Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

Luke_Groundrunner

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Apparently Ice Cube is a but uni-buff, and worked with Todd Radom on the team identieis and uniforms.  According to Todd, he had already thought of the color-on-color matchups long in advance, and had very precise specifications for the team looks.

I can't say I agree with all (or even most) of his decisions, but based on the interview, I do have to admire his thought process.

Does anybody know who the uniform manufacturer is for Big3? Only see the league logo and team word marks on the jerseys.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Was just looking at highlights on twitter and I have to say, the unis actually look good when you consider how bad most minor league team unis look (outside of affiliated baseball.) and while I personally think they should've just based the teams in cities randomly just for reference point, I feel like they look great on the court and most of all, like a real pro league. 

Also the aforementioned UniWatch story on the unis: http://www.uni-watch.com/2017/06/26/talking-big3-uniforms-with-todd-radom/

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Does anybody know who the uniform manufacturer is for Big3? Only see the league logo and team word marks on the jerseys.

They have not announced any kind of apparel deal, so I presume they got something cheap until they can get an apparel deal. The TV deal is obviously like those old Arena football tv deals on NBC, not like they're getting paid for it. 

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Watching highlights as i had no idea it was going on today, and I gotta say it looks fun, exciting & the identities of the teams work along with the colours. I just need to see Vince Carter come here after he hangs them up... just so we can see more dunks. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Presentation is professional and it does a great job of avoiding some of the gimmicks that leagues like XFL and Jamballl had.   

I just want to mention that the XFL's broadcasts dropped the cheesiness after the first couple of weeks, and became very professional.  Here's a good mid-season example.

Anyway, the tendency of fans to dismiss a new league is unfortunate.  Some fans start to think that the dominant league is the sport, so any rival league is by definition fake.  This attitude has to be seen as another symptom of the ignorance of history, considering that the dominant football, basketball, and hockey leagues attained their current shapes by incorporating (at least parts of) newer rival leagues that had gained legitimacy.

And we should recognise that this dismissive attitude towards new leagues has nothing in common with the ill will that was expressed on this board for the new NHL team in Las Vegas. The NHL expansion team drew jeers for specific valid reasons, such as its location in Las Vegas (rule of thumb: if a place does not get snow, there should be no NHL team there) instead of an appropriate Northern or Canadian city, and its name which doesn't even contain the city's full name. Whereas, a new league will be denounced not on its merits but mindlessly and reflexively, simply on account of its being new.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Enjoyed week 1, but wish ticket pricing was more appropriate to the level of play, and that maybe they steered toward an outdoor model in the spirit of 3 on - with temporary setups sort of like the pro beach volleyball tour.

I get why the old guys are included- familiar names draw eyes. But aging makes strength hard to maintain and its cousin speed fades first. Playing half-court with no explosiveness isn't great. There's a reason guys in their late 30s in any sport are marvels. Even when it explicitly isn't and can't be "major league," I'm not sure what sport I'd want to watch guys my age play, no matter how familiar.

Somewhere between Big3 and TBT is the optimal summer basketball concept.

Probably a good move if the first live event was six hours long. I'm thinking about the 23rd ("Week 5"?) but that's quite a commitment.

I forgot to watch last night... fireworks. But FS1 seems to be showing some replays so I'll catch it later. Both sittings I've only watched one game at a time anyway.

Allen Iverson hasn't looked as good as many were probably hoping. I don't know if he's out of shape or just has nothing left to give, but he couldn't hang with Mike Bibby in last night's game.

Is this going to become a legit spectator sport (legit meaning comparable to arena football in popularity) or is interest only in seeing the big name retired players?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is this going to become a legit spectator sport (legit meaning comparable to arena football in popularity) or is interest only in seeing the big name retired players?

Well, it isn't like Arena Football™ is doing well today with just five franchises, two of which are owned by Wizards/Capitals owner Ted Leonsis. The other "rouge" indoor football leagues are much worse off than the AFL.

They got over 10,000 for Charlotte, so people seem to want to see old NBA dudes play 3-on-3 over the course of a Sunday afternoon and FS1 willing to pay for rights, which indoor football has a problem to have cable do.

I should have specified AFL when it was on stable grounds.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I should have specified AFL when it was on stable grounds.

Still hard to compare as Big3 guys are getting $10K/week. Meanwhile at the peak AFL got $2,500 (more for QBs), plus under the table payments to better talent which still continues.

Their "peak", with Elway and BonJovi ownership plus NBC TV money was basically when the AFL was its least financially stable.

A lot of people seem to genuinely like this league so far (both live in arena and watching on TV). Only gripe most have is that the games aren't televised or streamed live. Part of me feels like they're using this season to get a better idea of how much TV time would be needed for potential live games in the future.

5 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

A lot of people seem to genuinely like this league so far (both live in arena and watching on TV). Only gripe most have is that the games aren't televised or streamed live. Part of me feels like they're using this season to get a better idea of how much TV time would be needed for potential live games in the future.

Will you or others really sit by your phone/laptop for 5-6 hours on a Sunday to watch this?

Week 1 had just 400K viewers. That's not much, even for the summer.

Archived