NHL 2017-18

Bmac

9 minutes ago, PGH412 said:

Would be cool to go back to white at home, darks on the road. But hey, either way im happy 

I agree; I think the rationale for dark at home* is so home fans can see the alternates.

*I know dark at home was the norm back in the day (I don't know exactly when "the day" was) but it had been white at home and I've always inferred from discussion here that the change was made because of alts.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1955-1970 was dark at home, 1970-2003 was white at home, pre-1955 seems to be kind of a mess.

Color on color is an idea that seems good but gradually falls apart. Do you want every skater on the ice wearing a black helmet or a blue helmet? Do you want half of them to wear mismatching white helmets and look like schmucks?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

35 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I agree; I think the rationale for dark at home* is so home fans can see the alternates.

It's also a logistics issue. If a team has a white home jersey and a dark alternate (which is the case most of the time) then every team has to pack both their road dark and home white jerseys for every road trip.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

It is. I've always had a tough time finding a distinguishable 'N'. I know it's right half is worked into the J, but I think 2 separate letters might've worked better. 

I completely agree.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

It's also a logistics issue. If a team has a white home jersey and a dark alternate (which is the case most of the time) then every team has to pack both their road dark and home white jerseys for every road trip.

Yeah, I knew that too and did not feel like expanding.  So if the Jets wanted to wear their whites at home and then the Wild wanted to wear alts, some poor team would have to travel with whites and darks.  And that's a lot easier in basketball or even baseball than it is for hockey.  It makes sense, even if I wish it did not have to be that way.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think their logo is certainly a hockey icon, but from a purely visual standpoint... it's a mess. The proportions and balance are really not great, and the execution of the forms is pretty clumsy.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

It is. I've always had a tough time finding a distinguishable 'N'. I know it's right half is worked into the J, but I think 2 separate letters might've worked better. 

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I completely agree.

I disagree. We know what the Devils' logo would look like if the N and J were separate. And it doesn't look great...

Speaking for myself? I've never had any issue distinguishing the N from the J, or the J from the devil horns and tail. To me? It's one of the rare logos you can call a legitimate modern classic. It's not an Original Six mark, but it looks like it could easily belong.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I disagree. We know what the Devils' logo would look like if the N and J were separate. And it doesn't look great...

Speaking for myself? I've never had any issue distinguishing the N from the J, or the J from the devil horns and tail. To me? It's one of the rare logos you can call a legitimate modern classic. It's not an Original Six mark, but it looks like it could easily belong.

I agree it's a modern classic. I think it's been around so long and was the logo of essentially a dynasty from mid 90s to mid 2000s and hoisted 3 Cups, that no one really nitpicks. But- IMO the execution is off, as it is with the example you posted. Somewhere in between would be ideal. 

sig.png

I have faith that the Devils don't change the logo; they understand how good it is. I hope they simply go to vintage striping with current colors, but going full throwback works too. What I'm most upset about is Washington going retro- major downgrade IMO. I think my biggest question is about the template Adidas will use. We saw the possible practice jersey leak, and that template was IDENTICAL to the one used for the WCH. Like Edmonton for example, will Adidas just crap out and use plain blue squared off shoulder yokes, or will they get custom yokes? Or will we see the same template, but with different yokes? (wouldn't mind seeing new yoke designs brought to the table, like when Dallas redesigned their's). And what about the collars? No more laces? Or does Adidas simply 'upgrade' Reebok's work and use similar templates, yokes, and collars with a square/block hem? 

13 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I will murder someone if the Canucks use the Johnny Canuck V head logo as a primary next season.

nooo that's their best logo in the set! Johnny Canuck V on the front, heretofore-unused interlocking VC on the shoulders.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

37 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

I have faith that the Devils don't change the logo; they understand how good it is. I hope they simply go to vintage striping with current colors, but going full throwback works too. What I'm most upset about is Washington going retro- major downgrade IMO. I think my biggest question is about the template Adidas will use. We saw the possible practice jersey leak, and that template was IDENTICAL to the one used for the WCH. Like Edmonton for example, will Adidas just crap out and use plain blue squared off shoulder yokes, or will they get custom yokes? Or will we see the same template, but with different yokes? (wouldn't mind seeing new yoke designs brought to the table, like when Dallas redesigned their's). And what about the collars? No more laces? Or does Adidas simply 'upgrade' Reebok's work and use similar templates, yokes, and collars with a square/block hem? 

I hope we get a little bit of everything. I don't want to see the NHL become a cookie-cutter league.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

I will murder someone if the Canucks use the Johnny Canuck V head logo as a primary next season.

The West Coast Express jerseys are the best they've ever looked. If they won't go all the way back to that, put the updated stick-in-rink on the shoulders and switch to the blue and green color scheme and they're all set.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, CRichardson said:

The West Coast Express jerseys are the best they've ever looked. If they won't go all the way back to that, put the updated stick-in-rink on the shoulders and switch to the blue and green color scheme and they're all set.

What are the WCE jerseys exactly? Sorry I'm not familiar with that lingo..

I think the best the Canucks have looked is the white 40th anniversary jersey back in 2011. Mint. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The junior A team in Kanata was formerly known as the Stallions (they are the Lasers now), and they used a black, red, and green colour scheme. I always thought that if they Devils were going to introduce a black alternate, that they should incorporate some green into the mix as a nod to the previous uniforms, and something like the uniform below is what I had in mind (minus the phantom yoke).

_X7Z1154

With that being said, they shouldn't touch the primary logo or uniforms. If the change is drastic, we'll likely see them pull a Penguins and eventually go back to the set they won their first Cups in.

I'm hopeful that the Sens will listen to the majority of their fans, and go to the heritage unis full time (there's been a pretty strong amount of Twitter activity pushing them to do so), but I realize that it's probably wishful thinking. It will most likely end up being a slightly different red home jersey with the same logo they have now, and a matching white. Even if it's not what I want, I'll be happy to see the current Edge-templated messes gone.

As for the Oilers, the orange jersey is a perfect alternate. It supports their primary identity well, and is great in small doses, but should not be worn 41 times a year. This reminds me a lot of the Flyers dropping orange and going with black at home full time.

The Blue Jackets should take this opportunity to swap the primary & shoulder logos on their home and away. The cannon has become one of the most recognized aspects of their brand, and is far too detailed to be on the shoulder. I'd also like to see them stop playing Rangers dress up, and switch to navy breezers.

Archived