NHL 2017-18

Bmac

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Twill is a fabric, my friend. :-) More specifically, it's a specific type of weave used to construct a fabric, but generally speaking...

Yes, I'm not quite sure how that came out that way! I was trying to say that the numbers were not done in the jersey fabric. Key word to omit...

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bayne said:

What are the WCE jerseys exactly? Sorry I'm not familiar with that lingo..

The West Coast Express was the Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi line. The jerseys they wore up to the Edge switch are the best the Canucks have ever looked.

naslundbertuzzimorrison.jpgcanucks-westcoastexpress.jpg.size.xxlarg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

i actually totally agree that those are the best canucks jerseys ever.

they've got a real solid plaid-lumberjack-flannel feel to them, too. that scheme, with a solid johnny logo, would be ideal.

maybe it's because of my age, but the canucks still don't feel like a blue and green team to me. they were germany when i was growing up, then navy, maroon, blue, and silver for my teen years. green and blue still doesn't work for me.

Oh, I know the WCE lol, I just didn't realise they were directly associated with that jersey era. 

I think those jerseys were nice, even though in hindsight those colours look very 90's. I prefer the crisp, cleaner blue and green and white personally.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

21 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

^ I was hoping for Polar Lights. I remember when they announced Wild. I groaned so loud my brother came running downstairs thinking I was having a heart attack. Every time I hear the name Wild even to this day I still groan really really loud. The other day my neighbor was knocking on my door to see if I was OK after she heard "loud unhuman-like groaning" coming from my home.

Its funny you would think that after a decade and a half I would be use to that stupid name by now but NO!

It was Northern Lights.  Polars, I believe, was an option too.  

"Pre-submit" edit, I guess it was "White Bears."  Polars would have been better

http://espn991.com/what-were-the-other-nickname-entries-for-the-nhl-in-minnesota/

I was not living in Minnesota at the time and was not following it.  My dad, new to email and not patient at the keyboard, sent me an email that said "hockey team name wild."  I thought that was commentary rooted in the assumption that I'd already heard the news of some "wild" name.  It never occured to me that "Wild" could be the name.  So when I figured it out it was "Wild" I was dumbfounded.  

As I said, I was not following it, but in hindsight, I like Voyageurs best.  Northern Lights is servicable.  White Bears and Blue Ox are both kinda bad but not "Wild" bad.  Freeze is a 2 out of 100 compared to Wild being 1 out of 100 because, while awful and cheesy, it's at least immediately understandable.

Given the outrageously good job that was done with the branding, I'll say that this most likely beats the outcome that would have happened with "Freeze."  But I'd easily take any of the others over Wild.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, Tyler Crowder said:

I really hope Calgary uses this opportunity to go back to the throwback look full time. Just keep it simple

Pass. The Flames look infinitely better with black as part of the color scheme. Red, yellow and white is too bright and the colors bleed into each other.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 hours ago, CRichardson said:

Pass. The Flames look infinitely better with black as part of the color scheme. Red, yellow and white is too bright and the colors bleed into each other.

6 hours ago, insert name said:

I think the Calgary Flames throwback uniforms are a bit too bright. Black would help balance everything. 

I would like to see them do something like this...  Best of both worlds.  Plus it retains that great shoulder patch from the recently retired alternate.

PZa5kt1.png

On 1/10/2017 at 11:57 AM, CreamSoda said:

Oh god...

Those are all FAR FAR FAR WORSE than the Wild's current logo and uniform.  Not even close.

True, but there's no reason to believe any of those actually would have happened.  These were probably just thrown together way after the fact.  I don't think full packages were put together for six or seven different names.  If so, the designers really nailed one and blew the rest.

I'd take my chances with any of the other names (except maybe Freeze) if I could go back in time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, CRichardson said:

The Chiefs do it well in football.

But no black anywhere else (though, they don't really use that much gold to begin with).

I just don't like how the Flames are a red and black team (with the small accent of gold). Red and gold can absolutely work as a color scheme without being too hard on the eyes. I don't think the throwbacks are that bright IMO, but if they are to some then I can always look for compensation. The concept Morgo posted pretty much tells me that using black as a supporting color can help with the apparent issue of brightness.

And honestly, I just really don't like the "shadow flame" logo. It needs to be primarily red (and white, when paired with the red jerseys) only.

32 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The Chiefs do it well in football.

And it works well for the Chiefs because there's a better colour balance in the uniform. Red and white are the dominant colours with yellow being an accent. With the Flames throwbacks, yellow is equally if not more prominent than the white striping. By comparison, it's a lot more obnoxious.

I dunno, the Flames are a weird one for me. I like the addition of black in the red uniform as it creates a stronger balance of colour and is visually pleasing. And yet, I hate its application on the white jersey where it sorta feels forced in and yet is a necessary addition because consistency and branding. A part of me likes the throwbacks, and yet I also think they're a bit much. I have no idea what to do with this team.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Flames should adopt the color scheme of the Redskins uniforms. Deep red with a vibrant yellow.

No black needed. I made a concept like that years ago and I really thought it looked fantastic. I'll try to dig it up next time I'm on a PC.

Archived