NHL 2017-18

Bmac

7 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I remember watching a video clip of the Canes GM or owner being interviewed to speak about their new uniforms, at the time when they unveiled the Team Canada-esque red and white jerseys. He said that he likes the new look because it's "cleaner". In essence, he didn't like the warning flags, thought they cluttered the jerseys, and that their look needed to be "cleaned" up.

This new uniform that was recently unveiled is likely the compromise for everyone to be happy.

If they were a team like the Panthers this reasoning would make sense but they lifted the Stanley Cup with the warning-flag pattern featured prominently.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Funny story about the Lady Liberty.

The reason why they can't use those anymore is due to some weird rules with the Statue of Liberty itself.  The Rangers in the past had to pay the owners of the Statue (whomever that is) around $250K EVERY time it was used.  That's why we have the Rangers Heritage sweater look.

In other news on the thirds, the rumour I heard was that between 18-26 teams will have thirds next year.  A mix of new looks for some teams and a retro look for some teams.  What those teams will be yet is unknown.  

17 hours ago, CRichardson said:

That's a shame. It's one of the best alts the league has ever had.

15 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Yeah it is a shame that it can't be used anymore.  I'd expect the Rangers to bring back the Heritage sweater

There ya go.  That's what I was looking for.  

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Something sounds off...Liberty Mutual Insurance has the lady as its logo and its commercials; I doubt they're paying a licensing fee.  Though, if true, it'd probably be paid to the Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation.

Does the New York, New York hotel in Vegas pay a fee to have it in front? 

Plenty of Statue of Liberty clip art public domain logos companies can use for logos as well.  

The Rangers' Lady Liberty was recently used in 2015 by the FDNY (with the Rangers' approval, the article says, not the statue "owners") and was designed by this guy, who passed in 2015

The National Park Service says the "image of the Statue of Liberty is in the public domain and is available for use to all"

Always ask for a source or do some personal research before believing statements like these.

Can anyone provide a source that the Rangers actually are not allowed to use the statue in their logo without paying this exorbitant fee? On the surface, this seems preposterous due to the number of cheap souvenirs, companies/organizations (Liberty Mutual, ACLU), and even sports teams (New York Liberty) that use its depiction.

Like WSU, I’m calling myth. Please don’t spread information that’s not confirmed with a source, or at the very least, present it as a rumor so people know not to take it as fact (“I heard that the Rangers…”).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Always ask for a source or do some personal research before believing statements like these.

Can anyone provide a source that the Rangers actually are not allowed to use the statue in their logo without paying this exorbitant fee? On the surface, this seems preposterous due to the number of cheap souvenirs, companies/organizations (Liberty Mutual, ACLU), and even sports teams (New York Liberty) that use its depiction.

Like WSU, I’m calling myth. Please don’t spread information that’s not confirmed with a source, or at the very least, present it as a rumor so people know not to take it as fact (“I heard that the Rangers…”).

Will keep that in mind next time.  I was in a rush to type and I am normally good about that.  Sorry everyone

I'm sure next year's NHL alternate uniforms will be a mixed bag.  But I'm curious as to whether waiting a year is really needed every time there's a new manufacturer.  A bunch of teams have new jerseys this season that fans will buy.  Then next year many will introduce something else fans will want.

The Devils will probably add a throwback to the original black-trimmed jersey.  It will render the new red jersey obsolete by mid-year and a couple of years later they will look like they used to.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm sure next year's NHL alternate uniforms will be a mixed bag.  But I'm curious as to whether waiting a year is really needed every time there's a new manufacturer.  A bunch of teams have new jerseys this season that fans will buy.  Then next year many will introduce something else fans will want.

The Devils will probably add a throwback to the original black-trimmed jersey.  It will render the new red jersey obsolete by mid-year and a couple of years later they will look like they used to.

Apparently, it takes more time to manufacture and produce a new hockey jersey for the masses.  I don't really buy that nonsense since Adidas was announced for the new NHL deal about two years ago.  You would think they had plenty of time to get something together.

It's simple, really: it baits the fans into spending more of their money. If you introduce all three jerseys all at once, the fan who is only going to buy one jersey is only going to buy one of the three. However, if you introduce two, he still buys one. Then, when you introduce the thirds a year later, that fan may want to buy another one because it's a later purchase.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

40 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

It's simple, really: it baits the fans into spending more of their money. If you introduce all three jerseys all at once, the fan who is only going to buy one jersey is only going to buy one of the three. However, if you introduce two, he still buys one. Then, when you introduce the thirds a year later, that fan may want to buy another one because it's a later purchase.

I feel like this logic made sense for the Edge takeover 10 years ago, where over half the league saw serious changes, but it doesn't really make sense now, where by my count only 7 teams have significantly new jerseys (CAR, COL, EDM, MIN, NSH, NJ, LV). I don't see most fans (outside of collectors) looking at these and saying "Wow, it has a new collar! I gotta get one."

1 hour ago, CRichardson said:

Speaking of spending money on jerseys and stuff,  Fanatics, who basically is both the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB shops, have now reduced their so called "Fancash" reward program,  from 5% (spend $100, get $5 for your next purchase) to 3%.   Jesus Christ man,  talk about greed! That is what happens when one company becomes too big and takes over everything.

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Will keep that in mind next time.  I was in a rush to type and I am normally good about that.  Sorry everyone

That sounded harsh. Sorry about that. No offense to you, I just know everyone would enjoy having one less myth to correct every time someone brings it up on here, so I think it’s prudent for us all to do what we can to avoid letting inaccurate information spread like wildfire. It may very well be true, but it doesn’t sound true, so I think more research is order.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm sure next year's NHL alternate uniforms will be a mixed bag. 

Maybe.  I certainly expect them to be worlds better than the alternate class that followed the Edge switch-over.  Ottawa SNES anyone?  Just for fun, here are my predictions:

Anaheim Ducks - Orange alternate returns unchanged in preparation for eventual switch.

Calgary Flames - Retro red returns but never reaches full time status because the ownership is incompetent.
Carolina Hurricanes - Black alternate returns unchanged.

Colorado Avalanche - Rockies inspired logo returns on a new jersey using their lighter blue.  Snow capped yokes return in a more traditional shape.
Columbus Blue Jackets - Canon returns on a new uniform design, hopefully without vintage white and that awful number font.
Edmonton Oilers - Royal Blue, Gretzky era throwback.

Florida Panthers - Updated, leaping-panther becomes the main crest on a navy base with simple, traditional stripes.

Minnesota Wild - Iron Range reds return without the phantom yoke.  Team inexplicably forgoes hem stripes.

New Jersey Devils - Red and Green throwback gets butchered in a way similar to their main set.
Ottawa Senators - Heritage jersey without vintage white in preparation for the eventual switch.

San Jose - 'Black Armour' returns with even less stripes (for performance reasons of course ;) ).

St Louis Blues - Arch roundel returns on a new uniform design.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Cup era throwback with "Bolts" replacing their original logo.

Vancouver Canucks - Johnny Canuck becomes the main crest on a blue jersey with striping similar to the previous alt.

Washington Capitals - 70's era throwback.

The Blackhawks will probably bring back the original black third.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Anaheim Ducks - Orange alternate returns unchanged in preparation for eventual switch.

I think Bob Murray said somewhere that they're going with a new set with an orange home uniform next year. Because waiting until the year after the Adizero rollout makes sense I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'll be pretty happy if they bring back the third as the new home, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: Weirdly, I'm seeing an increase in Mighty Ducks logo apparel despite the third being retired.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Apparently, it takes more time to manufacture and produce a new hockey jersey for the masses.  I don't really buy that nonsense since Adidas was announced for the new NHL deal about two years ago.  You would think they had plenty of time to get something together.

Again, think about it in terms of what a normal year’s workload is v. the workload in a transition year.

A normal year is maybe one new identity with a pair of uniforms, say three new third uniforms, and three to four sets of event uniforms, so typically less than 15 pieces of uniform and identity design.

The transition year is a new home and road uniforms for every team, plus the events, so roughly 70 pieces, mostly uniform design, with a little bit of identity work for teams that want to make alterations and the events. It’s true that many of them don’t change much, but they all need to be redesigned and rebuilt, then revised and approved.

Many teams take the opportunity during year two to redesign their third uniform, so while there may be several teams that reinstate previous jerseys, there are a handful more that will want something new. Let’s say that’s 20 more pieces total, plus the events. Where the home and roads are heavy in uniform design, the thirds generally require a lot more identity development, which takes a lot of time. Still double the output of a normal year and a lot of new work being created at once.

It’s simply not possible to do the work to put out a hundred new jerseys when a normal year sees 15. It’s not a huge team. Lastly, it’s true the deal was announced a long time ago, but the NHL still works on the same timeline, briefing its identity projects the same time each season, every season, so it’s not like there’s “extra time” to make more stuff.

47 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

The Blackhawks will probably bring back the original black third.

Maybe and maybe not.  I'd prefer the Blackhawks, Flyers, Red Wings, and Maple Leafs be the teams that don't introduce a third.

52 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Maybe.  I certainly expect them to be worlds better than the alternate class that followed the Edge switch-over.  Ottawa SNES anyone?  Just for fun, here are my predictions:

Calgary Flames - Retro red returns but never reaches full time status because the ownership is incompetent.
Carolina Hurricanes - Black alternate returns unchanged.

Colorado Avalanche - Rockies inspired logo returns on a new jersey using their lighter blue.  Snow capped yokes return in a more traditional shape.
Columbus Blue Jackets - Canon returns on a new uniform design, hopefully without vintage white and that awful number font.
Edmonton Oilers - Royal Blue, Gretzky era throwback.

Florida Panthers - Updated, leaping-panther becomes the main crest on a navy base with simple, traditional stripes.

Minnesota Wild - Iron Range reds return without the phantom yoke.  Team inexplicably forgoes hem stripes.

New Jersey Devils - Red and Green throwback gets butchered in a way similar to their main set.
Ottawa Senators - Heritage jersey without vintage white in preparation for the eventual switch.

San Jose - 'Black Armour' returns with even less stripes (for performance reasons of course ;) ).

St Louis Blues - Arch roundel returns on a new uniform design.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Cup era throwback with "Bolts" replacing their original logo.

Vancouver Canucks - Johnny Canuck becomes the main crest on a blue jersey with striping similar to the previous alt.

Washington Capitals - 70's era throwback.

Sens and Ducks make the switch next season so they probably won't have thirds.

57 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

That sounded harsh. Sorry about that. No offense to you, I just know everyone would enjoy having one less myth to correct every time someone brings it up on here, so I think it’s prudent for us all to do what we can to avoid letting inaccurate information spread like wildfire. It may very well be true, but it doesn’t sound true, so I think more research is order.

I was not trying to be harsh at all.  Not my intention to be harsh, either.  

I was only apologizing for what I had stated as a fact when it is all a rumour.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Again, think about it in terms of what a normal year’s workload is v. the workload in a transition year.

A normal year is maybe one new identity with a pair of uniforms, say three new third uniforms, and three to four sets of event uniforms, so typically less than 15 pieces of uniform and identity design.

The transition year is a new home and road uniforms for every team, plus the events, so roughly 70 pieces, mostly uniform design, with a little bit of identity work for teams that want to make alterations and the events. It’s true that many of them don’t change much, but they all need to be redesigned and rebuilt, then revised and approved.

Many teams take the opportunity during year two to redesign their third uniform, so while there may be several teams that reinstate previous jerseys, there are a handful more that will want something new. Let’s say that’s 20 more pieces total, plus the events. Where the home and roads are heavy in uniform design, the thirds generally require a lot more identity development, which takes a lot of time. Still double the output of a normal year and a lot of new work being created at once.

It’s simply not possible to do the work to put out a hundred new jerseys when a normal year sees 15. It’s not a huge team. Lastly, it’s true the deal was announced a long time ago, but the NHL still works on the same timeline, briefing its identity projects the same time each season, every season, so it’s not like there’s “extra time” to make more stuff.

This all make sense. But the same circumstances appear to exist with Nike and the NBA, but they're managing to produce at least three new uniforms (and, in some cases, four) for each team,  as well as Christmas Day specials, All-Star unis and warmups. Is the production of NHL uniforms that much more demanding than it is for the NBA? 

4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This all make sense. But the same circumstances appear to exist with Nike and the NBA, but they're managing to produce at least three new uniforms (and, in some cases, four) for each team,  as well as Christmas Day specials, All-Star unis and warmups. Is the production of NHL uniforms that much more demanding than it is for the NBA? 

I would think so.  

Archived