NHL 2017-18

Bmac

On 12/5/2017 at 6:54 PM, Gothamite said:

If I was a Sabres fan, I’d be hoping that the Winter Classic logo is them testing the waters for an update.  

Heck, as the father of a newly-minted Rangers fan (and therefore someone who will be watching a lot of Rangers games), I’m hoping the N.Y. shield becomes a new alternate, like the Islanders’ Winter Classic logo before it. @andrewharrington is that your work?

It is. I made several, from authentic reproductions of 20s, 30s, 40s, 80s shields, etc. all the way to the one they went with, which was probably the purest and simplest form. What many people don't realize, though, is that even though a project might yield a dozen or more useful marks through the process, that doesn't mean the team sees all of them and picks their favorite. They may only see one or two, a few at the most.

22 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

@Morgo i think i jumped i to the middle of something; i probably didnt get a chance to take in all the info here. i didnt mean to compare one logo to the other, just stricktly speaking to the one i quoted about (which i think andrew was also adressing?) it has some real craftsmanship issues. i think Andy is right, it actually looks more like a cotton ball than a buffalo. 

but all that said it makes me wonder how much it matters. that specific logo is not well crafted, but the bigger question to me is does it make a real difference? i mean if that were the official logo would people care that the lighting and fur rendering wasnt good or wouldnt be reproduced well at small sizes? what i struggle with is, how much should i care if people will love a poorly rendered logo if its good enough that most people would wear it with pride? maybe a better question for @andrewharrington ? maybe ill have a better answer after the mojitos wear off :/

As a designer, it definitely makes a difference. We're just wired that way.

With fans, it's generally not the case. Often, it's the opposite. I'd bet most fans, presented with their team's classic logo next to a refined version of it, would choose the classic one much more often than not simply because it's familiar, even if it's objectively worse. I would say it depends on how different it is as well. Most designers/art directors/creative directors tend to want to move the needle a bit more and really do something new when presented with the opportunity.

Here's the secret: Refine it enough that designers notice, but fans don't. You'll please everyone except Morgo. ^_^

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Patchey13 said:

Those jerseys would be incredible if there was no Silver.

Those jerseys would be incredible if they used the recently unveiled WC logo as the crest (minus the NY).

Undecided on whether to keep the navy or revert back to royal blue.

25 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I'd bet most fans, presented with their team's classic logo next to a refined version of it, would choose the classic one much more often than not simply because it's familiar, even if it's objectively worse. I would say it depends on how different it is as well. Most designers/art directors/creative directors tend to want to move the needle a bit more and really do something new when presented with the opportunity.

If you really want to please everyone, though, here's the secret: Refine it enough that designers notice, but fans don't. ^_^

This is a really interesting conversation. I think the most successful updates are ones that manage to keep the spirit of the original even while updating it.

These are some of my favorite updates:

290.gif

kwth8f1cfa2sch5xhjjfaof90.png

3663_baltimore_orioles-cap-1979.png

7k3eexqw8fojeg9km66n3mdgn.png

1834_kansas_city_royals-alternate-1993.p

yopnkgblwibmfwv4rx1h.png

logos like this retain the same basic character of the original, but fix flaws.  You look at them and think that’s the way the original should have been, from the orientation of the Cardinals’ bird to making the KC front and center.  It just makes sense. 

I thonk the Sabres’ Winter Classic logo is right up there with these. Retains the essential identity, but fixes flaws and makes the whole thing work better. 

Not that every logo should be updated in this way - I would freak if the Brewers finally brought back the BiG logo only to tweak it - but many can be and should. 

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And @andrewharrington, do you know if the Rangers have any inclination at all to use the N.Y. shield beyond this one game?  I’d love to see it on a cap the way the Islanders’ NY-stick logo is now. 

Not sure. I would expect it to be available on caps and all sorts of apparel for Winter Classic, though. The main reason it exists is because it's cumbersome to put a stair-stepped RANGERS on most merchandise. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

59 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This is a really interesting conversation. I think the most successful updates are ones that manage to keep the spirit of the original even while updating it.

These are some of my favorite updates:

290.gif

kwth8f1cfa2sch5xhjjfaof90.png

3663_baltimore_orioles-cap-1979.png

1834_kansas_city_royals-alternate-1993.p

yopnkgblwibmfwv4rx1h.png

logos like this retain the same basic character of the original, but fix flaws.  You look at them and think that’s the way the original should have been, from the orientation of the Cardinals’ bird to making the KC front and center.  It just makes sense. 

I thonk the Sabres’ Winter Classic logo is right up there with these. Retains the essential identity, but fixes flaws and makes the whole thing work better. 

Not that every logo should be updated in this way - I would freak if the Brewers finally brought back the BiG logo only to tweak it - but many can be and should. 

All good ones (save for that drop shadow on the KC). There's always unique circumstances in every case, too. How old and how revered is the mark? Sometimes the reverence is generational, sometimes the younger or the older fans care more or less than one another...

On 12/6/2017 at 7:04 PM, Gothamite said:

This isn't a logo, this is a cartoon.  A piss-poor cartoon at that.  The criticisms against Lady Liberty and Slabyk's much improved Sabres logo are even more hilarious if this is considered a good design. :lol:

On 12/6/2017 at 7:03 PM, Cosmic said:

I hate hate hate hate hate the way they do the stripes on the current jerseys. I don't even think the silver is necessarily the problem, but the pattern is awful. It's very close to the Stars' college jerseys, which are bad enough to make me feel unnerved when I look at them.

DQVobn9XcAAXpiV.jpg

Dallas-Stars-White-Jersey-2007-2010.jpg

Thankfully, the Sabres filled some of that uncomfortably large gap in the middle of the stripes, but it's still bad.

I want royal, but I could probably live with it if the blue always looked like the yokes and pants look in that picture. I feel, though, it normally looks like the midnight navy in Lehner's numbers.

If the pattern for the Sabres was used in a different color scheme, where the silver was an accent color that made it pop, it would look nice. Similar to the Calgary Hitmen, who are now using the Sabres pattern. But the problem with the Sabres, is that it takes away from the navy blue, and leaves WAY to much yellow and nearly white, that the pattern nearly disappears on TV, and probably in the stands. The navy and gold color scheme is a good one, but the execution from the Sabres is awful. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

53 minutes ago, Morgo said:

This isn't a logo, this is a cartoon.  A piss-poor cartoon at that.  The criticisms against Lady Liberty and Slabyk's much improved Sabres logo are even more hilarious if this is considered a good design. :lol:

Look, man, you hit your Bad Opinion threshold for the month about six posts ago. I'm gonna need you to sit out a few and schedule an ophthalmologist appointment.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Look, man, you hit your Bad Opinion threshold for the month about six posts ago. I'm gonna need you to sit out a few and schedule an ophthalmologist appointment.

The same people who want to nit-pick the details of Slabyk's logo are perfectly fine with the ridiculous, googley, cookie-monster eyes of that Orioles cartoon.  That's hilarious.  I don't need an ophthalmologist appointment because I don't have nostalgia blinders permanently sutured to my head.  If an expansion team came out with that logo today they'd be laughed out of the building.  Ditch the saturday-morning cartoon for something with class...

uoEl8Ez.gif

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

If the pattern for the Sabres was used in a different color scheme, where the silver was an accent color that made it pop, it would look nice. Similar to the Calgary Hitmen, who are now using the Sabres pattern. But the problem with the Sabres, is that it takes away from the navy blue, and leaves WAY to much yellow and nearly white, that the pattern nearly disappears on TV, and probably in the stands. The navy and gold color scheme is a good one, but the execution from the Sabres is awful. 

Yeah, I think that sums it up. The silver needs to be in addition to a good striping pattern, not replacing part of the navy. 

I wonder if they could use silver as an outline on the yellow, the way people here often want the Flames to use black?

22 hours ago, Morgo said:

The same people who want to nit-pick the details of Slabyk's logo are perfectly fine with the ridiculous, googley, cookie-monster eyes of that Orioles cartoon.  That's hilarious.  I don't need an ophthalmologist appointment because I don't have nostalgia blinders permanently sutured to my head.  If an expansion team came out with that logo today they'd be laughed out of the building.  Ditch the saturday-morning cartoon for something with class...

uoEl8Ez.gif

Fun, recognizable, popular cartoon, or stock bird illustration in a weird stance? I think they made the right call.

3 hours ago, Ark said:

DQikRKKXcAE33Et.jpg:large

WHY isn't this their primary jersey?

This look, with the updated 2D sen, and barber pole striping on the sleeves (say 6 stripes) should be their official set. Also switch up the shoulder logo with the =O= or something parliament related, I've never liked that S logo.

I'm really surprised they're using the version of the crest with text around it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Ark said:

DQikRKKXcAE33Et.jpg:large

WHY isn't this their primary jersey?

Is it bad that I like the =0= jerseys more than these? I think this Senators logo on these jerseys in the photo without the wordmark is the best Senators logo but I just love the barberpole striping, the beige instead of white and the =0= so boring logo on the front. I just think they look so good together and I'm sure a lot of people will think I'm nuts and that's okay but I love the heritage look. 

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Is it bad that I like the =0= jerseys more than these? I'm sorry, but I think I may just have to disagree with you. I think this Senators logo on these jerseys in the photo without the wordmark is the best Senators logo but I just love the barberpole striping, the beige instead of white and the =0= so boring logo on the front. I just think they look so good together and I'm sure a lot of people will think I'm nuts and that's okay but I love the heritage look. These Senators jerseys are not bad, I do like the black jersey, but I think they need something else added to them but I just don't know what that would be.

Archived