wild's look hasn't changed a whole ton in their almost 20 year existence. Not overly likely though at this point. 

Not changing until the Dallas Stars give all their pre-Dallas history, logos, colors, unis, name, etc. to the Minnesota Wild.

24 minutes ago, tdk1984 said:

Would be the perfect time for the Wild to negotiate something with Dallas to get the Minnesota North Stars history back, since the Wild's look hasn't changed a whole ton in their almost 20 year existence. Not overly likely though at this point. 

No. Just no. The Dallas Stars have done a good job honouring their history. They shouldn't have to give it to a team it doesn't belong to.

The Wild have a great identity, on the whole, and it'd be even better if they could settle on a uniform design and a consistent home uniform color. The only (gigantic) flaw is their terrible name.

After over 20 years (and a Stanley Cup) in Dallas, there's no way they should lose the Stars identity. And the Wild's identity is beautifully designed and has been around for over 15 years - it should stay as-is.

1 minute ago, jujubeans said:

History belongs to the city it happened in. Fight me nerds :P

And the franchise that it happened to as well... End of Discussion...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I wonder if a Wild championship would be enough to put this conversation out of its misery.

One would think so, though I think there will always be a certain contingent of hockey fans of a certain age who grew up with the North Stars, and will always want that identity back in Minnesota. I would hope that both franchises having won championships in their new locations would finally squelch that discussion, but I doubt it would.

FWIW, anyone under the age of 25 or so in Minnesota or Dallas has grown up with the Dallas Stars and the Minnesota Wild - I'm sure most of those fans wouldn't want to lose their respective teams' identities. Or older fans who have become attached to those teams. Even for me, in my late 20's, I barely remember the North Stars, and certainly identify the Stars identity with Dallas. This isn't a Hornets-to-Charlotte situation in the least bit - not that it ever was to begin with, but that ship sailed away when the Stars raised the Cup in 1999.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:17 PM, kroywen said:

One would think so, though I think there will always be a certain contingent of hockey fans of a certain age who grew up with the North Stars, and will always want that identity back in Minnesota. I would hope that both franchises having won championships in their new locations would finally squelch that discussion, but I doubt it would.

FWIW, anyone under the age of 25 or so in Minnesota or Dallas has grown up with the Dallas Stars and the Minnesota Wild - I'm sure most of those fans wouldn't want to lose their respective teams' identities. Or older fans who have become attached to those teams. Even for me, in my late 20's, I barely remember the North Stars, and certainly identify the Stars identity with Dallas. This isn't a Hornets-to-Charlotte situation in the least bit - not that it ever was to begin with, but that ship sailed away when the Stars raised the Cup in 1999.

A Stanley Cup didn't stop Mighty Ducks nostalgia from cropping up. Then again, both the Wild and Stars have beautiful identities (save for the "Wild" name), so I doubt things would transpire like they have for the Ducks.

Also, unlike the Ducks, the people who remember the North Stars aren't suddenly buying a bunch of retro gear to necessitate an embrace of an older identity from their childhood. A whole generation has grown up without the North Stars, but rather with the Wild and Dallas Stars.

The people who want the North Stars back are what happens when you take the nastiest elements of the Padres' "Bring Back the Brown" movement (the ones who openly insult people who like the Padres in navy) and combine it with the rhetoric behind "Cleveland had a special relationship with the Browns. You need to be from there to understand." It's a nasty crowd, but it's thankfully a minority.

Archived