NHL 2017-18

Bmac

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Poor North Stars. They had a couple great Cinderella teams about 10 years apart in the 80's/90's. Unfortunately they ran into the Islanders dynasty and Lemieux's Penguins in the Finals and never really stood much of a chance (yes I know they led the latter one 2-1 at one point). 

The NHL failing in Minnesota was a travesty that should've never happened (and may not have had they won in 91) but it did, and you have a pretty solid new franchise now for 15+ years. Time to move on. 

The blame for the North Stars failing in Minnesota lies largely at the feet of Norm Green. The sexual harassment lawsuit, the refusal to move to the Target Center largely because of conflicts with their soda sponsorship, the terrible financial difficulties of his non-hockey businesses (which eventually forced him to sell the Dallas Stars), the unwillingness to put any money toward building a new arena... he completely destroyed any chance that franchise had of staying in Minnesota. And of course, previous owners didn't help by pocketing any profits rather than reinvesting them in the team, which resulted in some truly awful teams in the 80's.

The Wild have obviously proven that you can run a very successful NHL franchise in Minnesota, to no one's surprise. The North Stars should've been a wild success (no pun intended), but when you put out a crap product for years on end, demand that the state build you a new arena even though there's already a brand new arena right across town, and your wife runs you out of town because of your serial sexual harassment, any market will fail in those circumstances. 

Or as Norm Green himself once said: "Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota."

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Foley better have an all-star team of handlers to keep him in his suite and away from any phones, or we're gonna have the second coming of the Scouts here. I don't think he understands much beyond "money buy me team yay sports and troops."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I have no proof of this, but it's just my guess based on various interviews that have come out since the last Stars rebrand.

Apparently either the owner or someone else high up with the team wanted navy and silver, with black highlights. Then Modano and a few other former Stars players came on board and said "you can't lose the green!"

Thank god he did...  Even though the new uniforms are beautiful on their own merits, it's still really weird seeing them without the gold.  I couldn't imagine them ditching the green.  It would be like flushing 45 + years of history down the toilet.

I also recall some executive or owner dismissing a question about losing the gold saying something along the lines of "stars in a night sky don't look gold."

So based on all of that? I'm guessing the current owners (who set this whole thing in motion) really didn't like the gold and wanted to be blue and silver. Cooler heads prevailed and got them to agree to green in place of blue, but they held firm on the "no gold" thing.

I heard that as well but I think the primary factor was reproduction issues.  The Gold the Stars used from their inception to 2013 looked different on every medium it was printed on.  Sadly, this issue could have just as easily been fixed by using athletic gold and it would have resulted in a better uniform that really honored the teams history.  Missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I still don't understand why they called the team the Golden Knights when the primary colour is grey. Silver Knights would have been perfect.

Well the Knight in the logo is Gold and the jerseys still wouldn't be silver

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Bill Foley better have an all-star team of handlers to keep him in his suite and away from any phones, or we're gonna have the second coming of the Scouts here. I don't think he understands much beyond "money buy me team yay sports and troops."

I can't help but see parallels between Foley and another businessman who seems to share his belief that rules don't apply to him and that his money trumps whatever history and guidelines his adopted organization abides by. 

On 2/12/2017 at 9:23 PM, OnWis97 said:

It is really bad.  They nailed the visual identity as well as possible. Even so, I'd be all for a name change...which is not my usual philosophy. That said the North Stars ship has long since sailed.

Grizzlies(but a minor league team has it) Kodiaks, Beasts, Foragers. Anyone else got anything? I used that logo my helmet for fantasy last year. I went Grizzlies. 

Wildcats 2.png

15 hours ago, ColeJ said:

no one's home jersey is white...........

that quote makes zero sense.

well there was a rumor since that there will be no 3rd jerseys next year in Adidas Year 1, that the NHL would go back to wearing white at home for the 100th season

16 hours ago, kroywen said:

The blame for the North Stars failing in Minnesota lies largely at the feet of Norm Green. The sexual harassment lawsuit, the refusal to move to the Target Center largely because of conflicts with their soda sponsorship, the terrible financial difficulties of his non-hockey businesses (which eventually forced him to sell the Dallas Stars), the unwillingness to put any money toward building a new arena... he completely destroyed any chance that franchise had of staying in Minnesota. And of course, previous owners didn't help by pocketing any profits rather than reinvesting them in the team, which resulted in some truly awful teams in the 80's.

The Wild have obviously proven that you can run a very successful NHL franchise in Minnesota, to no one's surprise. The North Stars should've been a wild success (no pun intended), but when you put out a crap product for years on end, demand that the state build you a new arena even though there's already a brand new arena right across town, and your wife runs you out of town because of your serial sexual harassment, any market will fail in those circumstances. 

Or as Norm Green himself once said: "Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota."

Nope its the fans fault. They are the ones that never supported the North Stars. The North Stars only sold out all their home games for one season (1971/72). Even after the team went to the finals in 1990/91 they averaged 2,000 empty seats per game the next two years. People cared more about collegiate and high school hockey then the North Stars.

The Catch of the Day!

well there was a rumor since that there will be no 3rd jerseys next year in Adidas Year 1, that the NHL would go back to wearing white at home for the 100th season

Using it as a means to commemorate 100 years wouldn't make sense since the league only wore white at home from 1970 through 2003.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

13 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Sorry to divert a bit, but on the topic of the Wild, why did they build a new arena when the Target Center was less than 10 years old? Too basketball specific?

My memory's not that great on this, but I think this has a lot to do with municipal pride in the city of St. Paul. The mayor of St. Paul at the time was Norm Coleman, who had big-time political aspirations, and bringing in NHL back to that city made him major points.

Target Center is in downtown Minneapolis, and while a part of the same metro area, there's still a degree of regional pride across municipal borders.  

for a lot of teams, that's the bulk of their existence.  

Define "bulk."

For teams in their current location, 19 of 30 have spent more seasons wearing dark at home.

Sure, you can try and add franchise history for the Stars, Avs, Coyotes and 'Canes, but how many of those fans actually care about the previous "version" of the team? Very few, in general.

Even if I give you those four, that is literally a 50/50 split for franchises having spent more seasons wearing dark/light at home. I say light because several teams used to still wear colors, at home, mainly yellow, during 1970-2003.

Overall, fans prefer dark at home, and the league has had vastly more seasons with teams wearing their dark jerseys at home. Only a few teams have a road jersey that is better looking than their home ones, anyway.

Look at the Habs, their design is relatively the same as what they wore for the 1917-1918 season. They've worn that beautiful bastard at home for 64 seasons. White at home isn't honoring anything, for them.

Is there a case to be made for white at home, for a single season? Sure, but it's a relatively weak one, if you want to base it on numbers. Better to stick to a nostalgia argument.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived