NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, alecgoff said:

Why can't the Canucks release a survey asking their fans which of the many logos and uniforms they prefer?

Fans don't always know what's best for now and especially the future.

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

I still think everyone is missing the boat by ignoring this logo.

Vancouver V jerseys.png

I'd rather the team wear the boring as all bleep "Stick-in-Rink" and the Orca than the Millionaires' V. Sure, it's associated with a pre-"NHL only" Stanley Cup, but it sacrifices anything related to the "Canucks" identity in favor of paying tribute to a team that hasn't existed for nearly a century. At least the Sens' barberpole was kept alive by junior teams, while the Millionaires got condemned to the dustbin of history.

Part of me wishes that the team used the Skatin' Johnny from day one (with abstract and aggressive versions for the 1970's and 1990's redesigns, respectively), or that Orca Bay got their wish and went through with the name change. At least then, we'd have a better answer to their identity crisis.

I don't love Johnny because I'm not big on whimsy.  But I understand why some people do.

What I don't understand is how anyone could like the stick-in-rink.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, OnWis97 said:

I don't love Johnny because I'm not big on whimsy.  But I understand why some people do.

What I don't understand is how anyone could like the stick-in-rink.

I get why people liked the SiR. It's part of an age when the aesthetic conventions of sports design leaned towards depicting equipment over nicknames, and worked with simple curves and color distributions.

What I don't get is why people like the skate. The thing barely looks like a skate, is a messy blob from any considerable distance, and bears a strong resemblance to a 15 year-old's attempt to recreate the cover of Judas Priest's 1982 album Screaming for Vengeance (an album that came out after the redesign, but I think my point stands).

Judas_Priest_SforV.jpg 6514_vancouver_canucks-jersey-1993-590x382.png

Yeah, it's associated with two Stanley Cup runs, but it's so ugly. At least the bland SiR wasn't ugly.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd rather the team wear the boring as all bleep "Stick-in-Rink" and the Orca than the Millionaires' V. Sure, it's associated with a pre-"NHL only" Stanley Cup, but it sacrifices anything related to the "Canucks" identity in favor of paying tribute to a team that hasn't existed for nearly a century. At least the Sens' barberpole was kept alive by junior teams, while the Millionaires got condemned to the dustbin of history.

Part of me wishes that the team used the Skatin' Johnny from day one (with abstract and aggressive versions for the 1970's and 1990's redesigns, respectively), or that Orca Bay got their wish and went through with the name change. At least then, we'd have a better answer to their identity crisis.

I mean, you could always do this, but I don't think it's as effective...

5941ffb29f046_VancouverVlogohome.png.12fd92ea4174cef86cd5fa207838efce.png

Anyway, I simply hate the stick-in-rink and look at all of these classic Canadian logos, and what do they do so well? Letters and words. It's simply, it's classy, and IT WORKS.

124.gif2887612017.gif50.gif6cphie5heyvfwn6lbzfowe61h.gifOttawa Senators (2008 - Pres)

Hockey has bunches of these, but it just seems to be so natural. IT WORKS. It's dull, but so are all of these iconic looks.

And I genuinely think it's less about the old Millionaires and more about doing something newish. Something that isn't actually from the Canucks' history, but looks familiar and successful and is effective. If it also doesn't have major exposure and isn't something that everyone NOT on these boards has an opinion about, that is GOOD.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

40 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I get why people liked the SiR. It's part of an age when the aesthetic conventions of sports design leaned towards depicting equipment over nicknames, and worked with simple curves and color distributions.

What I don't get is why people like the skate. The thing barely looks like a skate, is a messy blob from any considerable distance, and bears a strong resemblance to a 15 year-old's attempt to recreate the cover of Judas Priest's 1982 album Screaming for Vengeance (an album that came out after the redesign, but I think my point stands).

Judas_Priest_SforV.jpg 6514_vancouver_canucks-jersey-1993-590x382.png

Yeah, it's associated with two Stanley Cup runs, but it's so ugly. At least the bland SiR wasn't ugly.

Idk if it's so much the skate but there's something about those colors. Hell even the orca and the stick in rink looks alot better in red, yellow, and black. 

6251305018_8d12a4b2ce_b.jpg

Ryan-VAN.png

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

18 minutes ago, Chico said:

Idk if it's so much the skate but there's something about those colors. Hell even the orca and the stick in rink looks alot better in red, yellow, and black. 

Ryan-VAN.png

It's too close to the Flames, though! And there are so many teams with a variation on the black /yellow or red / black scheme

The Canucks are currently the only team in the league with a blue and green color scheme. Might as well own it. also the stick in rink logo is generic but it has a certain retro charm to it. I think it'd be good as the crest. it reminds me of teams going back to basic retro logos like the Jazz or 76ers. The identities aren't exactly the best you've ever seen, but they are simple and identifiable.

With the teasers of the new Adidas uniforms, I have a feeling that the Adidas-era NHL will not be as good as the Reebok one. I hope I'm wrong on that but one thing that really has pissed me off is that Adidas will not be making the replicas. When I buy a jersey, I want the same brand the players wear, where the jersey has half-decent quality. If I want an Adidas NHL jersey, I will have to fork out hundreds of dollars now. I can't afford it. With the Avs finally getting new uniforms, I hope I can finally change my member title. If they end up being good, I want Chris Creamer to say "Chewbacca, you can finally change your member title!" I'm actually really curious to see what the Knights and the Wild have come up with.

1 hour ago, Chico said:

Ryan-VAN.png

The Orca has got to go!!! I think it's time for Johnny Canuck.

It's too bad the 9 canucks fans can't come together and figure out what jersey they prefer...

mean while other hockey stuff is happening....

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I think just a V could work. A bit like @VancouverFan69's concept above, but without the name. Simple, and no mistaking what it represents. Which is probably for the best with an abstract name like the Canucks.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but with all these different logos their identity is very convoluted. They should just bin everything and start over :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I love discussing the merits of team identity design and analysing all the minutiae. Everyone has opinions and it's fun to compare ideas etc.. but seriously the designs that so many of you come up with are beyond atrocious. I feel like I'm wasting my time with a lot of people on these boards who have no clue about what actually constitutes a legitimately well thought out team brand. I'm not saying I'm an expert at it, but I certainly know when something is knocking on the door or isn't completely misguided.. and everything I've seen regarding the Canucks is far worse than what they currently have. It just is. Argue all you want, I know you will. But give it a rest. Or learn a thing or two about design before showcasing such amateur quality work.

I'll probably get hate for this, but I'm just telling it how I see it. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

26 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I love discussing the merits of team identity design and analysing all the minutiae. Everyone has opinions and it's fun to compare ideas etc.. but seriously the designs that so many of you come up with are beyond atrocious. I feel like I'm wasting my time with a lot of people on these boards who have no clue about what actually constitutes a legitimately well thought out team brand. I'm not saying I'm an expert at it, but I certainly know when something is knocking on the door or isn't completely misguided.. and everything I've seen regarding the Canucks is far worse than what they currently have. It just is. Argue all you want, I know you will. But give it a rest. Or learn a thing or two about design before showcasing such amateur quality work.

I'll probably get hate for this, but I'm just telling it how I see it. 

You don't have to read it. 

Congratulations on liking the Orca. I don't. I like the Blue Jackets flag logo while 80% of our fanbase seems to prefer the cannon logo. I don't get it, but that doesn't mean my opinion is more correct than theirs. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived