Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

Luke_Groundrunner

I'm starting to turn around on the idea of this league. If handled properly, I could see BIG3 being a solid third tier pro basketball league. Clearly the NBA is the top tier of the pro ranks. I'm not familiar with all the international pro ball so I don't know which is leagues are better than others, but for argument sakes let's considered all international leagues to be 2nd tier. Given it's modified/gimmicky rules of play BIG3 is pretty much third tier by default. Sort of like basketball's equivalent to the Arena Football League.

IMO for this league to be successful long term, they'll need to eventually start bringing in younger players. The NBA alums may have name recognition that can put butts in seats (for now), but I have a feeling we may be overestimating these guys abilities at their current stages. I'm hoping for the best as far as that goes, but I think there will be some cringing at the sight of seeing older guys playing past their primes. Especially once fatigue and injury sets in. I'm not saying the entire BIG3 league has to eventually be only young guys, but a balance of NBA alums and young guys would be ideal to me.

I could see BIG3 becoming an appealing option to young American players that want to play pro ball, but don't necessarily want to go overseas to do that. Even if the pay is better overseas, there will be players that would rather tour the US than play in China or Greece. Especially seeing how BIG3 may have more exposure than overseas leagues due to their TV deal with Fox. It will be interesting to see how this it develops. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'm starting to turn around on the idea of this league. If handled properly, I could see BIG3 being a solid third tier pro basketball league. Clearly the NBA is the top tier of the pro ranks. I'm not familiar with all the international pro ball so I don't know which is leagues are better than others, but for argument sakes let's considered all international leagues to be 2nd tier. Given it's modified/gimmicky rules of play BIG3 is pretty much third tier by default. Sort of like basketball's equivalent to the Arena Football League.

IMO for this league to be successful long term, they'll need to eventually start bringing in younger players. The NBA alums may have name recognition that can put butts in seats (for now), but I have a feeling we may be overestimating these guys abilities at their current stages. I'm hoping for the best as far as that goes, but I think there will be some cringing at the sight of seeing older guys playing past their primes. Especially once fatigue and injury sets in. I'm not saying the entire BIG3 league has to eventually be only young guys, but a balance of NBA alums and young guys would be ideal to me.

I could see BIG3 becoming an appealing option to young American players that want to play pro ball, but don't necessarily want to go overseas to do that. Even if the pay is better overseas, there will be players that would rather tour the US than play in China or Greece. Especially seeing how BIG3 may have more exposure than overseas leagues due to their TV deal with Fox. It will be interesting to see how this it develops. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Folks won't pay the $$$ they're charging to watch guys who were never in the NBA. Ice Cube based the concept around All-Star players at or near retirement. Those guys are the reason why it got capital to start.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/features/ice-cube-big-3-basketball-1202461266/

For most of his career, he was content to let his fandom be just that. But then he watched Kobe Bryant’s swansong with the L.A. Lakers in April of 2016, in which the outgoing star scored 60 points to close out his career, and had a revelation: If a player on the cusp of retirement was still capable of a performance like that, how many other NBA stars had retired long before their skills had abandoned them?

From there, Cube began to develop his boldest new venture since he first dipped his toes into film production. Kicking off later this month, Cube’s Big 3 basketball league will hope to find an audience for professional half-court three-on-three basketball, pitting a roster of still-got-it former pros against each other in a touring, televised tournament.

“It came to me thinking as a fan, at first,” Cube says. “What would I pay for, what would I go see? If the greats came to the Staples Center to play, would I pay my money to go see it? Hell yeah.”

Cube quickly recruited his manager Jeff Kwatinetz as a co-creator, and from there, “the idea started to snowball.” The two brought on former Miami Heat star and NBA Players Assn. deputy director Roger Mason Jr. as commissioner (“he helped let the players know that this wasn’t just a bunch of entertainment guys trying to get into sports”) and former Raiders chief executive Amy Trask as CEO (“that was a no-brainer, she’s been a godsend to make this thing a reality”). The league was announced last January, and Fox Sports picked up TV rights in March.

I'm not saying the entire league needs to be made up of young guys. At the same time I for one don't see long term success with what will be viewed as a has-beens league by many if the rosters are made up entirely of veteran players. Let's be honest alumni games are fun for a one time events, but an entire season of alumni games is a tough sell IMO. I'd say 65% vets with 35% young guys would be a good mix down the line.

The first season will definitely determine this league's path going forward though. If we see these older guys struggling left and right in year one, I can guarantee we'll see younger guys coming into the league year two.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Here's the thing, those young guys are going to be nobodies. Those young guys are probably going to be the players that can't make the NBA or are fringe players, and nobody wants to see that.

I don't see a prized recruit declining to play for a university/overseas team just to play in 3 v. 3 basketball league. 

42 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'm not saying the entire league needs to be made up of young guys. At the same time I for one don't see long term success with what will be viewed as a has-beens league by many if the rosters are made up entirely of veteran players. Let's be honest alumni games are fun for a one time events, but an entire season of alumni games is a tough sell IMO. I'd say 65% vets with 35% young guys would be a good mix down the line.

The first season will definitely determine this league's path going forward though. If we see these older guys struggling left and right in year one, I can guarantee we'll see younger guys coming into the league year two.

A 5 man roster with two legends and three dudes ain't gonna sell tickets.

Who plays on this olympic team?  Would NBA players that didn't make the main team feel like it's a big step down?  This whole concept sounds like glorified street ball, and having top-tier NBA players in the olympics might be the only thing that makes it seem legit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Who plays on this olympic team?  Would NBA players that didn't make the main team feel like it's a big step down?  This whole concept sounds like glorified street ball, and having top-tier NBA players in the olympics might be the only thing that makes it seem legit.

USA Basketball does have a national 3 on 3 team already in place. Some who played in college, some with D League ties, but not real notable guys.

https://www.usab.com/mens/3x3/news.aspx

54 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This Olympic team is just screaming Dion Waiters

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

USA Basketball does have a national 3 on 3 team already in place. Some who played in college, some with D League ties, but not real notable guys.

https://www.usab.com/mens/3x3/news.aspx

wait so it's half court?  I really is streetball.  Is it "make it take it" too?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's the arena layout in Seattle:

6ipm5sp.png

Tickets are $41 to $218. The blue circles on the court are 4-point shots.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 2017-6-12 at 7:24 PM, 4_tattoos said:

My guess is that the ex-NBA players will not struggle.  Where a player in his 40s typically cannot keep up with a guy in his 20s is in running the court.  But this half-court set-up mitigates that factor, and rewards the things that you don't lose as quickly with age: shooting touch, positioning, strength.

I'd say that the more recognisable names in the league, the better. Even if the entire league is 40+, it will still be a great show.  To dismiss recently-retired players as "has-beens" is nonsensical.  Let's not forget how elevated the NBA level of play is. Even players who are a little short of NBA calibre are still more than good enough to engage in entertaining high-level competition against each other.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

30 minutes ago, Wings said:

So the McGregor-Mayweather fight just got scheduled for the same night and the same arena as the big 3 championship. 

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

One of those events is more likely to actually happen than the other.

Mayweather originally booked the MGM Grand Garden Arena, but Dana White indicated T Mobile Arena, both are MGM owned.

UFC 215 is w/o a location and White reportrdly also wants KeyArena for Saturday, August 19, a date which Big3 also has booked.

Archived