NHL 2017-18

Bmac

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I'd love the Ducks to go to that full time but I don't think they will. They won't even wear their orange uniform in the playoffs in spite of the #PaintItOrange postseason slogan. Though, owner Henry Samueli reportedly loves the orange jersey so I wonder how much that's down to the Ducks' own apparent unwillingness to promote it or some restriction the NHL is imposing.

Isn't the latest report they go orange full-time in 18-19?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Toronto206 said:

Isn't the latest report they go orange full-time in 18-19?

At this point I'm willing to bet money on the Adidas switcheroo being nothing more than a rebrand of Reebok Edge. It hasn't really been that long since the Ducks switched to the current set but I don't know why else they'd wait a full season after Adidas takes over to change up their uniforms.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

At this point I'm willing to bet money on the Adidas switcheroo being nothing more than a rebrand of Reebok Edge. It hasn't really been that long since the Ducks switched to the current set but I don't know why else they'd wait a full season after Adidas takes over to change up their uniforms.

At least a few teams were smart and took this opportunity.

15 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Same with the Panthers and the Stars.

If anyone ever looked at almost every new jersey released in the past two or three years (The Ducks and Avs thirds, the Hurricanes, Panthers and Maple Leafs sets, the 2016 and 2017 Winter/Centennial Classic and Stadium Series jerseys, and compare them to the actual Adidas template from the World Cup of Hockey jerseys, the cuts and seams appear to be very similar (Square shoulders that are flush with the entire sleeve, underarm gussets that don't stretch down to the bottom of the jersey.)  

The Hurricanes, Panthers and Leafs I don't expect there to be any changes at all (except for the Adidas logo in place of the Reebok logo under the rear collar obviously and maybe even a different cut of collar altogether). The Rangers, Devils, Bruins and Blues could easily adapt their shoulders to the square flush style with little alterations. And obviously it wouldn't be difficult for Adidas to produce jerseys that have the extended should panels (like is prominent on the Canadiens Red Wings and Sabres white jerseys and all Oilers jerseys.

We may be disappointed come Draft Day to see there aren't that many changes at all.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

34 minutes ago, Roger Clemente said:

(Square shoulders that are flush with the entire sleeve, underarm gussets that don't stretch down to the bottom of the jersey.) 

The same thing with the shoulders for the Flyers and Kings alternates they just had. They had the same template but the shoulders were rounded instead of square. I think that most templates that already exist will easily transfer over to the new template. The Habs WC from last season was this new template so no reason why they just can't carry their current design over to the new template.

I feel like we get caught thinking that based on what we've seen that's going to be the only option. Same happened with the Edge jersey when they first used the wackiest one for the all star game the season before the change. Every concept was based on that singular template. Turned out no one used it. 

So so far we've seen just the World Cup and leaked practice jerseys and every adidas or prediction concept uses that. I'm sure there will still be the normal rounded shoulder yokes for the classic designs that like Montreal or Boston or Detroit that require them. 

Im sure there will be new ones too.  But we get caught up thinking "they can't make this design" when obviously they could if they want to. 

On 5/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, wildwing64 said:

It hasn't really been that long since the Ducks switched to the current set but I don't know why else they'd wait a full season after Adidas takes over to change up their uniforms.

I guarantee it's because the alternate was simply meant to be an alternate to appease the fans cries for the Might Ducks logo. Ownership probably didn't care much for it at the time, but have grown on them due to sales and marketability. Why they'd wait a year after the takeover probably has to do with them just recently deciding this.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

7 hours ago, B-mer said:

I feel like we get caught thinking that based on what we've seen that's going to be the only option. Same happened with the Edge jersey when they first used the wackiest one for the all star game the season before the change. Every concept was based on that singular template. Turned out no one used it. 

So so far we've seen just the World Cup and leaked practice jerseys and every adidas or prediction concept uses that. I'm sure there will still be the normal rounded shoulder yokes for the classic designs that like Montreal or Boston or Detroit that require them. 

Im sure there will be new ones too.  But we get caught up thinking "they can't make this design" when obviously they could if they want to. 

Yes. 100%. I remember every concept being that All-Star template.

By my count there are already 5 new templates currently in use based on the renderings at nhluniforms.com. These templates are all characterized by the underarm gussets which go under the arm pit and up to the shoulder.  They don't extend down the side of the jersey.

1: Big shoulders that are squared off on sleeve and extend below nameplate on the back:

-Anaheim 3rd

-Arizona Home and Road

-NYI 3rd

-Toronto St. Pats Throwback

2. Big shoulders in front, squared off on sleeve, More rounded on back and doesn't extend below nameplate. 

-Colorado 3rd

3. Big shoulders in front, squared off on sleeve, straight on back and doesn't extend below nameplate.

-Toronto Home, Road, and Centennial Classic

3. Smaller more "normal" sized shoulders that are squared off

-Boston 3rd

-Detroit Centennial Classic

-Florida Home and Road

-Philadelphia Stadium Series

-Pittsburgh Stadium Series

-Saint Louis Winter Classic

4. Traditional rounded shoulders

-L.A. 50th

-Philadelphia 50th

5. Sleeve panels that run down the length of the sleeve

-All-Star Game (yes, these were truncated for the design, but could be easily extended down to the cuff)

To go along with that, there are also several different collars styles. 2 row lace up, 3 row lace up, crew neck, Edge-style V shape, Pittsburgh's Stadium Series triangle in front of the collar in front look, NYI's toilet seat cover (I think this is different that Pittsburgh's).

The only jerseys that I think would be difficult to exactly reproduce in this style would be Anaheim's home and road (the gussets get in the way of the triangular color panel up the sides, Colorado home and road (side panels and apron strings no longer relevant), Nashville home and road (just the apron strings), Ottawa (click-n-fill template outdated now), Washington (side panels, unless they don't go all the way up to allow for gussets).

52 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I guarantee it's because the alternate was simply meant to be an alternate to appease the fans cries for the Might Ducks logo. Ownership probably didn't care much for it at the time, but have grown on them due to sales and marketability. Why they'd wait a year after the takeover probably has to do with them just recently deciding this.

You missed out the first point of my post you quoted. I suspected that the leaguewide Adidas switchover could end up being a simple rebrand of Reebok Edge to Adidas... Edgier. Or Edgelord. Or Sharp. Adidas Sharp. Or whatever they end up calling it. Based on that, the only reason I can think of for the Ducks not switching as soon as this is so they can get another year out of the current set which is presumably going to be completely identical in its Adidas form.

What was reported was that they'll be going to a new uniform year after next. It's been hinted that it'll be orange. Does this mean the third will become the new primary sweater in a couple years time? Probably not, much to my dismay.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

What is the reason why the NHL disbands alternates when they switch jersey manufacturers? Did the other leagues do it? I don't think they did. 82 games is too many for white vs color (imo) or to be stuck with a head scratcher (Edmonton in orange).

KISSwall09.jpg

I don't think much of the Ducks' orange retro jersey. I don't think it looks that good. I'm happy they're using the black home and the white away is one of my favourties. Not sure why, but it is - looks very crisp.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:58 PM, hormone said:

What is the reason why the NHL disbands alternates when they switch jersey manufacturers? Did the other leagues do it? I don't think they did. 82 games is too many for white vs color (imo) or to be stuck with a head scratcher (Edmonton in orange).

2017: Teams all release new jerseys. A lot of fans buy new jerseys.

2018: Teams release new alternate jerseys. A lot of the same fans above buy another new jersey.

If you release all three at once, most people will buy one of them. If you wait a year to unveil the third, you'll get a higher number of people buying two.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 hours ago, insert name said:

I like the tie-down collar but I'd like to see them to serve a purpose besides being for show.

I like tie down collars when I'm playing. It's a looser fit and it isn't as snug through the shoulders of the jersey. That's just what I've noticed at least. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

3 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

why are hockey jerseys so loose? Football jerseys are tight to prevent grabbing, I'd think hockey would want to be similar. 

You don't grab on to anything in hockey. A looser jersey creates greater range of movement.

The looser fit is what most players find more comfortable, I guess. Reebok's original plans for the Edge overhaul involved making jerseys much tighter and tucked-in; that's why so many teams ditched hem stripes. The final Edge 1.0/7187 product was slimmer-fitting; but when the jersey got modified for Edge 2.0/7287 after numerous player complaints, the body was made looser and the sleeves wider.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived