Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

Luke_Groundrunner

interesting that they left Phila off the schedule, considering they said they were going to make it up to them after AI didn't play there last year because of (allegedly) a hangover.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They posted a facebook video today mentioning games will be aired on Fox as well as FS1 this season. Previously they only mentioned games being aired on FS1.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Looks likes every team but last year's champion and runner up will be completely redrafted. That's kinda cool.

It's what you get to do when your league is built exclusively on the desire of fans to watch individual players, rather than giving a damn about home teams or who wins vs. who loses.

In a way I think it's brilliant, in that it's innovative and places clear focus on putting forth an entertaining sports property.

In another way though, I think it's asinine, in that it's telling people you're putting no real emphasis on being a competitive sport, but more like pro wrestling.

nav-logo.png

• 4 weeks later...

It was brought to my attention earlier today that the BIG3 now has a deal with Adidas. That's surprising. You'd think Adidas would be way too big of a brand to even considered getting involved with what many consider to be a niche secondary league. Maybe I'm underestimating just how good of a businessman Ice Cube is.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/big3-and-adidas-announce-major-multi-year-partnership-300623284.html

On 4/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, Mac the Knife said:

It's what you get to do when your league is built exclusively on the desire of fans to watch individual players, rather than giving a damn about home teams or who wins vs. who loses.

In a way I think it's brilliant, in that it's innovative and places clear focus on putting forth an entertaining sports property.

In another way though, I think it's asinine, in that it's telling people you're putting no real emphasis on being a competitive sport, but more like pro wrestling.

I mean, I get your point.  But the point of these league was never to be an alternative to the NBA.  It's basically an organized streetball league for guys with name recognition. And in that sense, makes perfect sense to keep only the champs to stay together.  Becoming more like the NBA would be a death trap for this league and stigmatize it as the NBA seniors circuit.

But all it is is an NBA senior's circuit.  It's a solid sports entertainment product, and one that players in every other sport probably wish they could emulate (and in baseball, some promoters tried a few decades ago).  But it's a promotion, not a league; a barnstorming circuit rather than a truly competitive enterprise.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  If you can make a buck doing it?  By all means, go for it.  Just don't try to pass it off as anything more than it is.

nav-logo.png

• 1 month later...

Looks like Allen Iverson is out of the BIG3 all together. They've announced that a new head coach for his team and basically gave him a WWE style "future endeavors".

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fthebig3basketball%2Fposts%2F874154372772751&width=500

This is a 'league' about drawing cards.  Outside of Philadelphia, Iverson simply isn't much of one - and certainly not one of sufficient stature to pay what presumably was a decent sized appearance fee (I say 'appearance' because he never played, and I doubt he actually coached anyone... you know... because he'd have to show up for a practice).

nav-logo.png

• 2 weeks later...

BIG3 returns to action. First game of the night was streamed on Facebook Live. The other 3 games are airing live on FS1. Currently Allen Iverson's old team 3's Company is blowing out Killer 3's (Ron Artest, Steven Jackson) 26-11.

Looks like the same uniforms from last year, just with the Adidas triangle logo added to them.

Michael Rappaport is still involved ?

Killer 3s need a broke man's Chauncey Billups for when the real deal ain't there, cause it's the same story as last year: they were okay with him, but they still play poorly without him.

Looks like the Ball Hogs made a few tweaks: they've switched around their greens (last year they were forest green with some Kelly trim, this year it's Kelly green with some forest trim), and the Ball Hogs script is now gold, and the front numbers white.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Interesting that Trilogy has a champions badge..

Well they are the defending league champions. Not unheard of. If I had to guess, the badges were only worn tonight since it was the season opener.

Meanwhile, Trilogy finally lost a game after going undefeated last year.

Nate Robinson is still a scrappy little dude lol. Damn near started a post game brawl.

These players in this league may not be in the primes anymore, but they're all still competitive as hell.

Archived