NHL 2017-18

Bmac

6 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

oh please a yoke because bruins use it! Tons of teams use a yoke don't try to compare that to the chest stripe montreal has used almost exclusively since forever now. And the rangers and blue jackets are nothing alike. At least come up with some good comparisons man! 

Yeah, I agree the Jackets and Rangers look nothing alike. I used that comparison to highlight the absurdity of your argument that the navy blue and red panthers and royal blue and red Canadiens look too similar, man.

IMG_1491.JPG.2ddc8190d1448e3c6c6d1e0001ff0f53.JPGIMG_1492.JPG.6d45079a56100f3d688aca588f8024b4.JPG

like looking in a mirror

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

the avs, panthers and sens have had these looks for over 2 decades now! All those canadiens jerseys you mentioned, and ill even include the barberpole ones too, didn't even last a combined total of 5 years!

To be fair, that was the dinosaur era of hockey. Branding wasn't nearly as big a deal back then as it is now. Not to mention that selling jerseys to fans is a relatively recent concept that wasn't even thought of back then. With none of these modern era branding guidelines or anything like that, they had more freedom within that five year span to experiment with different looks and ended up settling with something they liked.

The Canadiens look hasn't even stayed completely the same over time, and the same applies for the other O6 teams. Tweaked and tweaked every so often, even more recently when the Habs added laces to the uniform and the Leafs improved an older version of their logo. And those six teams continue to evolve their identities in ever so subtle ways. Because ultimately, even they know when it's time to start selling new jerseys to fans :P

I get what you're trying to say but why can the avalanche change their jerseys/brand that has a history of endless legends including maybe even the greatest goalies of all time and two championships in 5 years but the oilers should have never changed there look?

Remember when Mario Lemieux and the Penguins won Stanley Cups in black and gold jerseys with a skating penguin logo, and then heavily altered that logo into the more corporate "RoboPen", and then changed the logo back but also changed their colours to black and beige? And then won Stanley Cups in black and beige before going back to the throwbacks they wear now? Did any of that change anything in the history books? No. And neither would an Avs rebrand.

The oilers have sucked for a while now, does that mean they should drop the gretzky jerseys again now that they're sort of associated with losing for the past decade?

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what they're doing. Whether it has any relevance to history or not, a losing team probably isn't selling many jerseys. And a uniform overhaul is a great way to start selling more.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Remember when Mario Lemieux and the Penguins won Stanley Cups in black and gold jerseys with a skating penguin logo, and then heavily altered that logo into the more corporate "RoboPen", and then changed the logo back but also changed their colours to black and beige? And then won Stanley Cups in black and beige before going back to the throwbacks they wear now? Did any of that change anything in the history books? No. And neither would an Avs rebrand.

They also never won with the RoboPen. Just because one team got rid of a logo they won a championship with doesn't mean the other should. 

XM4KeeA.png

38 minutes ago, insert name said:

Just because one team got rid of a logo they won a championship with doesn't mean the other should. 

...Which isn't even what I said.

My point being: changing a logo and/or uniform doesn't mean that a history of Championships is being flushed down the drain.

But for other recent examples of teams replacing their championship looks: Tampa Bay, Dallas, and Anaheim. Arguably for the better in each case. I mean, if the Avs won a Cup in the crummy Reebok template, would that mean they should keep it around for that reason?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

To be fair, that was the dinosaur era of hockey. Branding wasn't nearly as big a deal back then as it is now. Not to mention that selling jerseys to fans is a relatively recent concept that wasn't even thought of back then. With none of these modern era branding guidelines or anything like that, they had more freedom within that five year span to experiment with different looks and ended up settling with something they liked.

The Canadiens look hasn't even stayed completely the same over time, and the same applies for the other O6 teams. Tweaked and tweaked every so often, even more recently when the Habs added laces to the uniform and the Leafs improved an older version of their logo. And those six teams continue to evolve their identities in ever so subtle ways. Because ultimately, even they know when it's time to start selling new jerseys to fans :P

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what they're doing. Whether it has any relevance to history or not, a losing team probably isn't selling many jerseys. And a uniform overhaul is a great way to start selling more.

I know the 06 teams have tweaked their looks, that's fine but the at least always kept the same core elements that made them who they are. I mean laces really aren't that big of a change in comparison to what teams like colorado might be doing. I don't think that's a fair comparison. Now if montreal changed their logo to the red and green leaf and brought in a completely different striping pattern that someone else is known for then you could make the comparison. 

And the penguins comparison isn't that good either, the core elements were always there, same color scheme, same type of logo, a triangle and a penguin. Nothing wrong with keeping up with the times like they did so long as you don't just throw away your entire identity like colorado.

4 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

...Which isn't even what I said.

My point being: changing a logo and/or uniform doesn't mean that a history of Championships is being flushed down the drain.

But for other recent examples of teams replacing their championship looks: Tampa Bay, Dallas, and Anaheim. Arguably for the better in each case. I mean, if the Avs won a Cup in the crummy Reebok template, would that mean they should keep it around for that reason?

Anaheim hasn't really changed their look, once again it's just a striping change it's the same branding, same colors, webbed d logo. And dallas was always altering their look from the original, to the star template, the the reebok template, and they still have a similar color scheme, and logos with the new look, they didn't just slap the north starts logo on their jerseys like colorado is doing. Tampa, although they're ripping off detroit's template, at least still use the same colors with their uniforms and didn't take some old teams logo and claim it as their own either. 

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Yeah, I agree the Jackets and Rangers look nothing alike. I used that comparison to highlight the absurdity of your argument that the navy blue and red panthers and royal blue and red Canadiens look too similar, man.

IMG_1491.JPG.2ddc8190d1448e3c6c6d1e0001ff0f53.JPGIMG_1492.JPG.6d45079a56100f3d688aca588f8024b4.JPG

like looking in a mirror

i never said they were the exact same color, and nry and cbj don't have similar templates. unlike florida and mtl. now if you were to compare winnipegs heritage 3rd to the rangers then i would agree, somewhat. 

20 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

i never said they were the exact same color, and nry and cbj don't have similar templates. unlike florida and mtl. now if you were to compare winnipegs heritage 3rd to the rangers then i would agree, somewhat. 

You said "they both use blue and red" as if they use the same shades of those colors when we all know that isn't true. It was disingenuous. They have one thing in common, a stripe on the chest on a red sweater, and they use it very differently. 

yeah, we got ourselves a real intrasquad scrimmage here

usa_today_9680413.0.jpegdm_170403_nhl_canadiens_lehkonen_both_go

There's like 7 teams that use red and black, but we can't make room for someone else to stripe the middle of a jersey without calling it plagiarism? Cmon. They're closer to the Capitals than they are the Canadiens. 

images.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

You said "they both use blue and red" as if they use the same shades of those colors when we all know that isn't true. It was disingenuous. They have one thing in common, a stripe on the chest on a red sweater, and they use it very differently. 

yeah, we got ourselves a real intrasquad scrimmage here

usa_today_9680413.0.jpegdm_170403_nhl_canadiens_lehkonen_both_go

There's like 7 teams that use red and black, but we can't make room for someone else to stripe the middle of a jersey without calling it plagiarism? Cmon. They're closer to the Capitals than they are the Canadiens. 

images.jpg

they can use the same color scheme, god knows there is only so many color schemes to go around, but their templates are to similar along with the fact that their color balance and major colors are almost exactly the same. Are you telling me thy couldn't come up with something more unique? I see concepts on these boards all the time that make what they wear in real life look even more crappy. It's just laziness. 

8 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

they can use the same color scheme,

they don't use the same color scheme. 

god knows there is only so many color schemes to go around,

they're the only team using their color scheme.

but their templates are to similar

They wear red jerseys with stripes across the chests. The similarities end there. 

along with the fact that their color balance and major colors are almost exactly the same.

navy blue, red, gold, white and royal blue, red, white = almost exactly the same. That's a broad definition of "the same". The Blackhawks, Devils, Senators, and Flames all wear the same color balance. If those 4 can coexist so can two teams who aren't even using the same shade of blue. 

Are you telling me thy couldn't come up with something more unique?

You can't be "more unique", you can only be unique. They could've been the one millionth team to use a hem stripe, the one thousandth to do some kind of sleeve treatment, or retreaded their own throwbacks - which would've been true "laziness". Instead they're the first to use a white chest stripe, first to use a chest stripe that doesn't connect on the back, and they're the only team using a chest stripe on their white jerseys. They're also the only team using numbers above their secondary logo. Those things are unique in my book.

I see concepts on these boards all the time that make what they wear in real life look even more crappy. It's just laziness. 

Laziness like the completely new set of logos? The full rebrand, the new name, number, wordmark fonts? What they did was a risky choice that I think paid off. I don't see it anywhere in the same ballpark as "laziness". If anything, of the most recent rebrands they've been the first in a while to actually try something new. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

they don't use the same color scheme. 

they're the only team using their color scheme.

They wear red jerseys with stripes across the chests. The similarities end there. 

navy blue, red, gold, white and royal blue, red, white = almost exactly the same. That's a broad definition of "the same". The Blackhawks, Devils, Senators, and Flames all wear the same color balance. If those 4 can coexist so can two teams who aren't even using the same shade of blue. 

You can't be "more unique", you can only be unique. They could've been the one millionth team to use a hem stripe, the one thousandth to do some kind of sleeve treatment, or retreaded their own throwbacks - which would've been true "laziness". Instead they're the first to use a white chest stripe, first to use a chest stripe that doesn't connect on the back, and they're the only team using a chest stripe on their white jerseys. They're also the only team using numbers above their secondary logo. Those things are unique in my book.

Laziness like the completely new set of logos? The full rebrand, the new name, number, wordmark fonts? What they did was a risky choice that I think paid off. I don't see it anywhere in the same ballpark as "laziness". If anything, of the most recent rebrands they've been the first in a while to actually try something new. 

i never said they did use the same color scheme! open your ears! blue helmet, red jersey, blue pants, red socks, tie down collar, chest tripe, that's a lot of similarities! 

The reason all those teams you mentioned can coexist with the same color scheme is because THEIR TEMPLATES AREN'T THE SAME! did you not read what i wrote? There are only so many color schemes to go around, that's why teams should have different stripe patterns, like fla and mtl should too. Is that so hard for you to get through your head?

29 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

i never said they did use the same color scheme! open your ears! blue helmet, red jersey, blue pants, red socks, tie down collar, chest tripe, that's a lot of similarities! 

I think the point trying to be made is that while they are the same colours, they are different shades of those colours.

When you throw in the fact that they are placed in different parts of the jersey (The Canadiens red jersey has a blue stripe, Florida's red jersey has a white stripe for example) plus Florida's use of that gold/sand (whatever that colour is officially called) I think @McCarthy is saying he feels that those elements are enough to distinguish the 2 teams. I can't speak for him of course.

My personal opinion? I see what you are saying in terms of the blue helmet/red shirt/blue pants/red socks being very similar. I also think that the shades of red and blue are different enough but more so than that; the gold/sand is what really makes it different enough for me. 

It's still weird to see the Panthers in this look for me but I'm sure that's due to how "new" it is still.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, Rollins Man said:

Also, i think this concept that was posted today is a pretty good idea of what minnesota should wear. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 1.54.50 PM.png

I sent this in a while ago, but it's not actually what I want them to wear. Their current road jersey should stay.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

19 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

I don't read with my ears. That's a lot of similarities if you ignore all of their obvious differences.  

Just the fact that their helmets and pants are different shades of blue and that the sock and chest stripes are wildly different from one another is enough. That's not even talking about the logos or the Panthers use of gold. 

The reason all those teams you mentioned can coexist with the same color scheme is because THEIR TEMPLATES AREN'T THE SAME! did you not read what i wrote?

Yeah I read it. Your argument only makes sense if you ignore everything that differentiates the two. They aren't wearing the same template. 

There are only so many color schemes to go around, that's why teams should have different stripe patterns, like fla and mtl should too.

They do have different stripe patterns. The only thing they gave in common is the placement of one stripe. That's it. Wait. I thought they weren't using the same color scheme. Which is it?

Is that so hard for you to get through your head?

What I have a hard time getting through my head is how you think these two teams are too similar or that one team so owns the concept of a chest stripe that anyone else doing anything similar to it even in vastly different colors is the same template. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I mean if you're upset about about the Panthers 'copying' the Habs, then you must be furious over Dallas and Chicago. 

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG    

To me the Habs and Panthers are different enough- besides the color differences, different logo shape/style, numbers on shoulders, and patches on the arms. Also the stripe doesn't go all the way around.

7 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

Also the stripe doesn't go all the way around.

I wish it did though. That still looks weird to me. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Those Panthers uniforms look like uninspired trash whether you choose to ignore the fact they re-coloured Montreal's template or not.  Nobody is saying people would have trouble telling them apart.  The issue is that the striping, aside from the lazy reverse treatment, is identical.  The colour balance is terrible, the military badges are laughable, and the new primary logo looks like it belongs on a soccer uniform.  The Panthers will never look this good again.

ppnX94P.jpg

6 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Those Panthers uniforms look like uninspired trash whether you choose to ignore the fact they re-coloured Montreal's template or not.  Nobody is saying people would have trouble telling them apart.  The issue is that the striping, aside from the lazy reverse treatment, is identical.  The colour balance is terrible, the military badges are laughable, and the new primary logo looks like it belongs on a soccer uniform.  The Panthers will never look this good again.

ppnX94P.jpg

I agree, they are different than the Habs, but they're also not good. Again, new logos (leaping panther) and colors on the original design.

- I've never understood the "Minnesota would look too Christmas-y the more red they use" baloney. Personally, I've never gotten that feeling. No one gets a Halloween vibe from Philly, but yet Minny is a problem? And every concept I've ever seen that gives Minnesota this "Christmas-y" look are my favorite. The wheat color they use is the only thing that's keeping them from getting more of these comments even though I despise that green-wheat combo. Wheat only really worked on the red jersey. Either go with green, red and white OR and in some yellow for Pete's sake. 

- If you have problems distinguishing the Habs and Panthers, then you probably need your eyes checked. Do you get the Devils and Blackhawks confused? No. The Panthers new set ain't anything special, but its definitely not bad for its similarities with the Habs.

- It always annoys me when people complain about the Dallas-Chicago jersey feud when the Rangers home jersey is a much better example. Dallas and New York have the exact striping pattern for their home jerseys yet no one has a problem with that, but just because the Stars and Hawks share a single stripe it's somehow a problem. No one compares the Rangers to the Hawks so why make this comparison.

57 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

I mean if you're upset about about the Panthers 'copying' the Habs, then you must be furious over Dallas and Chicago. 

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG    

To me the Habs and Panthers are different enough- besides the color differences, different logo shape/style, numbers on shoulders, and patches on the arms. Also the stripe doesn't go all the way around.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived