Pro Wrestling Championship Belt Thread 2.0

JQK

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Every belt is going to be shaped like the World/Universal tltles?

WWE announced that they're going to crown Asia and Latin Champions in a manner similar to the UK Championship. I imagine they'll all follow the basic formula of having localised designs within the centre plates.

I don't see an issue with that, but what about African and Australian/Oceania championships? Kamala and Nathan Jones can win championships!

(I'm well aware Kamala has severe health problems and is down a limb...I'm an :censored: for making that joke)

12 minutes ago, Mings said:

I don't see an issue with that, but what about African and Australian/Oceania championships? Kamala and Nathan Jones can win championships!

(I'm well aware Kamala has severe health problems and is down a limb...I'm an :censored: for making that joke)

When I was in, say, 6th and 7th grade I used to play an unsophisticated wrestling simulation game I made up. Basically just wrote 64 wrestlers' (WWF, WCW and ECW, plus former stars) names on slips of paper and held tournaments for fictional titles. It was a little bit like a card game in that I assigned each guy a score (high score would win) but his rating would decrease based on the difficulty of his previous opponent(s). I was a weird kid. 

ANYWAYS, I had a World Champion, plus an Intercontinental Champion and then Champions for each continent. So if you think WWE has too many titles, I had 9, plus a tag team title. 

36 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

WWE announced that they're going to crown Asia and Latin Champions in a manner similar to the UK Championship. I imagine they'll all follow the basic formula of having localised designs within the centre plates.

This seems like a thinly veiled attempt to have an excuse to sign as many wrestlers as possible to keep them away from the major US indies and international feds (NJPW, AAA, etc).  

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

We had a rather lengthy belt thread a while back that accidentally got wiped when we had to purge an insane amount of spam topics. So I spun the belt discussion from the Royal Rumble thread off into a new belt thread. Plus added some histories and pics of belts I like in an effort to kickstart it all.

So here are just a few belts that I like/find interesting. Let's start with my favourite belt, and perhaps the most famous wrestling championship of all time. The big gold belt. Some history...

It was first used in the NWA to replace the "domed globe" in 1986. In 1988 JCP, which had consolidated all the parts of the NWA that still mattered, was bought out by Turner Broadcasting and renamed World Championship Wrestling. In January of 1991 WCW, still part of the NWA officially, recognized NWA World Champion Ric Flair as the WCW World Champion. The belt represented both world titles simultaneously.

In July of that year Flair had a falling out with Jim Herd, WCW's Vice President. Herd fired Flair, but Flair kept the belt. Figuring it was his until either WCW or the NWA paid him back the deposit he had put down on the belt when he became champion. Flair showed up on WWF TV with the NWA/WCW Championship belt. WCW and the NWA both stripped him of their world championships, and WCW eventually got the physical belt back.

During that absence WCW had commissioned a new WCW World Championship belt. They began promoting the big gold belt as the NWA World Championship when they got it back from the WWF. So Flair leaving actually split the WCW and NWA world titles, which had been simultaneous since early 1991. WCW Kept booking the WCW and NWA World Championships as separate world titles until September 1993. WCW withdrew from the NWA following some legal disputes. Ric Flair, who was NWA Champion at the time, was stripped of that title by the NWA. The belt, however, was property of WCW. It's also worth noting that the NWA didn't immediately award the belt to a new champion. Instead it went dormant for a year while WCW simply renamed the championship Flair had as the WCW International Championship. That continuity is why I consider the WCW International Championship to have the old NWA lineage, with the NWA World Championship floating around today being a belt cooked up in 1994 and given a retro name. One that Shane Douglas threw on the floor of a bingo hall. I digress though.

The WCW International and WCW World Championships were unified when WCW Int. Champion Sting was defeated by WCW Champion Flair. WCW retired the newer WCW World Championship belt and used the big gold belt as their unified world title from that point onward.

So now the pics!

dR8HGHv.jpg

There have been a few variations. I won't cover all of them, but the one above is based on the original design, which served as the base for a lot of the official redesigns WCW and the WWF/E would use. 

So anyone remember WCW's movie? Ready to Rumble? It's awful. It did have an interesting belt though. The WCW World Championship belt was represented by a silver replica with gold detailing. I get not wanting to use the actual belt on set, but I find it odd they used such a weird variation.

qfcvDiL.jpg

When Vince brought NWA/WCW World Champion Ric Flair into the WWF he had the belt with him. Of course WCW sued, and got the belt back. Still, Vince wasn't willing to give up on the gimmick. He had a new belt designed that was based off of the NWA/WCW design for Flair to use...

jX2ZaQy.png

Of course that was still too close to the NWA/WCW belt as far as Turner's lawyers were concerned. So he gave Ric Flair a WWF Tag Team belt and blurred it out on telecasts...or did he? Everyone assumes that Flair was using a WWF Tag Team Championship belt, but he wasn't. This was what the WWF Tag Team Championship belts looked like while Flair was in the company.

xiflj8E.jpg

And this was the blurred out belt Flair held...

GYZkVlu.jpg

The "CHAMPIONS" bit on the banner was replaced with "CHAMPION", and the "TAG TEAM" portion was replaced with three gems. Meaning the belt essentially became an alternate WWF World Championship belt. That's a weirdly specific and pointless (since it was blurred anyway) attention to detail that I can get behind :D

And of course, the short-lived WCW World Championship belt. It's a shame. I actually really like it, but it was never going to last in the same company that used the big gold.

DmBnp1Z.jpg

The WCW Television Championship. It started off the JCP version of the NWA Television Championship. And had a very unique design, with the silver on red.

Plv3Rnp.png

It morphed into the WCW Television Championship. This is actually my favourite version. It's got a unique design to it, it looks important, and I like the subtle bit of corporate synergy with the on-topic TBS logos :D

mIaQo3E.png

Then it got replaced by this thing, which I never liked. I get that it was supposed to look like a mini WCW World Championship belt, but it just looked...generic. It didn't even use proper WCW logos.

dX7vyzC.jpg

I won't go into the whole design history of the WCW Tag Team Championships, but I will share this gem. So this is the WCW Tag Team Championship design we all know from the Monday Night Wars, right?

NwjH8Ei.png

Well WCW branded themselves in mid-1999, swapping the stencil logo out for the star logo. This didn't effect the belts though. They strangely never had a new set of titles made. Or so I thought.

jxdaAiD.jpg

They had new tag team belts featuring the new logo ready to go by late 2000/early 2001. I suspect they held off on introducing them so that they could be featured as part of the WCW "reboot" Eric Bischoff was planning, had he and his business partners succeeded in buying the company. Instead the WWF bought WCW, and just kept using the stencil logo version of the belts when they did their InVasion storyline.

The AWA Championship was formed when the Minnesota Boxing and Wrestling Club, which booked NWA territories in the northern Midwest, broke away in 1960. The new AWA recognized the then-NWA World Champion Pat O'Connor as the AWA World Champion and gave him 90 days to defend the title against AWA owner Verne Gagne. O'Connor and the NWA ignored it all, and so Gagne stripped O'Connor of the AWA World Championship and awarded it to himself. The AWA World Championship would be considered one of the "big three" World Championships along with the NWA and WWF World titles, up until about the mid-80s, when business began to fall apart for them.

There are two famous AWA World Championship designs. The first one is alright...

BDd7YVe.jpg

...but this one is just pure class.

5ZwtaTf.jpg

It's clearly cribbing from the NWA/WCW big gold design, but it's sufficiently different enough to work as its own belt.

Its happening !!! I think.

I did a quick mock-up on what I had in mind with the UK Championship belt. An idea on what I'd like to see. I'll put it in the spoilers ( mind you its a quick rough up job but the idea is there... I hope ).

Spoiler

wweukbelt.png

4kv29i.jpg

Finally, some indie belts.

This Ohio Valley Wrestling Heavyweight Championship is amazing, and could easily work as an updated winged eagle WWF World Championship belt.

1i88eSG.jpg

And then there's Right Coast Pro. It's a small indie promotion in Delaware. I know next to nothing about it, other than the fact that the RCP Heavyweight Championship belt is perhaps the most gorgeous pro wrestling belt I've ever seen. It's got everything I love about the big gold belt, all turned up to eleven. It just looks prestigious.

mqVqGno.jpg

So sorry for the onslaught of history and pics. Just looking to get the ball rolling (again :D ).

17 hours ago, JQK said:

FB_IMG_1484379406221.jpg

Very nice, but I would prefer something like this for the US Championship.

2e03Odh.jpg

Of course with the US Championship and UK Championship it might be time to bring this one back...

GW7aFd5.png

:P

Seeing what they've done with the UK belt confirms that WWE could've given the Universal and Women's Championship belts unique designs if they wanted to.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, Davey said:

Its happening !!! I think.

I did a quick mock-up on what I had in mind with the UK Championship belt. An idea on what I'd like to see. I'll put it in the spoilers ( mind you its a quick rough up job but the idea is there... I hope ).

Reveal hidden contents

wweukbelt.png

That's an excellent modification. The new shape you gave it was a good choice.

It could use a change to make it ressemble something more along the lines of this...

undisputedchampionship.png

You should apply a small tweak to the strap and put some serif-like edges onto the side plates.

Archived