Luke_Groundrunner

Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

I was just thinking now that BIG3 has 12 teams they could realistically expand their tour to 3 days per week. Going Friday, Saturday and Sunday with two games each day would be the most likely way to do that. Would allow the tour to visit more cities each season.

Buuuuuuut seeing that news about the ratings being low, maybe I should ease up a bit lol

9 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I was just thinking now that BIG3 has 12 teams they could realistically expand their tour to 3 days per week. Going Friday, Saturday and Sunday with two games each day would be the most likely way to do that. Would allow the tour to visit more cities each season.

Buuuuuuut seeing that news about the ratings being low, maybe I should ease up a bit lol

It is bad for a network telecast, but in terms of the BIG3's history, the number is on par with that they've traditionally done on broadcast TV.

42 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I really do not dig the gimmick that this league and the PLL are using, of having teams not affiliated with cities. While I admire Paul Rabil for having started the PLL, I was a lot more interested in him when he was a member of the New York Lizards.

I'll watch the New York Empire (AUDL) and the New York Streets (NAL) well before any game in those sports featuring other teams, because the Empire and the Streets feel like they are (in a sense that I absolutely cannot rationally justify) mine. I know that teams supposedly representing cities is a stupid psychological ploy. But I admit that it works on me.

And, when I watch other teams, my perception of them as coming from particular cities does indeed influence how I think of them; I can get into Boston versus Atlanta much more easily than Chaos versus Chrome (even if I am emphasising the point by choosing the PLL's very stupidest namrs). 

To not have this city aspect in a league removes something intangible but essential, in my view. I wonder whether this perception is shared by other fans, and whether it accounts for the Big3's low television ratings.

To each their own. I like both BIG3 and PLL having touring models. Not to mention the fans that attend the events really like it despite not having home teams to root for. Who's to say it's a bad idea when they both have loyal fans tuning in to watch and coming out to attend live.

Plus BIG3 is a senior league. Does it really need it's teams limited to just 12 cities? Spread the love, every city deserves to see Cutino Mobley in all his gray haired glory lol.

Early on Wednesday evening, the league sent out a major press release announcing that a number of stars would be deactivated for the remainder of the season. Citing a need to "maximize competition, protect the health of players and raise the level of professionalism," Baron Davis, Bonzi Wells, Lamar Odom and Jermaine O'Neal will all miss the remainder of the season.  In addition, Glen "Big Baby" Davis will face a significant fine for his actions during last weekend's games. 

https://www.cbssports.com/big3/news/big-3-announces-baron-davis-lamar-odom-among-others-deactivated-for-rest-of-season-big-baby-davis-faces-significant/

I’m sitting here watching the Bivouac vs 3 Headed Monsters. This is the first Big 3 game I’ve watched. I don’t know which is worse: the level of play, or the overwhelming apathy in the crowd shots. Oof.

Front Office Sports profiled the Big3 today.

Excerpts:

The BIG3 is drawing crowds of around 10,000 fans per game this season. But well off from its average of 14,000 last season. And still down from averaging 11,500 during its first season in 2017.

The young league also raised eyebrows by “deactivating” ex-NBA stars Baron Davis, Bonzi Wells, Lamar Odom and Jermaine O’Neal for the remainder of this season, while fining Glen “Big Baby” Davis for an on-court tantrum. O’Neal was a special case: He has a heart condition. But the other three were either hurt or not playing. 

The NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL all ruthlessly jettison former stars who can’t bring it any more. If BIG3’s going to survive, it has to take the same bottom line approach, according to Kwatinetz, the league’s chief executive officer. 

“They weren’t contributing. And ultimately this is a professional, competitive league,” he said in an interview with Front Office Sports. “People want to win. The coaches and players of these teams? They want to win.”

(snip)

Kwatinetz thinks ticket sales will rebound. BIG3 attendance tend to accelerate over the course of a season, he said. But making live games more affordable for families is one reason why the league teamed with sponsor Adidas to offer half-priced tickets, and reduced service fees, the rest of this season. 

This year, the league also switched TV partners, moving to CBS/CBS Sports Network from Fox Sports/FS1. 

Over recent weekends, BIG3 games averaged a 0.5 rating on the CBS broadcast network. That’s not great. But close to the 0.7 rating and 1 million viewers it drew for its second championship game in 2018.

The deal with CBS is only for the 2019 season. But Kwatinetz is thrilled to be in business with CBS, America’s most-watched TV network.