NHL 2017-18

Bmac

13 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

We know this because I'd rather have two different colored shirts or two white shirts? Exactly. And what Hockey Week said.

You are basing your data/opinion on the FACT that there haven't been many white alternates....  Maybe the white alternate is not just an afterthought and has a better design than the original white sweater.

You are saying that the white alternate would look exactly like the normal white.  But it wouldn't....

Also, a team could use a light color besides white and still allow for dark away jerseys.  Maybe the new third would be gold/grey/tan/whatever and that would still solve your boring white jersey claims.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just look at how Toronto and Washington did their third jerseys.  Both very different from their normal white sweaters.  Both offered fans a chance to buy more merchandise than just a normal white sweater.  Teams could be more creative with a plain white sweater if it were the third jersey.  

Capitals28.png  MapleLeafs48.png

But that white jersey was a Winter Classic jersey that got promoted. Even more telling should be their most recent third jersey, which was to take the colored version of that third and begin wearing that...at home...where their fans get to see it.

Capitals30.png

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Speaking of white alternatives, the White Liberty Jersey was so much better than the blue one and it makes me wonder why this only lasted one season. Does anyone know why it lasted 1 season? I would like to see the Rangers bring back the Liberty jersey as an alternative when Adidas brings back alternatives. 

gretzkyinwhitelib.jpg

XM4KeeA.png

Don't have anything official and it's not a huge surprise, but expect Minnesota to wear green for the playoffs and have "a green home jersey" next season. When asked further, individual I quoted didn't know if the name jersey is the same green one as this year's alt or something different. 

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

But that white jersey was a Winter Classic jersey that got promoted. Even more telling should be their most recent third jersey, which was to take the colored version of that third and begin wearing that...at home...where their fans get to see it.

Capitals30.png

I get what you are saying, and I think we are arguing two different things.

I am just saying that white alternates COULD work, if the NHL went to white at home.  A third jersey does not HAVE to be dark to be a good sweater.

Of course it doesn't have to be dark to be a good sweater, but we already tested that theory when we had white jerseys at home and a heavy majority of teams still chose to use dark colors for their third jerseys. Now that dark sweaters are the home jerseys teams still choose to wear dark colors for their third jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Speaking of white alternatives, the White Liberty Jersey was so much better than the blue one and it makes me wonder why this only lasted one season. Does anyone know why it lasted 1 season? I would like to see the Rangers bring back the Liberty jersey as an alternative when Adidas brings back alternatives. 

gretzkyinwhitelib.jpg

Great jersey for sure, but i think the blue one was just as good.....although it was known for bringing bad luck

640?cb=20110612222625

Or rather, first it was good luck, right?  And then in the end it was bad luck again, yeah, that was it. 

;)

13 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It worked for the Ducks in the late 90s!  

I'll go to my grave with the opinion that the Nike alternates were light years better than their main look.

VmWIn6B.png

29 minutes ago, LMU said:

I'll go to my grave with the opinion that the Nike alternates were light years better than their main look.

I liked them too.  Number font worked great with the vertical stripes.  I think @McCarthy noted a while ago that the jerseys had too many colors, but they sure looked pretty cool.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

You are basing your data/opinion on the FACT that there haven't been many white alternates....  Maybe the white alternate is not just an afterthought and has a better design than the original white sweater.

You are saying that the white alternate would look exactly like the normal white.  But it wouldn't....

Also, a team could use a light color besides white and still allow for dark away jerseys.  Maybe the new third would be gold/grey/tan/whatever and that would still solve your boring white jersey claims.

Ok now are you talking about shirts or jerseys? Because I'm pretty sure a white t-shirt with a logo on it won't look much different from another white t-shirt with a logo on it. However, with jerseys it's a different issue and you may still have a point. Even then I guarantee you that dark alternates would still outsell white alternates and denying that fact is just ridiculous.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The last thing the NHL needs is every team having four jerseys.

Yeah, I have no desire to see teams basically carve out two separate identities, which is what would often happen if teams were allowed four jerseys. You'd see black-and-silver Kings and purple-and-gold Kings, black-and-orange Ducks and eggplant-and-teal (Mighty) Ducks, blue-and-white Lightning and black-blue-silver Lightning, etc. There'd be plenty of teams that would basically have two separate identities (more often than not, one "current" and one "throwback"). No thanks.

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I get what you are saying, and I think we are arguing two different things.

I am just saying that white alternates COULD work, if the NHL went to white at home.  A third jersey does not HAVE to be dark to be a good sweater.

No one is arguing that white alternates are some kind of abomination that need to die inferno-esque deaths. Teams can elect to have white alternates now. Why then, are they so rare, since most have been outdoor away jerseys?

Answer: Dark alternates sell better.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, twi said:

Don't have anything official and it's not a huge surprise, but expect Minnesota to wear green for the playoffs and have "a green home jersey" next season. When asked further, individual I quoted didn't know if the name jersey is the same green one as this year's alt or something different. 

I read somewhere that they might use their Stadium Series jersey as the basis of a new green home jersey.  True or not, I don't know.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:34 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Waaaait a second. Am I crazy or is the Binghampton one in Arizona State's font?IMG_5751.JPG

bn-ASU-type.gif

Yeaaaaah...they're probably going to get a phone call about this.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

23 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Here's my tweet at Michael Russo about the Wild sweaters, (This doesn't mean much, but Russo was the first to tweet out that the NHL will be going with only two sweaters next year) 

https://twitter.com/chcarlson23/status/831954340529262592

And this is something I saw while in the Hockey Lodge today... All products with the Roundel logo are 25% off, not just red things for Valentine's Day...

At least to me, it's all but officially confirmed that Minnesota is going with the green jersey next year... 

IMG_8893.JPG

The green will be w/ the Wild logo like on the away jersey? Not the college looking script. Don't waste the best logo in the NHL by using the script.

Archived