NHL 2017-18

Bmac

On 10/22/2017 at 6:33 PM, Chromatic said:

That's always been Calgary. ;)

For real though, the fact that they've even kept the flags as shoulder patches for so long exemplifies how little they care. I suspect they don't even know its broken, so why fix it?

What does the fans have to say about this, why don't they demand a change?

89 was a great look, so was 04 .  

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work at the Sabres Store at KeyBank Center and have gotten familiar with them.

First of all, as joekono mentioned, the Fanatics logo is sublimated onto a piece of fabric and either pressed on, or possibly stitched around the edges. Similar to the shoulder patches on the Reebok Edge replicas. The material is also thinner than the Reebok replicas, it seems. But with the Authentics only being approximately $60 more, I'd just save that extra money and go authentic if you're concerned about quality.

bufg.png

On 10/20/2017 at 3:51 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Agreed. My biggest pet peeves with the original blue jerseys:

1. The inverted Stick In Rink doesn't stand out like other inverted logos.

2. The two thick green striping needed white outlining to prevent the green from bleeding into the blue. 

The other improvements I would make to the blue jerseys and to the overall set:

1. Keep the white inner border emphasizing the 'C'.

2. Skating Johnny Canuck on the shoulders. That's an absolute must.

3. The original pants striping should have green bordered by white to, again, prevent the green from bleeding into the blue.

4. Green bordering on the block font.

I feel like your last suggestion contradicts your previous points. One thing Vancouver has gotten right with their most recent branding is the consistency of the colour scheme. Aside from their last poor attempt at a third jersey, green and blue are always separated by white, which prevents the bleeding issue you brought up.

I think the only way a green outline on the numbers would work would be if they did a double outline in the vein of the Lightning. With that being said, I actually prefer the single-layer numbers. They're unique in the fact that they are the only multi-colour team with single colour numbers. They just need to find a way to add some green to the collars.

5 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think the only way a green outline on the numbers would work would be if they did a double outline in the vein of the Lightning. With that being said, I actually prefer the single-layer numbers. They're unique in the fact that they are the only multi-colour team with single colour numbers. They just need to find a way to add some green to the collars.

862562626_slide.jpg

(Who also should add an outline to the numbers)

IbjBaeE.png

I find it slick that, with the exception of only the logos, the green doesn't touch the black anywhere on the jerseys. Looks pure class.

Edit: Oh, right. That tiny little spot at the bottom of the collar. Fine, that too.

I hadn't noticed this until now. But there aren't that many primarily black or navy blue teams left.

There are:

- 3 teams in navy blue jerseys: (Buffalo, Columbus, Winnipeg)

and if the Ducks go orange as rumored...

- 3 teams in black jerseys (Boston, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, 2 of which who use black and yellow)

As much as the League sometimes gets harshly criticized for bad templates and bad aesthetic decisions, I gotta give them credit points for adding more versatility. We got a yellow team, a silver team, a light green team, and a dark green team. Keep it that way!

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It is refreshing to see the league move out of its "everything is either black, navy, or red" phase.

I think the issue now is that there are so many red teams, but realistically, not very many opportunities to diversify their looks. I guess Florida doesn’t *have* to be a red team, but they always have been. I think Washington could reasonably become a navy blue team, but their signature look is rooted in red, too. Ottawa, I would love a black-centric look for them. Carolina needs red and black because of the design of the hurricane flag, in my opinion, but I would also agree that they could be “less red” if they wanted to be. The other five red teams are as locked into it as you can get. I’m not counting Arizona or Colorado as red teams.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

and if the Ducks go orange as rumored...

- 3 teams in black jerseys (Boston, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, 2 of which who use black and yellow)

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It is refreshing to see the league move out of its "everything is either black, navy, or red" phase.

I for one can't wait for the Ducks to finally leave behind their generic teenage emo phase.

I won't get my hopes up for the third to return as the new primary, but at the very least I'm hoping for something that looks good.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think the issue now is that there are so many red teams, but realistically, not very many opportunities to diversify their looks. I guess Florida doesn’t *have* to be a red team, but they always have been. I think Washington could reasonably become a navy blue team, but their signature look is rooted in red, too. Ottawa, I would love a black-centric look for them. Carolina needs red and black because of the design of the hurricane flag, in my opinion, but I would also agree that they could be “less red” if they wanted to be. The other five red teams are as locked into it as you can get. I’m not counting Arizona or Colorado as red teams.

Ottawa's choice to be a black helmet-red jersey-black pants-red socks team has never made sense to me. Them, Chicago, New Jersey, and Calgary all wear that same basic structure. One of them could go all black with red accents and stand out, and Ottawa would be the best candidate for obvious reasons, but they choose not to.  They'd look especially sharp if they threw some gold accents in with it. 

I think Carolina should be the red and gray team with black as a tertiary color. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

So, counting it:

2.5 Orange (Flyers, Oilers, pending Ducks)

10 Red (Canadiens, Senators, Panthers, Capitals, Red Wings, Devils, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Coyotes, Flames)

2 Green (Wild, Stars)

6 Blue (Maple Leafs, Rangers, Islanders, Lightning, Blues, Canucks)

3 Navy (Sabres, Blue Jackets, Jets)

3.5 Black (Bruins, Penguins, Kings, current Ducks)

1 Yellow (Predators)

1 Teal (Sharks)

1 Burgundy (Avalanche)

1 Dark Grey (Knights)

Thats a pretty good range of colors. All we need is the Kings to go purple again and we have every color of the rainbow, plus some. While we could obviously cut down on the red, almost all of those teams (looking at you, Flames) look good, so I'm fine with it.

ExJworW.png

The only way I’d take the kings in purple again is if they went with a version of the bow tie logo that they had success in rather than big crowns, dumb fonts, silly necklines, and too much black vs silver. 

The kings never ever looked better than the tail end of the Gretzky era.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived