New Juventus logo

Louis

3 hours ago, GFB said:

I think it's smart and wonderful. Just some thoughts:

• It shows that Juventus understand their own brand (essentially, they are the universally recognized black and white soccer club), and that they have a long-term vision for their brand in the future that expands beyond just being a soccer team.
  • With the amount of clubs that share colors, the commonality and constant switching of apparel manufacturers (it feels like 90% of the big leagues are shared between Nike, Adidas, and Puma), and the random and rampant sponsor-ism of professional soccer (how many teams are sponsored by Fly Emirates), how many clubs are identifiable solely by their crest on the pitch?  Yes, the kits themselves are normally the primary identifier, but ask yourself what's the real difference between a Bayern Munich kit and a Manchester United kit this year? Soccer crests are so small and players are almost always moving, so with almost every club having a shield or crest of some kind, doing something to separate yourself from the field with a logo that is incredibly simple and easy to understand is a great strategy. 
  • Everyone has been lamenting the loss of the old logo, but what is Juventus really losing in the old crest that actually made it iconic? The oval shape was unique, but Juventus has used circle and shield shapes similar to the new design in their history as well. Is it the loss of the horse/bull/zebra and the crown? Because apparently Juventus themselves can't figure out and decide on which animal to use. Is it the gold arch; because I thought this was the black/white soccer team? I'd argue that the most important part is the black and white stripes, and not only do those stay, but now they're given meaning by allowing them to give shape to the Juventus "J."
  • Those of you saying that it looks great for an apparel or lifestyle brand but not for a soccer club, the line between those two is blurring more and more by the day. One could argue that supporting a specific club is a lifestyle brand (try asking Real Madrid fans to wear stripes or Chelsea fans to wear red).

Imagine you're kicking a ball around with some friends and so the ball is constantly spinning and in motion. Then a player receives a pass, puts his foot on top of the ball, and the ball stops for an instant.  You look down for a split second and you see this:

juventus_balls.jpg

Had you not known which club's logo was on the ball, your brain would still be able to register that the logo was a J made out of black and white stripes... all in a fraction of a second. If it's a club with a regular crest or shield, it probably doesn't register with you. Granted, if you're familiar with the club already like a Barcelona or Man U or Real Madrid, then you might be able to recognize it by the shape alone in a fraction of a second. However, if you're not familiar with soccer clubs, you'd probably wouldn't know.

The new logo is better served to represent the club across all forms of media and print (it works better at all sizes as an avatar, profile picture, animation, etc). It's flexible and easy to use, which makes proper-use incredibly simple for third parties like TV networks, apparel companies, and soccer catalogues.

It's instant recognition for a fast-moving and attention-deprived world.

juventus_party_01.jpg

very well said. at first i liked the decision to make a branding move this bold, but was doubtful if this was the right team to make such a move. today, im thinking this is the perfect team to do such a bold re-brand. we always see cases of struggling brands/teams with a weak history reposition themselves as something more than they are (taco bell). but Juve, by being such a successful club over so many years, have earned the right to do this. and IMO, this identity feels more authentic to who they actually are as a soccer team– and they've just positioned themselves to be a worldwide luxury/lifestyle/sporting brand. 

im very excited to see how this brand evolves over the next 5-10 years. it's a huge risk that alienates a lot of hardcore fans today but years from now, this could be a team/brand we talk about on a global scale with Coca-Cola and Nike. its important to know that this isn't just a change in logos, it is a complete change in company culture and business model. these designs reflect that

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

I am so torn on this one. I don't want to like it, but I really really do. 

Also, what @GFB wrote is spot on. I terms of branding, the new logo works much more effectively than the old one. After it settles in a bit more it will trigger instant recognition.

It's just a keyline away from being a good logo.  The implied shield shape isn't enough on its own for all applications.

22 minutes ago, Pabig said:

Interestingly due to the backlash all Juventus social media accounts have switched back to the old crest.

Let's hope the :censored: storm made them realize their new "logo" is not very good and they now keep the crest.

Well, I'll be damned.

Juve_ChangeOfHeart.png

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Here's the logo encased in a traditional shield, which helps a bit. Also the same Twitter account on the first photo mocked up the logo in action. I see what Juve were trying to go for but not sure it really works. Needs some kind of containing shape like the first picture.

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6117.JPG

When I first saw it, I didn't like it. I still don't like it by itself, but I kinda like it on the shirt.

IxkieML.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Well, I'll be damned.

Juve_ChangeOfHeart.png

wow, they pulled a Chargers. after going through this whole process of completely re-imagining everything that is their brand, they cave in after one day? did they really think they were going to roll this out and have their entire fanbase praise them from the get? 

you know what the biggest problems in branding/identity design are today? impatience and fear

GRAPHIC ARTIST

OK, let's have fun...

Let's see if anyone else see a stick figure player (headless) running from left to right, with his knees buckling as he falls...Right arm extended to keep balance... damn it, he's taking a soccer dive....

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

wow, they pulled a Chargers. after going through this whole process of completely re-imagining everything that is their brand, they cave in after one day? did they really think they were going to roll this out and have their entire fanbase praise them from the get? 

you know what the biggest problems in branding/identity design are today? impatience and fear

In both cases, the problem seems a combination of flawed logos and a tone-deaf rollout.  For all the focus-groups they invariably used to develop these, they seem thrown out without any explanation (beyond the rather silly ad-speak video Juve put online). 

Sometimes it's as simple as setting expectations.  When Arsenal brought a relatively significant change to their crest, they seeded the change for weeks if not months beforehand.   We all knew it was coming, and could evaluate the design on its own merits, not the mere fact they made a change.  I know a couple pretty serious Juve fans, and they were floored.  Had no idea a change was even being considered.  That's a failure to understand the marketplace on the part of the team.  Sell the design to your fans, not the fashion magazines.  

As for the Chargers, yeah somebody should have considered they'd get the Dodgers blowback. Again, tone-deaf from the start.   But perfectly in line with a team that starts its relocation announcement with a statement about how so very LA they are. 

Edit: tl;dr: Spanos is an entitled moron who didn't understand that he had to earn the right to claim LA, and Juventus forgot that they need to make supporters feel like supporters, not consumers.  

Juve would be the perfect team that would do this, because other than winning they truly don't have anything to fall back on to represent. They're more of the football division of FIAT/Exor than a team which represents a location (Barca, Bayern) or an ideal (Real Madrid). The bull and crown of Turin wasn't needed, the vast majority of their fan base consists of bandwagons for whom the bull didn't mean anything. And it's not sinonimous of worldwide success like ManUtd's crest, so they were free to create their own brand without the heraldic constraints other clubs face. It really brings home the point that Juventus is everybody's club, since it doesn't represent anything  outside of FIAT and the Agnelli family. Just think that the it was presented in Milan, and not in Turin. So they can afford to have a hip logo, to be used in digital media, and they really have no need to have a traditional crest in the modern football landscape 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

5 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

It really brings home the point that Juventus is everybody's club, since it doesn't represent anything  outside of FIAT and the Agnelli family. Just think that the it was presented in Milan, and not in Turin. So they can afford to have a hip logo, to be used in digital media, and they really have no need to have a traditional crest in the modern football landscape 

Yeah, this seems a fantastic explanation as to why they failed. 

I'll try to be serious and please excuse my english

In 2017, we are exposed by force or not to 5, 10 maybe 20 times more information platforms, media, graphics, logos, pictures, sounds, and are more and more liviing at a faster pace.

We got twitter, facebook, instasomething I dunno, snapple shot (is it?) are linked all and every minutes to internet, even in restrooms.

We cannot retain and remember all and every symbols we are exposed. Remember the front page news in yesterdays newspaper? I dont, I'm submerged of ads, pics, media etc.

Question is this: Will people recognize this logo without the "Juventus" mention on top immediatly think Juventus? Soccer? in this overexposed era?

What the purpose of a logo? Be the graphic mark of a product, organisation, instantly recognized. Imagine the Boston Bruins changing their beloved logo, imagine the Pittsburgh Steelers going with a nice and stylish S, imagine the Chicago Cubs going "modern"

You dont need to be told the NY is the Yankees and the CH the MTL Canadiens, but now you need to be told this is the Juve.

While I'm not hyper conservative on graphics and logos, I think this is a downgrade, and can smell a lucrative intention of selling merch.

Yeah, I'm tough on them, but this logo could represent any product beginning by the letter J. Good try but this is a big gamble, better not miss your shot.

Sorry, don't like the concept.

juv2.jpg

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

In both cases, the problem seems a combination of flawed logos and a tone-deaf rollout.  For all the focus-groups they invariably used to develop these, they seem thrown out without any explanation (beyond the rather silly ad-speak video Juve put online). 

Sometimes it's as simple as setting expectations.  When Arsenal brought a relatively significant change to their crest, they seeded the change for weeks if not months beforehand.   We all knew it was coming, and could evaluate the design on its own merits, not the mere fact they made a change.  I know a couple pretty serious Juve fans, and they were floored.  Had no idea a change was even being considered.  That's a failure to understand the marketplace on the part of the team.  Sell the design to your fans, not the fashion magazines.  

im a fan of the Juve designs, i don't think anything there is flawed. but much more importantly, you hit one something i was just thinking on. im not a soccer follower or fan, but when i saw this identity package yesterday, it shocked me! but i dont know if the way they rolled this out could actually have been better.

let's say they let it be known they were re-branding. what expectation does that set? an updated version of the crest, right? so when they roll out with the J, it still veers heavily from expectation. they absolutely blew up everything they had for this new identity. a new business model, the whole 9 yards. i really think the only way you roll this out is to do it Band-Aid style, all at once. the reactions that followed could only have been anticipated, i just can't fathom anyone from the club or Interbrand saying "people are definitely going to love this day 1". i think the biggest mistake here was reverting back after one day. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I think the logo does have flaws, if only because it lacks a coherent shape.  I like the layout, but think it needs a key line to separate from the background.  

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't have ripped off the band-aid, only that they should have given some warning that a change was coming.  They would have been able to avoid or at least minimize the shock of the New.  It's hard to expect people to evaluate the logo totally on its own merits when they're still getting used to the idea of a change in the first place.  

Again, I come back to Arsenal.  There was some definite pushback for the new logo, but entirely on the various aspects of the design - no blackletter text, no motto.  Truncated cannon.  It was a pretty forward-looking logo for its time, and what felt like a major departure from the old.  But the club minimized the disruption by preparing the fans.  They did the work to sell the logo, which Juventus failed to do.  

This new Juve logo is again a pretty radical departure from football logos.  Which isn't bad in and of itself, but you have to earn that. 

I'm not a soccer fan. To me, the old Juventus shields look like they could be literally any other European soccer team. This new one though, it stands out, it's recognizable to an outsider as being different. I think that's a good thing for their worldwide brand.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

35 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

My attempts at quelling the rage: 

output_wxzf3d.gif

Like @BrandMooreArt I'm a fan of the redesign as well but I do love the one with just the gold bull and crown. Helps break up the "boringness" of the logo.

Sad to see them ditch it after only a few hours, if you're going through with a change, believe in it and stick with it!

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Juventus forgot that they need to make supporters feel like supporters, not consumers.  

This is especially important given the fact that European supporters are getting more and more resentful of things they see as "modern football" and creating this new brand that deviates from everything Juventus (pretty much the Yankees of the sport in Italy) has ever done in terms of branding which was presented in another city (which also happens to be the home of AC Milan & Inter who are your two biggest rivals) is not going to win those people over. 

For the football/soccer fans in Europe you couldn't get more of a representation of "modern football" unless you went to Salzburg or Leipzig. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived