NHL 2017-18

Bmac

7 hours ago, Steve-O said:

Imagine every game with the stands predominantly white jerseys adjacent to the white ice and the only team in color is the visiting team? Not great for TV if you ask me.

You mean like the white-outs in Winnipeg back in the day?  Let's face it...those were awesome because the Jets wore white at home too. 

A few teams have better white jerseys than dark jerseys (Red Wings, Capitals, Avalanche).  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Its about seeing the jerseys in person though. Every single Devils game I go to is Red v White, its gets boring.

I don't understand how one's enjoyment of any sport comes down to what the teams are wearing.  I guess you are out there for the fashion show while I'd go for the game itself.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

You mean like the white-outs in Winnipeg back in the day?  Let's face it...those were awesome because the Jets wore white at home too. 

A few teams have better white jerseys than dark jerseys (Red Wings, Capitals, Avalanche).  

For me, white will always be the best at home. Basketball and Baseball seems to believe that as well.

And the white outs at the Pacific Coliseum in 94, my first memory of NHL hockey, an amazing sight with all the white towels and everyone in white. Damn i wish the Canucks had won !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUFtK2xLnY

Richter vs. Bure 94

Saw this on the Icethetics website. Since the Devils normally share a very similar identity to their AHL clubs I would not be surprised if the Devils new wordmark looks like this. I think it's an improvement over the current one. 

New_Jersey_Devils_logo_wordmark.png

0201-bnd.png

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I like the look of the white-out too but what good is the white-out if every team essentially has a poorly white-out because of their home jerseys...

With white jerseys as the predominant home jerseys, most fans would buy the home jersey, as that's what their team wears when you see them play live. Every TV broadcast would have a poorly done version of a white-out in the crowd. It gives no meaning to your team colors or identity. Every arena would do the same thing to some degree. With colors as the home jerseys, fans can sport their team specific colors. This is why you see "Rock the Red" in Washington, the "C of Red" in Calgary, the "Orange Crush" in Philly. It adds to the identity of the home team in a big way. You will never see white as the dominant home color in the NHL again. There is no reason for it from a brand perspective or a marketing perspective.

12 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Lots of reasons posted, but one of the main reasons had to do with advertisements. Target Center would be in no way owned by the Stars. They'd be a tenant only. As part of the landlord agreement the Target Center was offering, the Stars wouldn't have any control over their advertising in the arena.

Not only that, but any revenue generated by parking and concessions sales would go into the Timberwolves pockets. It wasn't just Norm Green that thought this was ridiculous. The Gund Brothers also felt that way as did Richard Burke and Steven Gluckstern.

Who are the latter two gentlemen? They are the guys who bought the Winnipeg Jets and moved them south. They wanted to go to Minneapolis but couldn't get a decent deal without putting them into bankruptcy. Burke was commenting on how it was unfair that the Timberwolves would control everything in what was essentially a publicly funded arena.

The Catch of the Day!

28 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

As long as there are alternate jerseys the league isn't going away from dark at home. It's so teams don't have to haul two sets of jerseys/socks/helmets on every road trip. 

Or you know, they just wear white at home....  AND color on the road...

IF you want a third jersey that is white, you wear it at home.

IF you want a third jersey that is color, you wear it on the road.

It's pretty simple really.

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Doesn't work in the real world. Two problems: 

1. Nobody wants a white third jersey. Most third jerseys aren't white because color jerseys sell better. (In 2002-2003 the last season of white at home there were 16 teams with alternate jerseys. 15 were color, Toronto's white was a throwback) 2. Teams aren't trying to sell alternates to the road fans so wearing it on the road makes no sense. They wear it at home to show it off to their key demographic, which leads us to teams wearing color jerseys at home. 

Instead of restructuring how jerseys are sold to fans at the sake of convenience for the equipment managers they just said "everybody wear your dark shirts at home." Problem solved. Teams don't have to carry two sets of equipment, franchises get to sell whatever they want to their home fans. Everybody wins, well except for people who have a stick up their butt because white jerseys were the home jerseys when they were 11. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, M4One said:

I don't understand how one's enjoyment of any sport comes down to what the teams are wearing.  I guess you are out there for the fashion show while I'd go for the game itself.

I agree, but only to a point. I love uniform aesthetics, but it's simply one aspect of the game. I understand if it takes a little enjoyment out of things, but if home color vs. white every game is enough to make it boring, you've lost the ability to see the forest for the trees.

1 hour ago, Steve-O said:

I like the look of the white-out too but what good is the white-out if every team essentially has a poorly white-out because of their home jerseys...

With white jerseys as the predominant home jerseys, most fans would buy the home jersey, as that's what their team wears when you see them play live. Every TV broadcast would have a poorly done version of a white-out in the crowd. It gives no meaning to your team colors or identity. Every arena would do the same thing to some degree. With colors as the home jerseys, fans can sport their team specific colors. This is why you see "Rock the Red" in Washington, the "C of Red" in Calgary, the "Orange Crush" in Philly. It adds to the identity of the home team in a big way. You will never see white as the dominant home color in the NHL again. There is no reason for it from a brand perspective or a marketing perspective.

Actually, even during the white at home era, dark jerseys still outsold whites, for many teams (I want to say most, but don't have the numbers in front of me). Ease of care and a stronger visual identification as a member of your team's fanbase were two reasons. 

51 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Like @McCarthy said, your alternate jerseys are primarily aimed at your fanbase, why would you want a system where they are primarily worn on the road? Alternates serve two purposes. A) a promotion that primarily sells more jerseys, and may help put a few extra butts in seat. B.) A "pilot program" for a new design. Several alts have been promoted to full-time use. Not every one was planned, but it gives you a chance to try out a new design, especially if it's a big departure from the established brand. If the fans love it, great. If not, then maybe you just avoided the next Buffaslug.

Both of those aspects are more effectively utilized in front of the home crowd.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Just because third jerseys have primarily been dark in the past, doesn't mean they have to be...  

SO if a fan sees all the jerseys their team wears because of HDTV, how does a dark third sweater on the road detract from sales?  You can't have it both ways.  

You can't have both:

"We don't need different away jersey colors because I see my team in HDTV and get to see all the other teams colors anyways" and then say "thirds on the road doesn't allow me to see my teams colors."

28 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Just because third jerseys have primarily been dark in the past, doesn't mean they have to be...  

SO if a fan sees all the jerseys their team wears because of HDTV, how does a dark third sweater on the road detract from sales?  You can't have it both ways.  

You can't have both:

"We don't need different away jersey colors because I see my team in HDTV and get to see all the other teams colors anyways" and then say "thirds on the road doesn't allow me to see my teams colors."

But people buy white sweaters far less often than they buy colored ones. It's in a team's best interest to have colored third jerseys. Which means multiple sets of jerseys to take on the road, etc. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

11 hours ago, Thomas said:

xg2lx.jpg

Or maybe my level of obsession over jerseys/logos hasn't reached that point where I missed the actual point of watching a game, live in person or on TV.  Even on this forum, that's a little over the top, no?

4 minutes ago, M4One said:

Or maybe my level of obsession over jerseys/logos hasn't reached that point where I missed the actual point of watching a game, live in person or on TV.  Even on this forum, that's a little over the top, no?

It'll reach there soon the longer you stay on the boards. We're not over the top, we just get excited about new uniforms. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

7 hours ago, Chico said:

Saw this on the Icethetics website. Since the Devils normally share a very similar identity to their AHL clubs I would not be surprised if the Devils new wordmark looks like this. I think it's an improvement over the current one. 

New_Jersey_Devils_logo_wordmark.png

0201-bnd.png

Waaaait a second. Am I crazy or is the Binghampton one in Arizona State's font?

IMG_5751.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I get excited about uniforms and logos as much as the next guy, especially when it comes to hockey.  But, if I were to watch every single Canucks game, live or on TV, I would never get bored because of what the teams are wearing.  I'm not going to get overly excited if there's a sudden switch and for whatever reason the Canucks might end up wearing white at home for one game.  I'll get bored because the game is boring or the Canucks are losing. 

Archived