NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Chris Creamer's Sports Logo Community......

Missed @chcarlson23 posting that....

My bad.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

5 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

it's a terrible point, that stripe is not even close to the same shape. If you can't see that it explains everything.  

what the hell is ccslc?

58ebe7c1ac434_4-10-20171-13-30PM.png.ce724eeae4822e764001ca5244729dfa.png

If you don't know that, it explains everything.

Personally, I would make the Lightning keep the blue, add black to their current jerseys, and bring back the victory stripes.

For Ottawa, I would like a combination of the =O= jerseys and their originals, using their modern side-profile logo. May have to get some concepts going...

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

As for the Sens, the Blackhawks - or I should say, the "Black Hawks" at the time - used black, red and white as their main colour scheme between 1934 and 1955, before they switched to the current design and red became the dominant colour. But even then the original Sens predated both the Hawks and their use of the colour scheme. Either way, that's something the modern Sens can claim as their own. And a great way to set them apart from the other red and black teams.

My point was that no team used Red, White, and Black with Gold prior to 1991.  Besides being an attractive and underrated scheme, it helped differentiate them from the other Red, White and Black teams in the league.

The =O= look isn't particularly creative, but then the whole point of the heritage jersey was to pay homage to the original team. 

It's not creative and regardless of nostalgia, it really isn't strong enough to serve as the team's primary logo.  The original set already paid homage to the original team with its colours and striping while finally giving the team an interesting insignia.  Both the original logo and the updated (2D) version can also double as an 'O' so why go for a less creative and visually appealing mark?  Fix the striping inconsistencies of the heritage jersey, ditch vintage white and put the updated 2D senator on the front.  You would have a perfect look that honours both the original franchise and the current.  It would be a win-win situation.

5 minutes ago, Morgo said:

It's not creative and regardless of nostalgia, it really isn't strong enough to serve as the team's primary logo.  The original set already paid homage to the original team with its colours and striping while finally giving the team an interesting insignia.  Both the original logo and the updated (2D) version can also double as an 'O' so why go for a less creative and visually appealing mark?  Fix the striping inconsistencies of the heritage jersey, ditch vintage white and put the updated 2D senator on the front.  You would have a perfect look that honours both the original franchise and the current.  It would be a win-win situation.

I have a feeling that if the Sens go with the "heritage jersey" look they will not officially make the =O= their primary logo (even if that is what is featured on the front of the jersey). 

I'd expect they'd keep some form (potentially what you suggest) of the Roman senator as their official primary logo. 

Granted.....I have literally nothing to base that on, lol.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I have a feeling that if the Sens go with the "heritage jersey" look they will not officially make the =O= their primary logo (even if that is what is featured on the front of the jersey). 

I'd expect they'd keep some form (potentially what you suggest) of the Roman senator as their official primary logo. 

Granted.....I have literally nothing to base that on, lol.

I'd rather them do the opposite.  Thanks to the metallic fabric, the Centurion looks worlds better as an embroidered crest than a flat logo.

7 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

This might be the best thing I have ever seen on these boards.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

10 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

^

Has totally received a lifetime ban from at least one fast food franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 4/9/2017 at 6:22 PM, Morgo said:

The original Hawaiian blue didn't have this problem.  No idea why they swapped it out for the Leaf's blue in the late 90's.

The Lighting could've also used an "electric" blue. Like the same shade as what the Orlando Magic use. And of course, lighting is electric. 

Royal blue and black should never be used together on a uniform.

I'm in the camp here that says Carolina, Tampa Bay, and I'll even throw in Dallas, Colorado, and Ottawa, have sacrificed unique and creative looks for bland generic designs.

Ottawa has disappointed me since the Reebok Edgeification years ago when them, Tampa Bay, and the Penguins all had the exact same template with different colors. Their new logos aren't bad (the profile Senator in this set, as well as the old one, is superior IMO), but they still have that awfully bland template. Their only saving grace there is that they're the only ones still using it (if that can be considered a good thing). They look great in black. In a league with so many red teams, I feel like they'd be better served going back to that. Their fauxback third jerseys are beautiful, IMO, and if they did that full time, I'd think it was a great move.\

Colorado's thirds are really cool, but their primary sweaters are an abomination. Their original ones were great uniforms. I wish they'd go back to that. For what it's worth, perhaps purely for nostalgia purposes, I like the "A" logo, as 90's as it is. The "C" logo makes a good shoulder patch, although the bigfoot logo did well in that regard too.

Dallas hasn't looked right since they abandoned the star-patterned sweaters. Their logos now are better, but bring back the gold we were used to seeing from the "Stars" franchise for almost 50 years. Their current jerseys have pissed me off from the moment they came out. The home setup is green Blackhawks, straight up. One less black hem stripe, that's it. The road set is boring as hell. In terms of "original six dress-up" this is just as egregious as Tampa Bay...

... who look just like the Leafs. They've upgraded from the post-Reebokification for sure, and their logos now are their best ever (though I miss that Florida-and-lightning bolt), but spice those sweaters up a bit. Put some black and silver on there like you used to/still do on your thirds.

Carolina makes me sad as well as others here, because the "storm warning" stripes were unique and a great tie-in to their name. Even when they added the stupid shoulder piping and made the sleeve stripes kinda wonky, they looked better than they do now - an incredibly boring red-and-white team. Like I said about Tampa Bay, at least give us some black and silver from your past/thirds.

I have no qualms with Florida, though, like I've seen here. Once they got rid of the weird start-at-collar-and-go-down-the-sides piping that Reebok pushed and went back to red at home (which as ubiquitous as that is in the NHL, they can pull it off pretty well) I liked their set. Always was a sucker for that down-the-shoulder striping. But their current set, once the new shield logo grew on me, I really like. It's definitely unique, not too much like Montreal at all. They just need to get rid of the Florida Flag things on the shoulder (you too with your Canada and Alberta stuff, Calgary). Bring back the hockey stick and palm tree in the sun. As much as a conglomeration of clip art it was, it looked good.

And whoever said that Minnesota should never have gone with that red thing as their home sweater but likes their road one, I agree. Yeah, ideally, they'd go back to the original sweaters, but I can actually live with their set. Even if they look like a bunch of Christmas elves at home. 

oBIgzrL.png

Agree on all points from @maz.

I will say that even though the Florida Panther's new look is a drastic departure from their original brand, I feel like it was really well done overall...even if it does ape some of Montreal's design elements. In the great (and much debated) unofficial old vs. new score card I'd put Florida down as a solid win.

I would make a similar argument for Dallas. Even though the substitution of silver for gold is questionable, I'd say the design is solid overall. I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow the ins and outs of jerseys nearly as closely as some on the boards...but given what the Stars had been wearing previous to the re-brand, I'd still consider their current set an upgrade. While I enjoyed the star jerseys at the time...I worry that they'd seem painfully dated if they were to make a return right now. Give it another decade and perhaps the pendulum will be swinging the other way...I certainly wouldn't complain.

Tampa Bay falls into the middle of the road for me. I agree that a lighter "Honolulu Blue" or electric blue in combination with black could look really beautiful. In many ways I feel like Tampa Bay is "patient zero" for the current trend of faux-retro hyper-simplicity. Which in turn was a reaction to the abomination that was the Edge rollout (remember the Buffaslug and the seizure inducing mess of a uniform that came with it?) and the muddled mess it made of so many great logos and jerseys (including TB). 

Ottawa has definitely suffered a series of downgrades, but I'd argue that they've never really looked particularly good (even their original look had some glaring issues IMHO) and have simply stumbled from one bad look to another. I know its highly debated here, but I do believe that their pseudo-retro thirds represent a glimmer of hope. Yes, they aren't historically accurate, and no the team isn't *technically* the same franchise as the original Senators, but it's a good look and effectively ties together the past and the present. I'd gladly move them into the "win" column if they opted to make the =O= set their full time look. 

I've talked at length about Colorado, so I'll be brief. I think they're a rare example of a team that came really close to perfection right out of the gate. The fact that they won the Stanley Cup in their first year certainly helped. Unfortunately in the years that have followed Colorado has made downgrade after downgrade. Rather than refining their look they opted to let things stagnate. If the rumors are true and their third jersey is to become the basis for their new regular jerseys then it looks like they've just given up entirely and have decided to use someone else's branding rather than try and continue cultivating their own.

For as much as I bemoan Colorado I think (to date) Carolina is the biggest loser in the most recent crop of redesigns. I think it's fair to say the original Carolina uniforms were a contemporary classic. They were unique without being garish or dated, and they managed to expand upon the "brand narrative". To have that replaced by designs that are so poorly conceived and executed, and without any clear rhyme or reason...its both confounding and tragic. Hopefully the team will have an opportunity to rectify this error under new ownership who will keep the team in Raleigh for generations to come (a guy can hope).

Honorable Mention: 

One rebrand that seems to be conspicuously missing in all of these discussions is the Nashville Predators. While not as drastic as some of the changes mentioned above, I feel like the Predators did an excellent job of refining their look while still maintaining the core equity of their original design. What's more, the integration of the musical elements into the jersey and alternate logo also speaks to a continuing evolution of the brand. Ironically, the fact that Nashville seems to go unmentioned as much as it does speaks to just how successful the change was. The changes were so natural that it feels like a continuation rather than an extreme break.

28 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

One rebrand that seems to be conspicuously missing in all of these discussions is the Nashville Predators. While not as drastic as some of the changes mentioned above, I feel like the Predators did an excellent job of refining their look while still maintaining the core equity of their original design. What's more, the integration of the musical elements into the jersey and alternate logo also speaks to a continuing evolution of the brand. Ironically, the fact that Nashville seems to go unmentioned as much as it does speaks to just how successful the change was. The changes were so natural that it feels like a continuation rather than an extreme break.

Nashville has easily had the best rebrand in the past 7-10 years. They kept all the core elements of their original look but cleaned it up and have a unique color that they really own now. Dallas came close to doing the same had their template been less generic. 

Nashville has easily had the best rebrand in the past 7-10 years. They kept all the core elements of their original look but cleaned it up and have a unique color that they really own now. Dallas came close to doing the same had their template been less generic. 

Definitely. I used to trash the Predators' look, and until this redesign I considered them among the, if not the, ugliest team in the league. This redesign, like you guys said, shot them right up to being one of the best while keeping the basic elements largely the same. And it was done so well that nobody even seemed to notice. Sometimes, I think, that's the mark of a good design. I think that even here, people are more inclined to be vocal when they disagree and silently enjoy things they like, at least when it comes to uniforms.

oBIgzrL.png

I hope that if the Sens change to the =O= full time, that their primary logo becomes the the shoulder patch from the current set and not just the plain O by itself. The former could work as the main logo on hats, shirts etc, but the O by itself is painfully boring. The Sens are in a really weird position with their identity with being caught between two different looks (1920s redux vs centurion) and I'm not sure there's really a clear cut obvious path for them.

One interesting thing they could do is use the O as the base for the logo with a Parliament silhouette inside the O to add some imagery to their logo. Doing something like that however might compromise the vintage look of the heritage set. 

I personally recommend whatever direction the Sens go in that they also move to a black home jersey, as the =O= third already looks great and the Centurion pops more on a black or white background that it does on red. I think my ideal looks for them would be as follows:

1a. Updated 2D Centurion logo on altered Heritage jersey template. Lose the chest stripes so the Centurion stands out more and add stripes to the arms to create a barber pole halfway up. Use plain white instead of cream.

1b. Current Heritage jersey with matching white away. No cream. =O= as the primary logo (use the stripes!)

2. Red home jersey iterations of either 1a or 1b.

3. Continued use of 3D sen logo with plain home/away templates. Just don't do this anymore, please.

1 hour ago, Prince Harry said:

I hope that if the Sens change to the =O= full time, that their primary logo becomes the the shoulder patch from the current set and not just the plain O by itself. The former could work as the main logo on hats, shirts etc, but the O by itself is painfully boring. The Sens are in a really weird position with their identity with being caught between two different looks (1920s redux vs centurion) and I'm not sure there's really a clear cut obvious path for them.

One interesting thing they could do is use the O as the base for the logo with a Parliament silhouette inside the O to add some imagery to their logo. Doing something like that however might compromise the vintage look of the heritage set. 

I personally recommend whatever direction the Sens go in that they also move to a black home jersey, as the =O= third already looks great and the Centurion pops more on a black or white background that it does on red. I think my ideal looks for them would be as follows:

1a. Updated 2D Centurion logo on altered Heritage jersey template. Lose the chest stripes so the Centurion stands out more and add stripes to the arms to create a barber pole halfway up. Use plain white instead of cream.

1b. Current Heritage jersey with matching white away. No cream. =O= as the primary logo (use the stripes!)

2. Red home jersey iterations of either 1a or 1b.

3. Continued use of 3D sen logo with plain home/away templates. Just don't do this anymore, please.

DanCapostagno-OTTset.png

I'm assuming you're talking about something like the logo on the third jersey. 

Archived