NHL 2017-18

Bmac

Line from an Edmonton newspaper article talking to Ducks GM Bob Murray. Changes coming to the Ducks a season after Adidas comes in?

But how did the Ducks end up with their ‘Paint it Orange’ playoff promotion?

That, it was explained to me, goes back to when Anaheim ditched the Mighty Ducks name and rebranded with a bit of orange in their logo to represent Orange County. The Ducks recently made their third jersey orange and may be headed there with their main jersey not next year but the year after. In the meantime, the theme here is to wear orange in the seats.

“Henry loves the orange,” Murray said of Ducks owner Henry Samueli. “We’re going to go to a new jersey the year after next.”

The writer of the article also doesn't know how division champions are awarded in a rough long sentence, but that's a different story.

Whoever envisioned orange versus orange in Orange County here Wednesday and Friday to start a showdown series for the Pacific Division that could result in another one of those orange division champion banners being raised to the roof in Edmonton?

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers seem to put up a banner for winning the division in the playoffs, not regular season.  They have a Smythe division banner for 91-92, when they finished 3rd in the division during the regular season, but went to the conference finals in the playoffs.  So, he's correct that if the Oilers win, they will probably put up a banner declaring themselves Pacific Division champs.

What would be interesting is if the Rangers beat Ottawa.  Would they put up a Metro Division banner or even consider themselves Metro division champions?

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Line from an Edmonton newspaper article talking to Ducks GM Bob Murray. Changes coming to the Ducks a season after Adidas comes in?

That, it was explained to me, goes back to when Anaheim ditched the Mighty Ducks name and rebranded with a bit of orange in their logo to represent Orange County. The Ducks recently made their third jersey orange and may be headed there with their main jersey not next year but the year after. In the meantime, the theme here is to wear orange in the seats.

“Henry loves the orange,” Murray said of Ducks owner Henry Samueli. “We’re going to go to a new jersey the year after next.”

So let me get this straight. A big, league-wide uniform overhaul, coming next season, and the Ducks are going to a new jersey the year after that? This is either a crazy business decision or, for whatever reason, they're simply sticking with the current design in Adidas's first year. And maybe this is an early sign that other teams are basically doing just that.

"New" orange jersey probably means the Mighty Ducks orange third has been retired. What a waste of the best uniform they ever came up with.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

39 minutes ago, M4One said:

The Oilers seem to put up a banner for winning the division in the playoffs, not regular season.  They have a Smythe division banner for 91-92, when they finished 3rd in the division during the regular season, but went to the conference finals in the playoffs.  So, he's correct that if the Oilers win, they will probably put up a banner declaring themselves Pacific Division champs.

Well that's weird and wrong. I don't know of anybody else, in any sport or level for that matter, who does that.

8 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

So let me get this straight. A big, league-wide uniform overhaul, coming next season, and the Ducks are going to a new jersey the year after that? This is either a crazy business decision or, for whatever reason, they're simply sticking with the current design in Adidas's first year. And maybe this is an early sign that other teams are basically doing just that.

"New" orange jersey probably means the Mighty Ducks orange third has been retired. What a waste of the best uniform they ever came up with.

Maybe it's some sort of trial run. Have Adidas iron out the kinks during season one and come in with the new jerseys for season two.

IbjBaeE.png

20 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Well, they did change their entire look and switched to black/gold a year before the edge roll out, so I guess they like to do things a little different.  The only thing I can think of is that they were too late deciding to make the change for next season.

14 hours ago, M4One said:

What would be interesting is if the Rangers beat Ottawa.  Would they put up a Metro Division banner or even consider themselves Metro division champions?

Atlantic Division, you mean. Based on the format and having beaten Montreal and Ottawa, they'd for all intents and purposes have won the postseason Atlantic Division, without actually being in it.  The winner of Pittsburgh/Washington would be the Metro playoff champ. 

19 hours ago, M4One said:

4 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Atlantic Division, you mean. Based on the format and having beaten Montreal and Ottawa, they'd for all intents and purposes have won the postseason Atlantic Division, without actually being in it.  The winner of Pittsburgh/Washington would be the Metro playoff champ. 

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I don't think "playoff division champ" is a thing nor should be a thing.

Division champ is the team in the division with the most points at the end of the season.

That is the dumbest thing to do if you don't win your division.  Plus I think Pittsburgh got rid of that banner when they moved over to the new arena.  That Edmonton one is ridiculous as well.

Yet again I don't really think raising a division champions banner is all that great to begin with.  It should be left to two things.  A Stanely Cup champions banner and/or a Eastern/Western Conference champions banner.  I seriously wish the Capitals would get rid of the President's trophy banner.  I see it much like those God-awful Mystics "Attendance Champions" banners.  But that is my opinion...

48 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Yet again I don't really think raising a division champions banner is all that great to begin with.  It should be left to two things.  A Stanely Cup champions banner and/or a Eastern/Western Conference champions banner.  I seriously wish the Capitals would get rid of the President's trophy banner.  I see it much like those God-awful Mystics "Attendance Champions" banners.  But that is my opinion...

I'd actually prefer just a Stanley Cup championship banner, but I can live with a conference championship. The rest are silly. Don't even get me started on that stupid Bon Jovi banner in the ACC.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

That is the dumbest thing to do if you don't win your division.  Plus I think Pittsburgh got rid of that banner when they moved over to the new arena.  That Edmonton one is ridiculous as well.

18 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I'd actually prefer just a Stanley Cup championship banner, but I can live with a conference championship. The rest are silly. Don't even get me started on that stupid Bon Jovi banner in the ACC.

Just as stupid as the Jay-Z and B.I.G. banner in Brooklyn and those stupid Billy Joel banners in Spectrum II (not calling whatever the hell they want to call it now).

21 hours ago, M4One said:

The Oilers seem to put up a banner for winning the division in the playoffs, not regular season.  They have a Smythe division banner for 91-92, when they finished 3rd in the division during the regular season, but went to the conference finals in the playoffs.

18 hours ago, Danny said:

The Flames (1985-86) and Penguins (1991-92) also did it. New Jersey has a "Patrick Division Playoff Champions" banner for 1987-88 too.

The thing about those old "playoff division champions" banners is that they're from the era where the league's playoffs were completely divisional; the first round was actually the "Division Semi-Finals" and the 2nd round the "Division Finals", so having a Division Champions banner for winning the 2nd round, in the same vein as the Conference Champions banners, actually made sense. It doesn't really work nowadays, since the playoffs are only mostly divisional - the wildcards kinda throw everything off - but it actually did make sense at the time.

It really was a bigger thing back in the 80's/early 90's when you had to "win your division" in the playoffs before playing the other playoff division winner in your conference for the right to play the team that won the other conference in the Finals. 

In those days the ECF was always a guaranteed Patrick vs Adams matchup, with the WCF always being Norris vs. Smythe. During those matchups the teams would always be referred to as the "winners" of their particular division even if they didnt win it in the regular season.

At one point the Islanders had a "1993 Patrick Division Playoff Champion" banner after they took out Washington and Pittsburgh that year, even though Pittsburgh won the division going away in the regular season. I don't know if they still do.  I believe that was the final year of that playoff format. 

7 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Whoops.  I guess I was thinking about the old Atlantic division.  They should just go back to the conference system, anyways.  Much fairer.  

On 4/26/2017 at 1:03 AM, monkeypower said:

Maybe it's some sort of trial run. Have Adidas iron out the kinks during season one and come in with the new jerseys for season two.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:19 AM, M4One said:

Well, they did change their entire look and switched to black/gold a year before the edge roll out, so I guess they like to do things a little different.  The only thing I can think of is that they were too late deciding to make the change for next season.

We've seen this switchover coming for a while already, so I'd find that hard to believe.

At this point, I can only guess that it's just going to be a manufacturer logo change. Reebok Edge to Adidas Edge.

EDIT: And I guess Fanatics Edge for the replica jerseys, which may be what's necessitating the no thirds for 2017-18.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

On 4/25/2017 at 7:54 PM, wildwing64 said:

I'm with you WildWing. Makes no friggin' sesne to do it this way. You're literally taking money out of your pocket, too, so it seems clueless on many levels.

THIS is the season to revamp, people. That means Calgary, Colorado, Ottawa, etc., this is your time. Why wait til 2018? Seems like a lost opportunity, or it's possible this leads to the NEXT round of mismatched identities in the NHL. 

Archived