NHL 2017-18

Bmac

20 minutes ago, Bmac said:

The fact that my favorite hockey team has such a horrible name will always bother me. The identity is great, and I love the team, but I cannot stand having to reply with the word "Wild" when someone asks who my favorite hockey team is.

It is really bad.  They nailed the visual identity as well as possible. Even so, I'd be all for a name change...which is not my usual philosophy. That said the North Stars ship has long since sailed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, coltravesty said:

seems like NHL is pushing the third jersey logo of Colorado. It's on more product as the months pass. Is this thing being promoted to primary? Does anyone know the Colorado Avalanche jersey plans for next season? 

There's been speculation that the Avs may go in that direction with their branding, but at the moment nobody knows for sure.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

8 hours ago, Bmac said:

The fact that my favorite hockey team has such a horrible name will always bother me. The identity is great, and I love the team, but I cannot stand having to reply with the word "Wild" when someone asks who my favorite hockey team is.

The name is really the one weak link in that identity. The color scheme is gorgeous and perfect for Minnesota, and the bear logo is a true work of art, and one of the best "modern" sports logos ever.

The name drags the entire identity package down a bit though. Excluding a certain football team in Washington for obvious reasons, I honestly think that "Minnesota Wild" is the worst name in all of the Big 4 right now - even worse than "Miami Heat" or "Oklahoma City Thunder" (catching a trend here?).

It's tough after 17 seasons (and counting) with the Wild name, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a name change. The "Wild" name will always be a bit cringeworthy and incredibly dated. It's not often that I'd be okay with a well-established team changing its name, but I think it might be warranted with the Wild. FWIW, I'd say that for the Toronto Raptors as well: another incredibly dated name.

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

Only if the scenery-bear sticks around as their primary logo.  Best logo in the league.

It really is a terrific logo and color scheme.  

Who'd have thought they'd be able to do so well with a logo/identity for a name like "Wild?"  It almost gives me pause in wanting to dump the name.  But it's just such a terrible name.  Despite the great effort on the visuals, if I could go back and time and take "Voyageurs" I'd do it and hope the designers could do an equally great job.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

44 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The name is really the one weak link in that identity. The color scheme is gorgeous and perfect for Minnesota, and the bear logo is a true work of art, and one of the best "modern" sports logos ever.

The name drags the entire identity package down a bit though. Excluding a certain football team in Washington for obvious reasons, I honestly think that "Minnesota Wild" is the worst name in all of the Big 4 right now - even worse than "Miami Heat" or "Oklahoma City Thunder" (catching a trend here?).

It's tough after 17 seasons (and counting) with the Wild name, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a name change. The "Wild" name will always be a bit cringeworthy and incredibly dated. It's not often that I'd be okay with a well-established team changing its name, but I think it might be warranted with the Wild. FWIW, I'd say that for the Toronto Raptors as well: another incredibly dated name.

This post sums up how I feel.  Great Identity.  Dragged down by bad name.  Worse than names like "Heat" and "Thunder."  Those are bad but at least everyone "gets" those right way.

And after over 15 years, I don't support name changes.  Teams/franchises should have consistent identities (Bullets/Wizards, etc.) when they can.  And "Wild" may be the only name (outside of DC Pigskin) that I'd change.  That's how bad it is.  The only place I disagree with this post is the Raptors...it was never a great name and you could argue it's outdated because it rode the wave of a popular movie, but it's still a suitable name.

POTD (Shared)

14 hours ago, jujubeans said:

History belongs to the city it happened in. Fight me nerds :P

giphy.gif

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

38 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Based on their season-by-season record, I only have one question to ask.

What history?

To be honest, in the Dallas vs. Minnesota "rightful claim to Stars identity" battle (if such a thing exists), I'd argue that Dallas has the upper hand:

Dallas Stars:

Seasons: 23

Stanley Cup Championships: 1

Conference Championships: 2

Division Championships: 8

Presidents' Trophies: 2
Playoff Appearances: 14

Regular Season Record: 905-593-125

Minnesota North Stars:

Seasons: 26

Stanley Cup Championships: 0

Conference Championships: 2

Division Championships: 2

Presidents' Trophies: 0

Playoff Appearances: 17

Regular Season Record: 758-970-334 (you read that right: a team that went 758-970 over the course of 26 years managed to make the playoffs 17 times in that stretch)

Hard to believe, but in two years' time, the Stars will have been located in Dallas longer than they were in Minnesota. I feel sorry for Minnesota fans who lost their beloved hockey team two decades ago, but it's Dallas' team now. There's fans there with just as much an emotional investment in the Stars as folks up in Minnesota had years ago.

Poor North Stars. They had a couple great Cinderella teams about 10 years apart in the 80's/90's. Unfortunately they ran into the Islanders dynasty and Lemieux's Penguins in the Finals and never really stood much of a chance (yes I know they led the latter one 2-1 at one point). 

The NHL failing in Minnesota was a travesty that should've never happened (and may not have had they won in 91) but it did, and you have a pretty solid new franchise now for 15+ years. Time to move on. 

40 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Poor North Stars. They had a couple great Cinderella teams about 10 years apart in the 80's/90's. Unfortunately they ran into the Islanders dynasty and Lemieux's Penguins in the Finals and never really stood much of a chance (yes I know they led the latter one 2-1 at one point). 

The NHL failing in Minnesota was a travesty that should've never happened (and may not have had they won in 91) but it did, and you have a pretty solid new franchise now for 15+ years. Time to move on. 

I am quite certain many have. While there are some who are still attached to the North Stars, We now have an awesome hockey team that I am certain won't move any time soon

Since most would agree that the Dallas Stars and Minnesota North Stars are the same franchise, why can't Dallas pay full homage to the original team and go with Kelly Green, Black and Athletic Gold?  It's such a great look, I don't understand why it has to remain dormant.

37 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

I am quite certain many have. While there are some who are still attached to the North Stars, We now have an awesome hockey team that I am certain won't move any time soon

I'm convinced that much of this longing for the North Stars has less to do with losing the name as it does losing that spectacular North Stars logo. As much as I, like most of you, love the Wild logo but hate the name, the North Stars had the perfect mix of both, along with a spectacular color scheme. It's just a shame that such a fantastic set, which was once ours, is now no longer in use. 

50 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

The North Stars final season in Minnesota was my senior year of high school.  So, while there are certainly more Wild seasons in my memory by now, I'll never be totally moved on from it.  I cheer for the Wild and I'm hoping the randomness of hockey can bring this town the championship the Vikes, Twins, and Wolves will never deliver.  But I'll never feel about the Wild the way I did about the North Stars.  But as you can see by the first sentence, I am getting older...fans just a few years younger than I have only vague memories of the North Stars.  I'd guess half the population has decent memory of the North Stars and a third have none...and of course that will continue to shift in the Wild's favor.  

The prevalence of "retro gear" has some very young people wearing North Stars gear, but they don't really "feel" anything for the North Stars; not like I do.  For the most part the Twin Cities and Minnesota have moved on.  Whether it's location, the realization that it can all be taken away, or something else, this team is much more supported than the North Stars ever were.  

The Bobcats almost needed to become the Hornets just to survive.  We clearly don't need that in Minnesota.  So it's time to stop with the "bring back the North Stars" stuff.  If there's a movement to change the name to something non-terrible, I'll listen but this is the team and for the most part, people here are just fine with it.

20 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm convinced that much of this longing for the North Stars has less to do with losing the name as it does losing that spectacular North Stars logo. As much as I, like most of you, love the Wild logo but hate the name, the North Stars had the perfect mix of both, along with a spectacular color scheme. It's just a shame that such a fantastic set, which was once ours, is now no longer in use. 

I do agree with this.  It was great.  Before the "Stars" logo, it aged well with the times, as did the jerseys.  Hockey is definitely my top "uniform/logo nostalgia" sport in no small part because of the 1980s North Stars.  If I were king, we'd have the Dallas Armadillos and the Minnesota North Stars in a Winnipeg Jets (not Hornets/Bobcats/Pelicans mess) situation from day 1.  But it did not happen and it's too late now.

POTD (Shared)

36 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Since most would agree that the Dallas Stars and Minnesota North Stars are the same franchise, why can't Dallas pay full homage to the original team and go with Kelly Green, Black and Athletic Gold?  It's such a great look, I don't understand why it has to remain dormant.

I have no proof of this, but it's just my guess based on various interviews that have come out since the last Stars rebrand.

Apparently either the owner or someone else high up with the team wanted navy and silver, with black highlights. Then Modano and a few other former Stars players came on board and said "you can't lose the green!" 

I also recall some executive or owner dismissing a question about losing the gold saying something along the lines of "stars in a night sky don't look gold."

So based on all of that? I'm guessing the current owners (who set this whole thing in motion) really didn't like the gold and wanted to be blue and silver. Cooler heads prevailed and got them to agree to green in place of blue, but they held firm on the "no gold" thing.

a lot of it has to do with the way metallic gold turns into baby-poop when used in flat printing like pennants and tshirts and stuff... rather than change the old metallic gold to a flat yellow like the north stars used, he decided we'd be better suited to silver, which usually looks just fine as "grey."

however, as someone who covered the stars uniform redesign very closely for defendingbigd, i can definitively state that the stars don't consider silver to really be a team color. the redesign was to simplify the look and bring them in line with original 6 and second 6 aesthetics. they wanted to be green and black. two colors, like philly's orange and black, montreal's red and blue, boston's black and yellow, and chicago's red and black.

the silver is only used in the logos, and really only noticed in flat-printing for depth of the bevel. even on the uniforms themselves it looks less like green, silver, and black, and more like a logo that is white with metallic shading.

ideally i would like to see the stars wear victory green and yellow, but not bad enough to want to redesign what we've got now. uniforms and logos and color schemes evolve. i'm not convinced the north stars wouldn't be a green and black team right now if they'd never moved. it's just a natural progression to darken the scheme a little bit while still having that eye catching shade of green that is so popular with the fans.

i truly think the only thing that isn't perfect with the stars uniforms is the duck-tail diaper effect... and that's more template issues than actual team identity issues.

for a team that has trotted out both the mooterus and the green-less DALLAS set during my fandom, i'm content with what we've got. i'll live without yellow if it means we don't try to fix something that isn't broken, and ultimately break it. 

Archived