Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

Luke_Groundrunner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

what the league will end up as:

Image result for fairly odd parents buring money

Gotta try other Summer sports entertainment since kids won't watch MLB. They've got TV, so this is all about putting butts in seats now.

Getting money via moving their date for Mayweather will positively impact their bottom line.

A random redditor said today's Brooklyn show was a lot of fun. I do wish it was on TV live though; any "production" of it is likely to be very lame.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Why do people hate pretty much every new league that starts, regardless of what it is or what it's being created for?

I remember back when I was a lower-case g, we had the Roller Hockey International (or World Hockey League, I forget) and it was silly and bad, but there was pretty much nothing else to watch so people (including me) kinda got into it.

Not sure how too much content (i.e. choices) is a bad thing.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why do people hate pretty much every new league that starts, regardless of what it is or what it's being created for?

I remember back when I was a lower-case g, we had the Roller Hockey International (or World Hockey League, I forget) and it was silly and bad, but there was pretty much nothing else to watch so people (including me) kinda got into it.

That's a really good question. Threatened by change, I guess.

The XFL was the best example of this. Everyone killed it, and I never really got why. Yes, it was goofy and McMahon is a buffon, but it also had some interesting ideas -- several of which have been incorporated into other pro sports. People hated the UFL too (that's gone, right?).

More options for entertainment and more options for guys playing the sports seems the best outcome for everyone.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I used to watch the beach roller hockey on ESPN 2 back in the early-mid 90s. That was great. Having more sports or even multiple leagues of sports is so much better than too much coverage of leagues. I'm looking at you, NFL and NBA.

I like the idea of this and when Ice Cube was on the Bill Simmons podcast he sold me on it. It's like a Senior Tour for basketball players. I could watch that especially when the sports calendar right now is just a whole buncha baseball. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

A random redditor said today's Brooklyn show was a lot of fun. I do wish it was on TV live though; any "production" of it is likely to be very lame.

It took over six hours.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/06/26/big3-league-debut-presents-a-mixed-bag-for-its-future/?utm_term=.8b9a4848a12c

This, inherently, is the league’s problem. Fans arrived at Barclays Center Sunday hoping to see Iverson. And while the crowd remained surprisingly engaged throughout the day, most fans left after Iverson was done, and some booed play when he was on the sideline.

For as much as everyone associated with the league argued it was anything but a novelty act, fans didn’t pay to watch Iverson’s teammate, Andre Owens, finish with 20 points and 15 rebounds; they paid to watch Iverson. And if Iverson is only going to play token minutes, how long will the league be able to maintain interest?

Still, Sunday provided positives for the league’s organizers. The crowd was as large, and as good, as they could’ve hoped for. And there were a few moments of genuine excitement, including game-winning baskets to dramatically close out the first two games — an and-one layup by Rashard Lewis, and Stevenson’s three-pointer — that were met with standing ovations, and big celebrations by the victors.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

One word: Undercapitalization.

With all the dreams of new leagues or sports ventures, people are so often cash poor that vendors and employees holding the bag. Many may post "bad/poor marketing", isn't nearly as important to failure as not having enough cash to begin with.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

One word: Undercapitalization.

With all the dreams of new leagues or sports ventures, people are so often cash poor that vendors and employees holding the bag. Many may post "bad/poor marketing", isn't nearly as important to failure as not having enough cash to begin with.

That's not what I'm getting at. Whenever a new spring football league starts up, people go crazy, posting things like "I can't wait for this lead to die ", or "here we go again".

As somebody with no skin in the game, why on earth would anybody be against the formation of a new league? As DG said, it creates opportunities for players, and options for viewers. If you don't like the league,  you simply don't watch it. Actively rooting for it to fail, seems to be very counterproductive. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's not what I'm getting at. Whenever a new spring football league starts up, people go crazy, posting things like "I can't wait for this lead to die ", or "here we go again".

As somebody with no skin in the game, why on earth would anybody be against the formation of a new league? As DG said, it creates opportunities for players, and options for viewers. If you don't like the league,  you simply don't watch it. Actively rooting for it to fail, seems to be very counterproductive

Hell, it's not just reserved for leagues starting up...it's also for relocated or expansion teams, new venues, etc.

Many folks on here are just so ready and willing to proclaim that something will be a failure, all so they can be in front of the "Called it!" line.  Look at how many folks are ready to move the Vegas Golden Knights to Quebec before they've even acquired a player.  Probably due to the fact that many posters on here look at everything negatively.  I've mentioned this before....many posters on here would complain about having sex with Katy Perry because she wouldn't swallow.

This 3-on-3 Old Farts Tour has a chance because it's featuring former stars and/or recognizable names instead of no-names that weren't good enough to make the big leagues.

Watching on FS1 now.

Presentation is professional and it does a great job of avoiding some of the gimmicks that leagues like XFL and Jamballl had. Plus, it's cool to see that some of these guys -- like Kwame Brown -- still look pretty good.

I'm not sure about the half-court setup, in part because it feels a little bit like I'm watching guys play 21 in NBA arenas (which I am).

Early returns, to me, are positive. I'll be watching.

Apparently Ice Cube is a but uni-buff, and worked with Todd Radom on the team identieis and uniforms.  According to Todd, he had already thought of the color-on-color matchups long in advance, and had very precise specifications for the team looks.

I can't say I agree with all (or even most) of his decisions, but based on the interview, I do have to admire his thought process.

Archived