NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Can we have a thread for news and a thread for commentary?  

It gets annoying checking this thread and its only posters bashing each other...

That doesn't make sense, two places to check?  just wait for some news to break and we'll get back on track.

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

That doesn't make sense, two places to check?  just wait for some news to break and we'll get back on track.

Good luck with that.

It will be another 20 pages of moaning and circle arguments.

19 minutes ago, insert name said:

When are we suppose to get news on the Adidas jerseys?

Apparently there will be a league-wide unveil at the draft or just before the draft (June 23).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Can we have a thread for news and a thread for commentary?  

It gets annoying checking this thread and its only posters bashing each other...

No news means people tend to talk about other things. Board history more than backs up the theory that once we get real news "on topic" discussion will return. 

You know, with how many times the Capitals "W eagle" is used (promotions, tickets, etc.), I'm surprised they haven't upgraded that to primary status. With the Reebok deal coming to an end, this would be the perfect opportunity to make it happen (along with some better uniforms).

The Weagle is a great logo and it sucks that it hasn't got the primary treatment by now, because it might never get there. I always think a great modern logo should emphasize two or more 'elements' of a team's identity (location, nickname or both) and the Weagle does that almost perfectly. 

13 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

You know, with how many times the Capitals "W eagle" is used (promotions, tickets, etc.), I'm surprised they haven't upgraded that to primary status. With the Reebok deal coming to an end, this would be the perfect opportunity to make it happen (along with some better uniforms).

11 hours ago, Prince Harry said:

The Weagle is a great logo and it sucks that it hasn't got the primary treatment by now, because it might never get there. I always think a great modern logo should emphasize two or more 'elements' of a team's identity (location, nickname or both) and the Weagle does that almost perfectly. 

Yes while it is used on pretty much everything, there is zero chance that becomes the primary next year.  

I am still banking on the retro look coming back full time.  MAYBE they use the Weagle in some sort of a weird throwback look.  I have no idea.  

11 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Yes while it is used on pretty much everything, there is zero chance that becomes the primary next year.  

I am still banking on the retro look coming back full time.  MAYBE they use the Weagle in some sort of a weird throwback look.  I have no idea.  

Which is really disappointing. 

If my posting history doesn't make it clear, I'm not a fan of wordmarks being used as logos. Individual letters are fine, but I feel like using text as a logo runs counter to the fundamental purpose of a logo (that being an icon that represents an organization, entity, or idea).

I understand that there's a lot of history and nostalgia tied up in the Captials current brand...but it's a modernization of what was very weak brand. There is so much great iconography associated with Washington DC (I'd argue more than just about any other city) and to forgo all of that in favor of text (and three stars...the only real reference to DC) just frustrates me to no end. 

The Weagle is inspired design...much more so than the primary logo. To abandon it would be one of the more glaring downgrades in the NHL (which is really saying something).

2 hours ago, tohasbo said:

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

Which is really disappointing. 

If my posting history doesn't make it clear, I'm not a fan of wordmarks being used as logos. Individual letters are fine, but I feel like using text as a logo runs counter to the fundamental purpose of a logo (that being an icon that represents an organization, entity, or idea).

I understand that there's a lot of history and nostalgia tied up in the Captials current brand...but it's a modernization of what was very weak brand. There is so much great iconography associated with Washington DC (I'd argue more than just about any other city) and to forgo all of that in favor of text (and three stars...the only real reference to DC) just frustrates me to no end. 

The Weagle is inspired design...much more so than the primary logo. To abandon it would be one of the more glaring downgrades in the NHL (which is really saying something).

Inspired yes but there are more and more fans wearing the original look stuff as of late.  I like the original look far better than what is going on now.  I get that some people do not like text logos but I don't think much can be done.  $$$$ talks, as we all should know.  Originally there was a HUGE rumour about the weagle alone going on a third jersey, which would have been blue.  The weagle was supposed to be on the center of the jersey with no logos on the shoulders.  I have a picture of it somewhere but it will take obvious digging.

23 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Inspired yes but there are more and more fans wearing the original look stuff as of late.  I like the original look far better than what is going on now.  I get that some people do not like text logos but I don't think much can be done.  $$$$ talks, as we all should know.  Originally there was a HUGE rumour about the weagle alone going on a third jersey, which would have been blue.  The weagle was supposed to be on the center of the jersey with no logos on the shoulders.  I have a picture of it somewhere but it will take obvious digging.

That argument that fans vote with their wallets only goes so far though.

Seeing as how there's never been a Weagle jersey its hardly fair to look at the number (and style) of jerseys for sale and make any kind of assessment on the popularity of a hypothetical Weagle jersey. 

I agree with many of the folks on this board that the Capitals retro third jersey is significantly nicer looking than their current primaries...but I think that has everything to do with the current primaries being a hot mess rather than the thirds being particularly good. 

It's like if you offer people a crap sandwich or a burger that you spit on...chances are they're going to choose the spit burger. This doesn't mean that they particularly *like* the spit burger...just that it's an improvement over a crap sandwich. 

Until/unless the Caps make a Weagle jersey available there's no real way to make a fair comparison.

1 hour ago, MiK said:

Nashville wearing the yellow domes tonight

They adopted them full-time this season, regrettably.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

They adopted them full-time this season, regrettably.

After I typed this I thought that might have been the case. Thanks for confirming.

I don't hate them but I don't necessarily like them either. I can't tell if its my TV or not but the yellows seem to be an ever so slightly different shade. Likely the difference between fabric and plastic but its just different enough to bother me.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, MiK said:

After I typed this I thought that might have been the case. Thanks for confirming.

I don't hate them but I don't necessarily like them either. I can't tell if its my TV or not but the yellows seem to be an ever so slightly different shade. Likely the difference between fabric and plastic but its just different enough to bother me.

You're right, the shades of yellow are very slightly off, likely due to the reason you stated. Not enough to be obvious, but when you look long enough you can definitely see it. I don't mind them as they are now too much, but I hope that they can be made to match better in the future. 

spacer.png

Archived