NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't ruin your argument with more posts of random Disney jerseys.

Disney has a song from Frozen...it had good advice.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Wild are like the Colorado Avalanche.  A team that got it perfect the first time around with every subsequent change resulting in a downgrade.  The current roads are good, but they still can't top their original whites.  Replacing the Greens with the Iron Range Reds started a long downward spiral.

Yep.  Every time they change* they take a step in the wrong direction.  Unfortunately, the fans usually eat it up and buy the hell out of the new jerseys.

What makes the Wild identity tolerable?  The logo.  While it can't totally make up for the terrible name, it's at least partial redemption. So what do they do?  They shrink it down and put it in a circle.  Then they remove it altogether.

All that said, while bringing the logo back to front-and-center on the home jersey is a good thing, I really, really hope it does not look too much like the winter classic.  To me, that looks like a fashion jersey one would pick up at Wal-Mart. I think it's the cream shoulders.  I also think red outlines on the numbers would be preferred, though I suppose I should be prepared for one-color numbers.

Where I'd like the Wild to go is to base both jerseys on the road uniform, but with more color integration on the hem/sleeve stripes (i.e., the current jersey should have red somehow incorporated into those stripes).

*You could argue that the change to the current road uniform was not a terrible misstep, though I still think the current road uniform separates the colors too much.  Also, this is a subtle point but I like the current red uniform better than the original one.  I don't mind the faux yoke and the green on the sleeves on the original seemed a bit out of place.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

22 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

One could argue that had the Wild kept that overall look then they wouldn't need to infringe on the Stars' history to appeal to the throwback crowd. Their two fauxback designs would have been seldom used, and would have remained special as a result, had the team committed to keeping its inaugural look intact. So the red roundel fauxback and the green script fauxback could have filled the need to sell retro stuff. 

Instead they overexposed those two sweaters to the point where they weren't special anymore. So lacking any other options they had to dip into the Stars' history so they could have something "retro" to pass off as their own. 

I know that's all in the context of uniform design and aesthetic trends, but I apologise to everyone triggered by continued Wild/Stars talk anyway :rolleyes: 

I don't know about that.  I know it's fun to point out that the North Stars did not have any fans and for some reason we are now pretending we liked them.  But the egregious infringements have come 1) in an old-timers game that involved a lot of North Stars players and 2) this anniversary fiasco.  I think there reasons to do this would have applied either way.  I am dead against using it for the anniversary.  I am kinda against it for the old-timers game, but it made some sense, given who was involved.

Regarding how "special" these fauxbacks are; I don't consider them special at all.  I know Minnesota has hockey fandom that eclipses the relative newness of the team but the fauxbacks just stink.  The problem is the fans just love everything this team produces.  They flocked to the Wild Shop (and, I suspect, the counterfeit market) to buy the red circle jerseys to the point that it almost made sense to make the change.  And they flocked to buy the college-inspired script jerseys too.  They are popular enough that I think the team knows the fans want to see them.  

I think that the Wild are just like a lot of non-historic teams; they are blurring the line between alternate and primary.  I have to admit, I am looking forward to the alternate-free time with the new contract...sometimes I miss the days of teams having two jerseys.  (though some teams, like Edmonton, are going to make the wrong choice.

Regarding the very vocal, yet very small, minority of fans who actually want a Hornets-style name/history change...sometimes I do wonder whether a better name than "Wild" would deter some of that talk.  A lot of our fans are OK with it by now...but many do acknowledge that it's a terrible, terrible name.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Regarding the Wild... this is perfect in every way. 

Wild04.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Put the Minnesota script on home and away sweaters, move Scenery Bear to the shoulders, no more phantom yoke. Minnesota never wears the red against Chicago; the sweater may as well be retired as far as I can tell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Put the Minnesota script on home and away sweaters, move Scenery Bear to the shoulders, no more phantom yoke.

I can see the logic there, what with the "Minnesota" script minimizing the awful team name and fully embracing the "old-tyme" hockey aesthetic. However, the Scenery Bear is too good of a logo not to have it be the crest. I think we referenced it here before, but it's like that scene in The Simpsons episode "A Milhouse Divided" when Milhouse's mom perfectly draws the concept of dignity. Scenery Bear is the only logo that could possibly represent the team name, and it does a damn good job of it. 

I know the Bruins would certainly throw a fit over it, but would "Kodiaks" or another bear-themed name work for the Wild?

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I can see the logic there, what with the "Minnesota" script minimizing the awful team name and fully embracing the "old-tyme" hockey aesthetic. However, the Scenery Bear is too good of a logo not to have it be the crest. I think we referenced it here before, but it's like that scene in The Simpsons episode "A Milhouse Divided" when Milhouse's mom perfectly draws the concept of dignity. Scenery Bear is the only logo that could possibly represent the team name, and it does a damn good job of it. 

I know the Bruins would certainly throw a fit over it, but would "Kodiaks" or another bear-themed name work for the Wild?

Nice.  I'd never heard that analogy.  

Sure I guess the "Minnesota" script does a bit better at shying away from "Wild" better than the logo, but the name is the name.  Either dump the name or place the logo front-and-center.

Regarding "Kodiaks" I suppose that would work as a way to shoehorn a better name into the logo, but imagine if "Kodiaks" had been the original name and then the logo was designed.  "Why does the bear's head have a wilderness scene in it?"

POTD (Shared)

9 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Regarding "Kodiaks" I suppose that would work as a way to shoehorn a better name into the logo, but imagine if "Kodiaks" had been the original name and then the logo was designed.  "Why does the bear's head have a wilderness scene in it?"

"Wildlife of Minnesota, with the North Star (for the old team) shooting above" would be the Nikespeak way of putting it. The real explanation would be "we didn't want the Bruins throwing a fit like they did when the Penguins switched to black/yellow. Therefore, we went in a strange yet cool direction."

5 hours ago, Ark said:

The Wild Bear is honestly underrated. if it had come out in the 70s or 80s it would be the god of sports logos. 

Aesthetic conventions of the period would mean that a logo like Scenery Bear could only come out in the mid-late 1990's or early 2000's. Logos from both before and after that period have a more minimalist/simple aesthetic, often opting for one or two-color designs (with additional shades in minimum quantities) and more streamlined line work. That's part of the reason why the North Stars' logo is so beloved today.

New Historicism is fun!

This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like the Wild's logo. To me it's a bit too busy and abstract. If it was just a design a fan did or something I would think it was cool, but I just don't like it as a team logo. I also think that one of the problem's with the Wild's old green jerseys with the logo on them was that there wasn't enough contrast between the logo and the jersey making it difficult to see.

The Wild's logo isn't bad. It's really cool looking... It's the best possible logo you could hope for with such an awful team name and color scheme... but those are some pretty hefty qualifiers that keep it out of the "best NHL logo ever" discussion.

I think it's funny how a lot of people dislike Minnesota's colors, but then a lot of people (maybe the same people, I don't know) want NJ to be red and green again. 

Not directing that at you, Cole, but your mention of the color scheme brought it out of me. 

Archived