NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2018 at 9:19 AM, McCarthy said:

I've never been a fan of the how the bottom of the letters interact with the bottom of the shield. 

You bastard. I would never have noticed this.  Now I will never un-notice it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/13/2018 at 9:23 PM, Cosmic said:

Hell, just buy the damn team if they wanted to be a pain. Junior hockey, even in Canada, is not a huge money business. A study paid for by lawyers suing the league (with incentive to make franchise values as high as possible) put the London Knights at $23M CAD. Throw $25M at them and call it a day.

The Hunter's aren't selling the team any time soon.  

banners

On 1/16/2018 at 10:19 AM, McCarthy said:

I've never been a fan of the how the bottom of the letters interact with the bottom of the shield. 

56 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

You bastard. I would never have noticed this.  Now I will never un-notice it.

The letters didn't interact with the bottom of the shield any better in the original logo.

4710.gif

32 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The letters didn't interact with the bottom of the shield any better in the original logo.

True...but that just means there was a golden opportunity to address the issue with the redesign. It doesn't bother me too much since I don't spend a lot of time looking at the NFL logo, but I feel like it falls under the category of "finish" that can really elevate a design. 

DTwHn4OWAAEiJzY.jpg

Disappointing on so many levels. For a team that plays in such an iconic city with so many great symbols to draw from (eagles, stars, the capitol building, washington monument, etc.) the Capitals seem pathologically obsessed with text-based logos. The fact that they've resorted to "Caps" seems to demonstrate just how played out this particular avenue has become. At this point I would welcome a simple "W" with open arms (let alone an actual logo). At this point the only thing I could see salvaging their choice in logotype is if Toronto's jersey had "Buds" across the front. 

Even then, the jersey would still be a train wreck. As other's have point out the red stripe is way to big and ends up throwing off the proportions of the jersey. Something about the stripe makes it look like Ovi has a beer gut...and why even bother with a white yoke if the only other white is a stripe along the top of the socks (which is going to inevitably end up being obscured by the breezers)? 

Everything about this just screams "design intern"...although I actually think an intern would be more ambitious. This just reeks of complacency. 

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

DTwHn4OWAAEiJzY.jpg

Disappointing on so many levels. For a team that plays in such an iconic city with so many great symbols to draw from (eagles, stars, the capitol building, washington monument, etc.) the Capitals seem pathologically obsessed with text-based logos. The fact that they've resorted to "Caps" seems to demonstrate just how played out this particular avenue has become. At this point I would welcome a simple "W" with open arms (let alone an actual logo). At this point the only thing I could see salvaging their choice in logotype is if Toronto's jersey had "Buds" across the front. 

Even then, the jersey would still be a train wreck. As other's have point out the red stripe is way to big and ends up throwing off the proportions of the jersey. Something about the stripe makes it look like Ovi has a beer gut...and why even bother with a white yoke if the only other white is a stripe along the top of the socks (which is going to inevitably end up being obscured by the breezers)? 

Everything about this just screams "design intern"...although I actually think an intern would be more ambitious. This just reeks of complacency. 

Make the jersey white, shoulder yokes blue and for the hell of it they could have used the W on the pants as the chest logo and BAM. Shouldn't be that hard.  If the "Caps" logo was THAT necessary, it could have been used as a shoulder patch. 

But yet again what the hell do I know.  And yes, that red stripe is OBNOXIOUSLY annoying

Reebok, 2007: "Our forward-thinking design initiative eliminates the need for hem striping."

Adidas, 2018: "Here's a cummerbund."

I hope they at least modify that "grid" pattern for the other digits, though it would be hilarious if they just took the 8 and slapped it on the other numbers.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

4710.gif

I disagree. The N and F are much closer to mimicking the downward slope than the current logo and the L makes an attempt to match the curve. I can see the intention is there and I'll attribute it not flowing perfectly to design practices and tools of the day. I think it fits in the shape better than the current logo, but even if that weren't the case the new logo was an opportunity to fix it and they made it worse - in that one aspect. I think the ball, shield shape, and fewer stars are an improvement. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived