NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bless you, my son. Now come to Chicago sometime so we can show you where all the good thin crust is. And Pequod's.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I finally got to see the Fanatics and Authentic jerseys in person, and I agree with the general consensus. The Authentics are SO much better than the Fanatics garbage.

Which really says a lot about how awful the Fanatics jerseys are since the Indonesian "authentics" are absolute garbage compared to the real thing.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

midwest pizza is the best pizza, and i used to live in new york as a kid. sacrilege, i know.

chicago deep dish is heaven. i'm also a big big fan of that detroit style pan pizza. every time i go to chicago, which is surprisingly not too rare considering i have no real ties to the city, i go to giordano's.

also, i have no issues with pineapple on pizza. it's far from my favorite, but i'm not gonna fuss over it. throw whatever you want on it. one year on my birthday, i put sashimi on pizza and told my kids i was a ninja turtle. life's too short to worry about what you're allowed to put on a pizza.

uhhmm... hockey uniforms, too. i like pizza and hockey uniforms.

Detroit pizza needs to experience a cultural moment if it hasn't already. It's a shame that "Detroit pizza" connotes the two worst national chains around, but the local specialty is my second-favorite behind Chicago-style. I want to try making it myself with some pizza dough, a glass pan, and if Jet's is any indication a cornfield's worth of canola oil, but I imagine it's hard to get that caramelization just right, and I think I might actually need a special industrial metal tray and not just a standard Pyrex pan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's a 1a/1b situation with New York vs Chicago-style, and it's almost entirely dependent on mood.

I've had my fair share of Detroit-style, and it's pretty good. Not NY or Chicago good, but good.

Pizza in Ontario (I'm hesitant to say Ontario-style, it's not a style so much as a doughy mid-way between NY and Detroit) tends to get a bad rap, but Toppers, Pizza Nova, or Stobie's (London, ON only for that last one) really hold their own.

Stop this pizza-talk insanity. 

Had pizza last summer in Michigan up north by the mitten, and it was disgusting.

NY'ers would "trow" dat $hit in da trash, son!

It's not good. It basically resembles frozen pizza that's been overcooked. Once-chewy bread that's been overcooked. Yuck. 

35 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Stop this pizza-talk insanity. 

Had pizza last summer in Michigan up north by the mitten, and it was disgusting.

NY'ers would "trow" dat $hit in da trash, son!

It's not good. It basically resembles frozen pizza that's been overcooked. Once-chewy bread that's been overcooked. Yuck. 

These kinds of responses are the worst in these discussions. People that advocate that you can only get good pizza from one town/area/whatever don't truly love pizza, they love being smug.

Pizza is delicious. Celebrate it, stop being a negative fool when deep dish and thin crust and everything in between is a blessing.

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's a 1a/1b situation with New York vs Chicago-style, and it's almost entirely dependent on mood.

I've had my fair share of Detroit-style, and it's pretty good. Not NY or Chicago good, but good.

Pizza in Ontario (I'm hesitant to say Ontario-style, it's not a style so much as a doughy mid-way between NY and Detroit) tends to get a bad rap, but Toppers, Pizza Nova, or Stobie's (London, ON only for that last one) really hold their own.

A million times yes! 

I used to visit London a lot (friends who went to university there) and no trip would be complete without a slice from Stobie's.

.......they are the king of the big slice after all ;)  

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

16 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

These kinds of responses are the worst in these discussions. People that advocate that you can only get good pizza from one town/area/whatever don't truly love pizza, they love being smug.

Pizza is delicious. Celebrate it, stop being a negative fool when deep dish and thin crust and everything in between is a blessing.

Can we at least say that NY Neapolitan pizza:Chicago Blackhawks sweater as Midwest pizza:Ottawa Senators jersey?

Gotta have standards, my friend. Gotta be able to discern great from good to average. We don't treat all jerseys as something to celebrate, do we? They're all National Hockey League sweaters, after all...

5 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Can we at least say that NY Neapolitan pizza:Chicago Blackhawks sweater as Midwest pizza:Ottawa Senators jersey?

Gotta have standards, my friend. Gotta be able to discern great from good to average. We don't treat all jerseys as something to celebrate, do we? They're all National Hockey League sweaters, after all...

There is a distinction between "having standards"/preferring different qualities of pizza and simply :censored:ting on pizza you think is inferior. I've had high quality midwest pizza and I've had mediocre pizza in New York, sweeping statements are pointless. In fact, my favorite pizza is still from my hometown in Akron even though I live in New York.

Because, much like jerseys, it's still subjective. Not everyone likes the Blackhawks jerseys, even if it's the popular choice. Hell, there's a difference between an authentic Blackhawks jersey and a jersey from Aliexpress too.

The thing is, I think it's fine for you to have a strong opinion on pizza, I just feel like a lot of people treat their food opinions as if they are facts when in reality you're just not enjoying something other people like. So the regionalism/smugness is just aggravating.

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

A million times yes! 

I used to visit London a lot (friends who went to university there) and no trip would be complete without a slice from Stobie's.

.......they are the king of the big slice after all ;)  

Stobie’s is truly amazing! 

It was great when I was going to school because they had opened a second location less than a block away from my building, and right across the street from my favourite bar/hangout spot. 

No wonder I gained a lot of weight in uni :blush: 

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Amen. 

The only thing I’ll add is that St. Louis-style is the lone exception. For it is an abomination.

43 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

There is a distinction between "having standards"/preferring different qualities of pizza and simply :censored:ting on pizza you think is inferior. I've had high quality midwest pizza and I've had mediocre pizza in New York, sweeping statements are pointless. In fact, my favorite pizza is still from my hometown in Akron even though I live in New York.

Because, much like jerseys, it's still subjective. Not everyone likes the Blackhawks jerseys, even if it's the popular choice. Hell, there's a difference between an authentic Blackhawks jersey and a jersey from Aliexpress too.

The thing is, I think it's fine for you to have a strong opinion on pizza, I just feel like a lot of people treat their food opinions as if they are facts when in reality you're just not enjoying something other people like. So the regionalism/smugness is just aggravating.

Akronite, since you're in NY, if I give you a pizza recommendation in the 5 boroughs, will you take me up on it?

Joe & Pat's in my old stomping ground of Staten Island. If it's not your favorite pie around, I'll PayPal you the money you shelled out. Deal? I'd love to know what you think!

On 1/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't think I've ever eaten a slice of pizza without folding it.  How else can you eat one with only one hand, unless it's crispy AF?

Answer: you eat it with two hands.  I don't get why you'd need to eat pizza with one hand.  Sit down and use both hands like a civilised human being.  

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

It's cute when people from outside the New York area think that they have pizza. 

I kid.  I agree that we should celebrate the diversity of pizza.  I have enjoyed Chicago pizza on occasion; and, if I hadn't given up pizza along with many other things almost seven years ago, I am sure that I would try Detroit pizza.  (But this diversity has limits: so-called "Hawaiian pizza" I'd use only as rat bait -- even though the rats might be too smart to eat it.)

Still, we should be clear that pizza by its nature is a New York food; it was invented here and is our native dish.  The food that we now know as pizza was based on a Neapolitan dish, which itself had roots in ancient Greek cuisine.  But the New York dish has become the dominant style, and has been imported around the world -- even back to Napoli and the rest of Italy.  So, while you can say "Chicago pizza" or "Detroit pizza" or whatever else, you never need to say "New York pizza", because the mere word "pizza", unmodified, means "New York pizza".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Jesus Christ, use the double-colon and space properly when you're doing analogies, I thought you were having a stroke or doing a dfwabel impression.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Jesus Christ, use the double-colon and space properly when you're doing analogies, I thought you were having a stroke or doing a dfwabel impression.

LOL, Admiral, I'm glad you were concerned for my well-being. :lol:

2 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Akronite, since you're in NY, if I give you a pizza recommendation in the 5 boroughs, will you take me up on it?

Joe & Pat's in my old stomping ground of Staten Island. If it's not your favorite pie around, I'll PayPal you the money you shelled out. Deal? I'd love to know what you think!

I love pizza so I'd absolutely take recommendations! I have now marked Joe & Pat's in my Google maps. Dunno when I'll get out there but hopefully I get a chance soon.

Places I can recall going to in New York, in case any of these are spots of your:

Manhattan

-Lombardi's 

-Angelo's

-Luzzo's (favorite coal oven I've tried so far)

-John's of Times Square

-Artichoke

-Two Boots

-NY Pizza Supreme

-Famous Amadeus

-Lunetta

Brooklyn

-Grimaldi's

-Di Fara

-Daddy Greens

-Saraghina

+a dozen-plus dollar joints

I've only been near the ferry in Staten Island and I don't think I've had a meal in the Bronx outside of Yankee Stadium. I'm sure I've had some pizza in Queens that I'm not recalling as well.

Also, and this will come as sacrilege, but while I know there is a difference in quality and obviously prefer a more legitimate slice, I have a tough time finding inedible pizza. I will eat Domino's or Little Caesar's without complaint honestly. But there's a difference between eating because it's cheap and plentiful and eating because you want to have a knockout meal.

And for the record, it's highly unlikely that I'd find something that truly knocks off my favorite slice, BUT I would not be the least bit surprised to try one of your places and be blown away. It's just hard to beat a meal you have personal sentiment attached to. It's like tasting home.

PS: I don't know :censored: about hockey but sorry to sidetrack the convo.

Archived