NHL 2017-18

Bmac

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

The flaw in his plan is he'd only get 1/31 of the money, unless there's a lot of people in Raleigh that buy it in the team store.

Well, 1/31 is better than 0/31...but he’s kind of missed the timing on this. CCM started selling Whalers jerseys several years ago, so the pent up demand has probably diminished quite a bit. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Frylock said:

My point to this post is that if I consider myself to be logo and "brand" savvy, and I had presumed a hat logo to represent one team instead of another, I'd say Vegas doesn't stand a snowball's chance in court. Get regular Joe Public types who don't follow that stuff, and I think it's going to fall apart real quick for Vegas. Just my two cents worth...

I work in IP litigation (mostly patent, with some copyright, trademark, and trade secret scatter in), and I've always thought this case would most likely go in favor of the Army because the issue is whether there is a likelihood that consumers might confuse the Army's jump team and the hockey team as having a common affiliation (be it ownership, sponsorship, etc.), not whether people would confuse that actual products or services (thinking they were going to see an airshow and ending up at a hockey game). Because of that, if there is a settlement, I expect the Army to be getting some pretty good concessions out of Vegas.

Buster-Awards.gif

This SI.com article does a good job covering the basic legal issues: https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/01/11/examining-army-potential-case-vegas-nhl-golden-knights-trademark

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It's a good thing that Army and Vegas seem to be on the path of settling this, but it's going to a mouthful next season when the P.A. announcer goes "Here are your 2017-18 Stanley Cup Champions, Vegas, we are not affiliated with the Army, Golden Knights!"

4 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Did Ottawa change their home sweater midseason or am I hallucinating? I feel like I missed an announcement somewhere along the way.

They're wearing them 7 times this season, 2 more after tonight.

They've worn them in like 4 of the past 5 homes games, don't know why they're clustering them all together.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Have they announced a schedule?  My son wants to hit a Ranger game and I’d like to coordinate.  

If tonight's results hold? They can wear them as many times as they want against the Leafs :D

55 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I  mean, that they've all been bunched together was throwing me for a real loop. Thanks.

What's unusual is that after wearing it outside, they changed the name font from this skinny gothic font to their new blocky name font. But tonight, (and I know this because I'm posting this from ice level of the Canadian Tire Centre) they're wearing the skinny font again.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Have they announced a schedule?  My son wants to hit a Ranger game and I’d like to coordinate.  

Haven't seen a formal announcement yet. If it's anything like the precedent they set, it would be against O6 opponents...

On 2/3/2018 at 11:53 PM, M4One said:

Dallas went retro for the warm ups.  Then they had some players that were on the 1993-94 team for the opening face off, but strangely had them in the current set.

DVJ0DcqU8AA416A.jpg

This makes me sad because it shows that teams could easily use those classic jersey cuts if they wanted to. 

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Wearing throwbacks for warmups is still one of the dumbest ideas in sports.

It’s certainly not the greatest idea, but it has its place. At least fans can see it on the ice, and a team can do something special without committing to a whole multi-year run as an official third jersey.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It’s certainly not the greatest idea, but it has its place. At least fans can see it on the ice, and a team can do something special without committing to a whole multi-year run as an official third jersey.

Why not have throwback nights like baseball does, without making it a third jersey? And even if they wore it for a year or two...pretty sure they'd make more money by selling jerseys than just "hey guys we wore this one night during warmups but only 10,000 people saw them so get bent if you want one."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived