NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Morgo said:

How is it preposterous? 

Teams change logos all the time. It's a matter of branding. Not a lack of confidence in the team's abilities.

The current team has used a centurion for 25+ plus years, which is longer than the original team was even around for...

Well that's just incorrect. The original Senators were around for 52 years. 51 of those years in Ottawa.

...and they're throwing their history away to use a double stroked, Times-New-Roman "O" for no other reason than to siphon the success of a team that hasn't been around in over 80 years.  Seems like admission of failure to me.

How? I'm really not seeing it at all. If you want to prefer the Centurion to the =O=? Cool. The team choosing to downplay one over the other doesn't seem like an admission of anything, however.

It's either a matter of personal aesthetic preference on the part of management or said management has data that suggests that the =O= is more popular among the fanbase than the Centurion. Either way it's branding. Nothing more or less.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well that's just incorrect. The original Senators were around for 52 years. 51 of those years in Ottawa.

Well, they were an NHL team from 1917 to 1934 and didn't use the "O" until 1929.  Essentially the "O" was used as a crest for a whopping 4 seasons.

It's either a matter of personal aesthetic preference on the part of management or said management has data that suggests that the =O= is more popular among the fanbase than the Centurion. Either way it's branding. Nothing more or less.

Maybe it is preferred by the fan-base but how anyone can say this jersey...

uy5UY9m.png

...is aesthetically better than the one below is beyond my comprehension. 

6 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

1a_143_orig.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

If you swap out the vintage white for regular white? I'll take the Heritage look.

I agree in terms of jersey design.  All the stripes should be the same thickness, though.  Having the red/cream chest stripes and black negative space stripe below them be one thickness and then the red/cream along the hem be a different thickness throws the design off. 

Still, it's better than the 1995-99 design.  The sleeve stripes aren't thick enough to hold the sleeve numbers.  The hem stripe doesn't make a lot of sense in that it doesn't mirror the sleeve pattern and that white only touches black on the hem. 

The O logo, though, is inferior.  It's lightly modified Times New Roman.  The red outline disappears on the red stripe.  Both outlines are too thin.

My super unpopular take is Ottawa should be simultaneously progressive and traditional, dropping the Senators moniker and going by Ottawa H.C., while going full blown super retro for their look. Goalies in full retro brown colored pads, simplistic O logo, faux leather player gloves (think the recent Sher-Wood LEs), stuff like that. 

Scrapping the Senators portion of the identity wouldn't hold them back from going full O, nothing there references anything but the city name. 

I know this would never happen. I suppose it's born of my desire to see a team do something outside the box but not flashy, my disdain for any look the team has ever worn, and my recognition that my low opinion of the O and related looks is opposite of the hometown fans. I mean come on that is not a professional look in this day and age! 

Ok im done. 

*This is my standard hockey rant #1, followed by why does Edmonton's goal horn suck so bad? 

15 minutes ago, twi said:

My super unpopular take is Ottawa should be simultaneously progressive and traditional, dropping the Senators moniker and going by Ottawa H.C., while going full blown super retro for their look. Goalies in full retro brown colored pads, simplistic O logo, faux leather player gloves (think the recent Sher-Wood LEs), stuff like that.

Why stop there?  Maybe they could all forgo helmets, use heavy wool sweaters with turtle-neck collars and have the players hand-stitch the O's on their uniforms themselves.  :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

The current team has used a centurion for 25+ plus years, which is longer than the original team was even around for, and they're throwing their history away to use a double stroked, Times-New-Roman "O" for no other reason than to siphon the success of a team that hasn't been around in over 80 years.

So what about their use of the same name and colours as the old team? :upside:

But seriously, I'm in two minds about the O. Objectively speaking: no, a Times New Roman letter isn't really the most captivating or creative logo, and a brand new team coming up with this today would probably be laughed at. However there is historical precedence to its usage, and honestly I kinda dig the look for evoking that Ye Olde Tyme Iced Hockey feel, which is especially appropriate for a city with that hockey history attached to it, a team specifically named for that historical significance, and the upcoming outdoor game celebrating that history. Conceptually the logo is on par with the Canadiens, even if the execution is lacking by comparison.

That said, I'm not opposed to them keeping the Centurion branding around. If it were me calling the shots, they'd be using that unused modern version of the 2D Sen head as their primary mark on that heritage uniform. But at this point if the fans are going nuts over a Times New Roman letter, we may as well let 'em have it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

Conceptually the logo is on par with the Canadiens, even if the execution is lacking by comparison.

It's just like the Canadiens' logo, if you ignore the complete lack of brand equity and the inferior design work.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

The original logo was about a 9/10 and this one's a 10/10. You might not immediately guess "that team must be the Senators" from looking at it (trying to step outside myself for a sec, I would probably guess their name is the Spartans), but you wouldn't do that for any number of teams whose logos we still like. I suppose the difference there is that with the Bruins or Flyers, it's more abstract, and with the Blackhawks, one would have to explain that it is a drawing of a historical figure named Black Hawk rather than a hawk that is black. Here, you can reasonably argue "factually speaking, that is clearly not a Roman senator," which I think has always been IceCap's fair-enough beef with it. It's of a kind with the Canucks, where an orca whale is decidedly not a Canuck. But I think a lot of that is overridden by how good the logo looks. If only the Sens would actually use it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Morgo said:

Why stop there?  Maybe they could all forgo helmets, use heavy wool sweaters with turtle-neck collars and have the players hand-stitch the O's on their uniforms themselves.  :rolleyes:

I would stop there because what you suggested are more than aesthetic changes. 

3 hours ago, twi said:

I would stop there because what you suggested are more than aesthetic changes. 

My point was that this trend of sacrificing interesting aesthetics for no other reason than to hop on the "Old Tyme Hockey" bandwagon needs to die.  The Senators push towards the =O= is a perfect example.  It's a travesty for them to push towards that bland logo when they have the logo Admiral posted in their arsenal. 

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

Looks like an "O" to me.  Put it on two chest stripes and you have a top 5 look that honors the collective history of Ottawa hockey.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the 3D centurion better than the 2D. That being said, the updated 2D centurion is far superior to the O.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's of a kind with the Canucks, where an orca whale is decidedly not a Canuck. But I think a lot of that is overridden by how good the logo looks.

And that's actually how I feel about the orca logo. If the Canucks got rid of the wordmark above the logo, their jerseys would be immensely better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

56 minutes ago, Morgo said:

My point was that this trend of sacrificing interesting aesthetics for no other reason than to hop on the "Old Tyme Hockey" bandwagon needs to die.  The Senators push towards the =O= is a perfect example.  It's a travesty for them to push towards that bland logo when they have the logo Admiral posted in their arsenal. 

Looks like an "O" to me.  Put it on two chest stripes and you have a top 5 look that honors the collective history of Ottawa hockey.

Ah gotcha. I tend to agree on the whole 'just throw it back to when we were relevant' idea recently seen by Edmonton and the Islanders as being lackluster. I guess with the Sens the point I'm at is that since it looks unstoppable that the O is coming down the line, do it big. 

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

We're all ignoring what the Sens should really have done:

31a8ce77119e1a43.jpg 9281.jpg

Put the current block font on these guys, resurrect the updated 2D centurion, and there you go!

I'm in total agreement. There are three teams who should be embracing non-traditional striping: the Sens (in this) Arizona (bring back the original striping design) and Carolina (forget muting it, embrace the flag striping, and throw it on both sets). 

Throw the updated 2D logo on the front, and the O on the shoulder and you have a great look.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 11/12/2017 at 1:29 PM, TorinK92 said:

Screenshot of a video the Sens posted on Twitter

DOc3CkMVAAADHYd?format=jpg&name=medium

Looks like the heritage sans hem stripes. Based on the other teasers probably a red version with the silver O.

Seems like a missed opportunity to have a really clean set (red/black/white) with the same striping. 

To do the jersey this way removes the "barber-pole" effect. Whatevs.

I know it's a pencil drawing on a fast video snippet, but it actually looks like the stripes are separated with a thinner stripe down the middle. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it looks. 

Im always curious if there's a right answer to the "barber pole" design on a red jersey. With the stripes be white then black, or black then white?  Is there a way it should be? 

16 minutes ago, B-mer said:

I know it's a pencil drawing on a fast video snippet, but it actually looks like the stripes are separated with a thinner stripe down the middle. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it looks. 

Im always curious if there's a right answer to the "barber pole" design on a red jersey. With the stripes be white then black, or black then white?  Is there a way it should be? 

I'm guessing there's some silver striping in there. We'll see tomorrow.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

On 2017-11-11 at 7:59 AM, ldconcepts said:

DOUVmkDUIAAYTzL?format=jpg

Based on this teaser which I'm assuming for now is part of the sleeve striping I'd say it doesn't look like there's a stripe in the middle. Unless the middle stripe is white and the lower stripe is black or gold but it doesn't look like it based on the pencil drawing.

Archived