NHL 2017-18

Bmac

The C logo is just so bland and reminiscent of the NHL Rockies, who failed in Colorado. Anyone can say "Oh, let's use the Colorado C as a shoulder patch since it connects to the state" or whatever. It's a sold-out idea with no creativity. Now, some logos can be "too creative," but the Sasquatch foot isn't overly gawky or loud. It works as an alternate logo and a shoulder patch and goes with the branding the team has. With the current primary, a minimalist C logo doesn't fit. They'd have to promote the even more of a Rockies rip-off logo to primary status. 

Also, they need to bring Howler back. 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Aesthetically? The entire Avs’ original identity package contained all the worst hallmarks of excessive 90s “xtreme” design, but the foot was the worst part of it. 

The A logo and the mountain stripes seem less loud and obnoxiously dated without the XTREME YETI FOOT taking up real estate.

The alternate class of 1996 contained the worst hallmarks of excessive 90's design.  The Avalanche innovations were restrained and tasteful which is why the original set, more or less, lives on in 2017.

The C logo’s simple. It works on a shoulder. And it compliments the primary. The team’s name is the Colorado Avalanche. The primary is an A simulating an avalanche running down a mountain. The secondary is the C from the Colorado state flag. The two logos in tandem tell you all you need to know about the team. 

Here's where we agree.  It works great as a shoulder patch and compliments the brand perfectly.  While I miss the footprint, I'm glad it was replaced with something as attractive as the 'C.'  And thank god they didn't pull a "Flames" and lazily use the Colorado flag.

Watching the Blues for the first time this season...the white numbers aren't bad but they definitely remove some of the character from the Blues' jerseys. 

The Lightning are wearing white at home tonight. Wore the original jersey with the one year, non-italicized, font for warm ups as they had members of the first team here to celebrate 25th anniversary. 

I think it’s kind of lame of the lightning to wear throwbacks just in pregame. Why can’t they wear them for the game?  On the other hand, I do like when the NHL does their military or cancer pandering pregame only. 

KISSwall09.jpg

34 minutes ago, hormone said:

I think it’s kind of lame of the lightning to wear throwbacks just in pregame. Why can’t they wear them for the game?  On the other hand, I do like when the NHL does their military or cancer pandering pregame only. 

My only guess would be that they don't want to spend the money on the correct socks and pants to complete the whole look.  Only wearing the jersey with the current gear would look dumb, which was what teams did early on.  Also, with there being no thirds, maybe the league isn't allowing them to wear them in game.

The warmup jerseys looked like retail replicas, too.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The Lightning throwbacks aren't great, but wearing them only for warmups is a waste.

the men and women counting the money at the end of the night disagree. They probably flew off the racks. And don't teams get a little extra money when they sell in team-store rather than elsewhere?

On 10/13/2017 at 4:46 PM, DAKINS24 said:

Due to the fact that they are one of, if not the signature franchise of the CHL, the London Knights carry a lot of clout in hockey.  

They are protecting their copyright. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/las-vegas-nhl-name-search-complicated-london-knights/

When people in hockey say "Knights", they assume you are talking about London.  They want to keep it that way.

There were literally two "Admirals" in the AHL for years. There are dozens of college teams named Bulldogs or Tigers or Eagles. There were two teams in the same city being the Cardinals. There were two teams named the Oilers. This is baloney.

1zgyd8w.jpg

6 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

They were. CCM brand, no fight straps.

Speaking of which, a guy from SportsK told me that, with adidas selling off CCM and making it an equipment-only brand, the Canadian-made CCM 550 Vintage jerseys will no longer be produced. All the throwbacks will be from the Indonesian-made Heroes of Hockey and Team Classics lines.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

24 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Speaking of which, a guy from SportsK told me that, with adidas selling off CCM and making it an equipment-only brand, the Canadian-made CCM 550 Vintage jerseys will no longer be produced. All the throwbacks will be from the Indonesian-made Heroes of Hockey and Team Classics lines.

Does that mean the elimination of vintage jerseys, or that they will be made by some other adidas in-house shop?

The CCM Vintage jerseys were awesome (even if the price point was a little high).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I can tell you from living in Denver, I have seen A LOT more C logo merchandise than I ever did with the foot logo.  

Thank you.

I think the most important thing to understand is that while many of us here focus on the creative side, the team may see it slightly differently, and people have to create within those goals and parameters set by the team. Now, of course, we can all let loose using our own relative expertise what went right and what went wrong, what could have been better, etc., but there’s almost always a reason.

Get past the visceral reaction and think about why they chose to do what they did. I don’t remember all the circumstances, but they obviously care enough to have a unique shoulder mark, so unlike some teams, they feel it’s important to have a second mark that appeals to people. They had the foot for years and visually, it works with the brand, but would the team have even briefed a new shoulder patch if foot merchandise was flying off the shelves? Do they want something they don’t have, for example, a mark that symbolizes their home state more clearly instead of their team name or mascot? Something that has more universal recognition and appeal, that can reasonably be worn even if you’re not a huge Avs fan? 

I do remember the design process was months long. No one just came in and said, “Let’s put the Colorado C on there and call it a day.” There *was* (and always is) a full creative process no matter how simple the outcome looks. It just so happens that after looking at dozens of options and variations, that’s where they ended up.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

13 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The warmup jerseys looked like retail replicas, too.

They were. Tampa Bay never wore a jersey with that style of CCM logo.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

9 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

There were literally two "Admirals" in the AHL for years. There are dozens of college teams named Bulldogs or Tigers or Eagles. There were two teams in the same city being the Cardinals. There were two teams named the Oilers. This is baloney.

Let's not forget the New York Giants and the New York "Football" Giants

Or this gem.

Image result for saskatchewan roughriders ottawa rough riders

Its a 9 team league and there's two teams who insist on being called "Roughriders/Rough Riders" of all things.

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Does that mean the elimination of vintage jerseys, or that they will be made by some other adidas in-house shop?

The CCM Vintage jerseys were awesome (even if the price point was a little high).

It means that throwbacks from now on will only be the Indonesian-made "Team Classics" style, if what he says is correct. That means thinner material, super-baggy arms, and screened twill shoulder patches in some instances.

16 hours ago, coltravesty said:

the men and women counting the money at the end of the night disagree. They probably flew off the racks. And don't teams get a little extra money when they sell in team-store rather than elsewhere?

Of course people are buying them. But if they were going to have a Throwback Night at all, they should've gone all out and worn the bloody things in the game proper.

Again, I don't care for the design  - the uniform itself is OK but the logo hasn't aged well at all - but I feel bad for anyone who was waiting to see these return and all they got was a lousy warmup.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

6 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Let's not forget the New York Giants and the New York "Football" Giants

Or this gem.

Image result for saskatchewan roughriders ottawa rough riders

Its a 9 team league and there's two teams who insist on being called "Roughriders/Rough Riders" of all things.

You are missing one key thing about this that makes it make sense. 

History

Ottawa came from the Inter-Provencal Rugby Football Union (1907) and Saskatchewan came from the Western Inter-Provincial Football Union (1936) and merged in 1958 so they came from two different leagues there for it's not a fail. 

zyyMk1d.png

On 10/15/2017 at 2:12 AM, ElwoodCuse said:

Hardly.

They are exercising their rights to keep the name out of the NHL.  They aren't some college team, the CHL is pretty big in pro hockey.

banners

Archived