Bmac

NHL 2017-18

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

While I totally understand that black, red, and grey aren't "Buffalo Sabres" colors, can we take a minute to appreciate just how awesome the jersey was?

 

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that the jersey striping creates a stylized buffalo head (most notably on the home/white jersey) makes it one of the most clever designs in sports history.

 

buffalo-head.jpg.84ebec09497bfc2328e44ba5de55c67a.jpg

 

I think your seeing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

While I totally understand that black, red, and grey aren't "Buffalo Sabres" colors, can we take a minute to appreciate just how awesome the jersey was?

 

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that the jersey striping creates a stylized buffalo head (most notably on the home/white jersey) makes it one of the most clever designs in sports history.

 

buffalo-head.jpg.84ebec09497bfc2328e44ba5de55c67a.jpg

 

I'm not saying it's not there...but if that was something they were going for...they probably should have put the entire design on the torso.

 

Luckily hockey is a sport where players have to hold their arms out all the time, just like in the graphics that showcase the design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

The Sabres' best logo came out of that period.

 

35.png

 

This logo in royal/yellow (with some simplified detailing) was the perfect primary crest for the team. Just because they're a Buffalo team doesn't mean they have to have a buffalo in their logo. Pair it with an updated B-sword, and you've got fantastic set.

Not enough "there" there to be a primary logo. If you're going to drop the buffalo, I think you need something more exciting behind the swords than a giant, blank circle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2017 at 2:07 PM, tohasbo said:

I'd want the 1997-1998 Capitals jersey (either the blue or white) as a nod to the 20th anniversary season of the Eastern Conference champions run. 

Toronto with the Toronto Arenas jersey.  We may not see any of that announced until August or September to be honest.

The thing is, it's a Stadium Series game, not a Winter/Centennial Classic. It's almost guaranteed to be some sort of new design, not throwbacks or anything throwback-inspired. 

 

With that being said, pretty sure the Leafs will still be breaking out the Arenas throwbacks as they celebrate their centennial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not saying it's not there...but if that was something they were going for...they probably should have put the entire design on the torso.

 

Luckily hockey is a sport where players have to hold their arms out all the time, just like in the graphics that showcase the design.

 

I dunno...seems like a pretty common gesture after scoring a goal. Instead of victory stripes they're just showing their horns.

 

I'll be the first to admit that its subtle...but it is most definitely intentional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hockey week said:

the biggest legacy of the goathead has to be that every youth team on the east coast used that template at one time or another. You could play a full schedule of seeing the same template over and over and over.

 

LOL. You are so right about this. What the Denver Broncos template was to youth and high school football a the time so was the Sabres template to the youth and amateur hockey. 

 

It really was everywhere and in every possible color scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

But they should not have been a replacement for a club that had 20+ years of history with the old logo and the royal blue and gold.

 

This argument would be solid if they had won a championship during this period or had a compelling identity to start with.  Sure the logo spelled out "Buffalo Sabres" but that's about the only thing the so called classic identity had going for it.  Besides the uniforms being nothing more than a quick Maple Leafs recolor, the logo is just so poorly rendered and it boggles my mind that the team thought outlining everything in silver was the solution.  Especially when John Slabyk created a handful logos that trump the the original in every way. 

 

c0yCrtz.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The thing is, it's a Stadium Series game, not a Winter/Centennial Classic. It's almost guaranteed to be some sort of new design, not throwbacks or anything throwback-inspired. 

 

With that being said, pretty sure the Leafs will still be breaking out the Arenas throwbacks as they celebrate their centennial.

There's no way they have Reebok make that just for a fake leak. Probably gonna be the third jersey in a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morgo said:

 

This argument would be solid if they had won a championship during this period or had a compelling identity to start with.  Sure the logo spelled out "Buffalo Sabres" but that's about the only thing the so called classic identity had going for it.  Besides the uniforms being nothing more than a quick Maple Leafs recolor, the logo is just so poorly rendered and it boggles my mind that the team thought outlining everything in silver was the solution.  Especially when John Slabyk created a handful logos that trump the the original in every way. 

 

c0yCrtz.jpg

 

 

That is a nice logo and I'd prefer it to the current logo, and I never understood the hate for the Goathead, but black and red was just never theirs and never felt right for them. I'll take blue and yellow with the original flawed logo every day if it means we have one fewer red and black team in the NHL. 

 

Also the Maple Leafs stopped using that template the year Buffalo entered the league so to me it was free game and with the two cities being so close it's kind of a fun tip of the hat from Buffalo to Toronto. 
 

I don't think you need to have won a championship for a look to create a lasting impact. Ask Charlotte Hornets fans about that. The buffalo fans voiced their opinion on what they preferred, which is why they went back to the original logo and colors (sort of, more or less, with a brief ill-advised detour through the Buffalsug saga, but that's another thread.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it's a 99 bias, but black and red sabres FEEL like dangerous evil enemies. Blue and yellow sabres feel like lovable losers.

 

Both are a decent way to go. Which would you prefer your team was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

I'm sure it's a 99 bias, but black and red sabres FEEL like dangerous evil enemies. Blue and yellow sabres feel like lovable losers.

 

Both are a decent way to go. Which would you prefer your team was?

 

I might listen to that argument if a new expansion team called the Buffalo Sabres were starting now.  But I tend to agree that the blue and yellow defined them and the black/red/silver felt like a prolonged case of borrowing some other team's uniforms.

 

I also hate the goat head and feel that animal heads are over-used.  The original logo is great, though many of the concepts with larger swords would have worked too.  Even if the Sabres were still wearing those black uniforms, it would still feel wrong.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-05-31 at 5:29 PM, SFGiants58 said:

 

The Sabres' best logo came out of that period.

 

35.png

 

This logo in royal/yellow (with some simplified detailing) was the perfect primary crest for the team. Just because they're a Buffalo team doesn't mean they have to have a buffalo in their logo. Pair it with an updated B-sword, and you've got fantastic set.

 

I made a concept a while back with a logo similar to that description...

 

BrianBrideau-BUF.png

 

I think something that incorporates classic elements mixed with sharp modernized ones could be a good direction for the Sabres look. The classic logo is not ugly. But it is a little bit old looking. Depending on what they switch it for, a change may not be a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2017 at 10:14 AM, twi said:

So here's a classic NHL head shaker...the orders for 2018 Winter Classic apparel was due last week for retailers , yet not a single picture existed in the virtual catalog of the items. You're literally ordering blind, just a vague description of the primary color of each item. Jerseys, tees, hats, everything. 

 

Also, no pictures or descriptions exist in our resources of the teams allegedly getting new jerseys. 

 

Probably because everything’s been getting leaked through catalog images for the past 5 years... :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ColeJ said:

I'm sure it's a 99 bias, but black and red sabres FEEL like dangerous evil enemies. Blue and yellow sabres feel like lovable losers.

 

Both are a decent way to go. Which would you prefer your team was?

The problem was that of all the teams to jump on the red and black bandwagon? The Sabres were the most indefensible. 

The Devils? Well red and black, fire, brimstone, and ash. 

The Senators? They were harkening back to the original Sens, who were red and black. 

The Hurricanes? The hurricane warning flag is red and black. The colour choice made sense. 

 

The Sabres though? They were blue and gold for decades and then they went to red and black because it's trendy. It had no real history in the locale, didn't tie into the name, and wasn't honouring a past team. It was purely a marketing decision. 

 

That they were the team to move away from the colour scheme while the rest of the teams that adopted it stuck with it is telling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So have people tried to blend the Sabres' original logo with the alternate swords? I feel like it's so obvious that people have to have done it. Basically put the white buffalo in that empty space up top...but that seems too easy, there might need to be adjustments on sizes and ratios...

 

has anybody done it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something like this, I wouldn't mind the Sabres going to full time.

 

 

sabres logos.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2017 at 2:40 AM, hockey week said:

the biggest legacy of the goathead has to be that every youth team on the east coast used that template at one time or another. You could play a full schedule of seeing the same template over and over and over.

 

My local hockey team on this side of the pond once used that template as well, right down to the exact same colour scheme.

 

EDIT: Also weirdly enough, their local rivals were using the same template at the same time, but in old Sabres blue and gold.

Edited by wildwing64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the Sabres need to do is make the small tweaks that teams like the Leafs (from the mid-60s logo to the current) and the Bruins have done. The concept and the proportions of the original logo are perfect. The face of the buffalo is a little wonky, and it probably wouldn't hurt to lose the Terminator eye. Most concepts seem to be overthinking it. The swords are bigger and jutting out of the circle... why? Could you not see them before? Then the buffalo is still stuck in the circle, and it makes it look like a baby bison next to the giant swords. They're almost 50 years old; it's okay for them to have a more classic look.

 

Of course, I'm a biased fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.