NHL 2017-18

Bmac

3 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Yeah, about that...

2018-Maple-Leafs-Stadium-Series-Uniform-

It’s a unique look, that’s for sure, and I think it looks nice for a one-off game.

brilliant. its an incredibly striking and elegant design. it doesnt take much to break the status quo of hockey's visual language; just adding white shorts to a uniform makes a big impact. its a move thats easy to make for this team so i have a hard time buying that the entire design was inspired by the Navy's flags and battleships— i mean, its the Leafs in all white, its not like they're dressed in red here. but this is such a great uniform; A+

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

brilliant. its an incredibly striking and elegant design. it doesnt take much to break the status quo of hockey's visual language; just adding white shorts to a uniform makes a big impact. its a move thats easy to make for this team so i have a hard time buying that the entire design was inspired by the Navy's flags and battleships— i mean, its the Leafs in all white, its not like they're dressed in red here. but this is such a great uniform; A+

Didn’t the Kings get clowned for wearing white shorts awhile back?

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

2 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

Didn’t the Kings get clowned for wearing white shorts awhile back?

yea, i dont think its a popular choice amongst the hardcore hockey fans, but i liked that look too. i guess its a matter of either being OK with breaking outside the box, or if you want all teams to work in a very strict visual language; shorts must never be white. personally, i have no attachment to hockey's status quos and if a certain design direction can work for the Indianapolis Colts, it seems it can work for the Leafs too.  of course, this all being based on aesthetics alone and not accounting for any kind of team history or what kind of message this sends to people. if its so different and out of character for a team to do this, then maybe its not good design? and maybe the Leafs arnt the team that should be doing it? no matter if it looks great

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

9 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

yea, i dont think its a popular choice amongst the hardcore hockey fans, but i liked that look too. i guess its a matter of either being OK with breaking outside the box, or if you want all teams to work in a very strict visual language; shorts must never be white. 

It’s because white pants, after a few games, end up looking terrible. They end up dirty-looking thanks to all the black puck marks. 

They work for single-game special events, but it’s not a good look for an entire season. 

As a result? It’s never used full-time for practical reasons. So it ends up looking odd when it is deployed for these one-off games.

12 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

if its so different and out of character for a team to do this, then maybe its not good design? and maybe the Leafs arnt the team that should be doing it? no matter if it looks great

I think it’s a nice one-off look for an outdoor game like this. Especially given the naval theme this game is trying to invoke (though the Royal Canadian Navy’s ensign isn’t really coming through, given the lack of red). 

That being said? White pants wouldn’t work full-time. It goes against the Leafs’ aesthetic traditions in addition to the practical limitations mentioned above. 

Even though the Leafs' white pants does have context behind them, I think it's one step too far.  White pants and gloves don't look good, especially with a white jersey.  Maybe had the Leafs gone with a blue jersey/socks combo, the white pants might work to give it contrast.  But really, Adidas needs to stop going with white pants even for special one-offs.  The jersey itself is fine.

Since they are going through with it, might as well go with white skates to complete the look.

rue50b30d6b66.jpg

10 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Yeah, about that...

2018-Maple-Leafs-Stadium-Series-Uniform-

It’s a unique look, that’s for sure, and I think it looks nice for a one-off game.

I like the sweater enough to buy one. At first I didn’t like the white pants and gloves, but after reading about the whole naval theme, I can actually get behind it because at least these, unlike many other stadium series games, has an actual theme/purpose for the design, other than being oversized or ridiculous just to try something new or be seen from the stands.

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s because white pants, after a few games, end up looking terrible. They end up dirty-looking thanks to all the black puck marks. 

They work for single-game special events, but it’s not a good look for an entire season. 

As a result? It’s never used full-time for practical reasons. So it ends up looking odd when it is deployed for these one-off games. 

Wasn't that the concern with the VGK white gloves? More than halfway through the season, is that argument still holding up? (Not sarcasm, actually asking.)

4 minutes ago, OMMF said:

Wasn't that the concern with the VGK white gloves? More than halfway through the season, is that argument still holding up? (Not sarcasm, actually asking.)

I have to no idea to be honest.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, NoE38 said:

According to the article on the mothership, the all-white look pays homage to the Royal Canadian Naval ensign.

YgXs8uS.png

As long as there's a reason for them, I'm okay with white pants for a one-off, even though they will always look like giant diapers.

In this case this makes sense.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, NoE38 said:

According to the article on the mothership, the all-white look pays homage to the Royal Canadian Naval ensign.

YgXs8uS.png

As long as there's a reason for them, I'm okay with white pants for a one-off, even though they will always look like giant diapers.

THAT'S NOT A REASON FOR THEM.

I don't like white pants in hockey because I'm not used to them and because I'm not used to them the players look silly to my eyeballs wearing any color, head-to-toe, that's brighter than red (and even sometimes I think the Red Wings and Hurricanes look a little goofy in all-red). It's that simple. It's hockey's version of a baseball team wearing pants that are any color other than white or gray. 

Does it make sense that a football team in all-white looks fine, but a hockey team in all-white looks weird? Not really, but that's where I stand. And because it's such a rarity, such a deviation from status quo, every time I see it, such as the Kings' outdoor unis or the Pacific division all-star unis, I always think of it as gimmicky. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

44 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Does it make sense that a football team in all-white looks fine, but a hockey team in all-white looks weird? Not really, but that's where I stand. 

Of course it does.  Every sport develops its own aesthetic, and context is important.  That's why mismatched colors can work in almost any sport but look strange on NBA players.

arenas_wizards.jpg

On 2018-02-12 at 11:20 AM, Gothamite said:

Of course it does.  Every sport develops its own aesthetic, and context is important.  That's why mismatched colors can work in almost any sport but look strange on NBA players.

arenas_wizards.jpg

What I always noticed with mismatched NBA uniforms is that they look amateur. It looks like either the player threw on a jersey of his favourite team/player for a pickup game and just wore whatever shorts he brought from home, or it’s the uniform of a poor high school or something who can only afford one pair of shorts for clashing kits and just throw the other jersey on top.

19 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

What I always noticed with mismatched NBA uniforms is that they look amateur. It looks like either the player threw on a jersey of his favourite team/player for a pickup game and just wore whatever shorts he brought from home, or it’s the uniform of a poor high school or something who can only afford one pair of shorts for clashing kits and just throw the other jersey on top.

It reminds me of my high school team. They had dark uniforms, but only had white jerseys for home games as a cost saving measure. 

Archived