Waverly Wolverines

ZionEagle

Hello to you all. I've come up with another highschool rebrand project, and I feel it's finally ready for public critique and consumption. It isn't entirely finished yet, but I'm hoping to complete it eventually. I'll be working with @Broncoboy7, and a huge thanks to him for what he's done already.

sM4VBje.png

gDv9L86.png

zZNmPRI.png

HzazLnl.png

MntBuIc.png

WrhvsCA.png

lIee3WQ.png

ovZ4Obp.png

G5O5hXY.png

OyYCQ76.png

This is all I have so far, but basketball jerseys should be coming soon. We're also contemplating doing wrestling, track, and marching band designs. 

For the jerseys, I tried to keep some of the current design while updating the look and giving it some of my own flair :P 

As for the logo process, I first started it early last year. But my first attempt was way too close to a certain clipart logo, so I attempted another design late 2016. However, I wasn't satisfied with this, and completed my final attempt in the beginning of 2017. I hope that you all will enjoy this project, and feel free to provide feedback of any kind :D 

Well done! As someone fascinated by the creative processes of others, I especially like the 'Evolution of an Idea' section -- you improved the logo tremendously each step of the way, and the final proposal is great work. The subtle change in color to a slightly bolder red makes a BIG difference. 

The only suggestion I have at the moment is to consider letter spacing of the wordmark -- the 'V' in both 'Waverly' and 'Wolverines' looks to have a lot of space in front of it. This could just be my eyes or a slight nuance in the original font set, but it's a very minor thing to note in an otherwise terrific proposal!

Two things that stand out for me with the wordmark are the W and the rest of the letters are not consistent in style (block serif vs. spike serif). It almost looks like you used 3 different fonts. The best example is the W and the V, they should almost look the same yet the tops of the letters are completely different. The other thing is the kerning of the letters. Look at the spacing between the A and V, L and Y, L and V, compared to the rest of the mark.

WA VERL Y

WOL VERINES

That seems like it's been covered, but you really need to work on the letter spacing. Simply typing out letters in a random font isn't always a good option.

In the "evolution" of the logo, I don't see how you went from the left one to the right one. I think the left one is the strongest of the three, and could just use a bit more simplification. The third one has so many large blocks of solid color that much of the detail is lost, and even muddied by the insertion of silver, which doesn't really add depth as it should.

Your color scheme is also red and silver, but you threw in a "black for black's sake" football uniform. There's no silver in any of the uniforms, but you went right to black.

It's a good start, but still needs work.

7 hours ago, slapshot said:

Your color scheme is also red and silver, but you threw in a "black for black's sake" football uniform. There's no silver in any of the uniforms, but you went right to black.

I might be wrong but I feel like the black uniform was designed for a blackout game, quite common nowadays. 

I really like the overall branding but I must say that the font difference is very strong as you can spot it at first sight. Concerning logos I actually like all three of them but I feel like the logo you chose is a bit generic, meaning that if you don't know it's hard to guess what kind of animal it is, whereas the other two logos gave me immediately the idea of a wolverine.

I'm really curious about wrestling unis...

The logo you chose is the best. The one on the far left screams badger. The far right one looks the most like a wolverine. 

However, I agree with the mentions above that the wordmark looks like there are spaces in between the V's and Y. @slapshot brought up a good point with no silver in any of the uniforms. I'd rather see a silver alternate than a blackout. 

On 1/17/2017 at 9:57 PM, slapshot said:

I think the left one is the strongest of the three, and could just use a bit more simplification. The third one has so many large blocks of solid color that much of the detail is lost, and even muddied by the insertion of silver, which doesn't really add depth as it should.

I agree that the left one could be re-worked and also the middle has a nice pose.

The one that was selected looks better as a whole animal than as a stand alone head; there is something around the eye area that could be changed on that one.

To kind of piggyback on Slapshot's commentary, I agree that the left is the best logo of the bunch. It's almost as if you de-evolutionized to get to the logo on the right.

A little simplification and alteration of the first one would be a stronger mascot by leaps and bounds. 

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

To kind of piggyback on Slapshot's commentary, I agree that the left is the best logo of the bunch. It's almost as if you de-evolutionized to get to the logo on the right.

A little simplification and alteration of the first one would be a stronger mascot by leaps and bounds. 

7 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

I agree that the left one could be re-worked and also the middle has a nice pose.

The one that was selected looks better as a whole animal than as a stand alone head; there is something around the eye area that could be changed on that one.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:57 PM, slapshot said:

WA VERL Y

WOL VERINES

That seems like it's been covered, but you really need to work on the letter spacing. Simply typing out letters in a random font isn't always a good option.

In the "evolution" of the logo, I don't see how you went from the left one to the right one. I think the left one is the strongest of the three, and could just use a bit more simplification. The third one has so many large blocks of solid color that much of the detail is lost, and even muddied by the insertion of silver, which doesn't really add depth as it should.

It's a good start, but still needs work.

First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback.

@hettinger_rl, the full bodied mark is stronger. But I feel like it's too big to be used across mediums. But, I'm open to improvement. Although you all seem like you don't think the final logo is really a good mark for the school, you also didn't give me advice on how to change it really. If anyone has ideas on how to improve the mark, by all means, let me know :) I will note that I was having a hard time due to the colors I think. I'm not really good at designing logos with only color+white in it. I added the silver because it really just felt empty without it. @slapshot Do you think there would be a way to add shadows without muddying the logo?

As for the lettering, I will admit wordmarks are not my strong suit. I essentially just picked a font I thought went with the "W", modified it a bit and typed it in. Unfortunately, Powerpoint has a odd way of spacing letters, so the only other option is spacing out the letters individually, which is extremely time consuming (Trust me, I've done it before). But, if you all think that is a major issue that needs to be fixed, I'm willing to do the work.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:13 AM, Pulv! said:

I might be wrong but I feel like the black uniform was designed for a blackout game, quite common nowadays. 

I really like the overall branding but I must say that the font difference is very strong as you can spot it at first sight. Concerning logos I actually like all three of them but I feel like the logo you chose is a bit generic, meaning that if you don't know it's hard to guess what kind of animal it is, whereas the other two logos gave me immediately the idea of a wolverine.

I'm really curious about wrestling unis...

As for the "Black for black sake" uni. As @Pulv! stated, I made that jersey as a "Friday Night Fright" jersey to be used once in the season, or something to that extent. I just thought that the black (Which is actually a dark grey I will note) really went with the identity. I don't think the jersey would be as strong with light silver/red, but I could try to test the waters with that. I didn't put silver in the uniforms due to the fact I wanted to keep them similar to the current jerseys, while fixing what I thought needed to be fixed. Perhaps I could put a silver strip in between the white to balance it out.

I wasn't really planning on making silver a color to be used at all, but considering the merchandise @Broncoboy7 made utilizes the silver, adding it to the jerseys would be sensible.

And lastly,

On 1/17/2017 at 9:23 PM, cjm3114jr said:

Looks good. Are there baseball uniforms in the works?

I was considering it, but I'm not sure the school has a baseball program to be honest. I will check on it though, and if they do have one we will certainly set to work on baseball uniforms :) 

Again, thank you all for the feedback and criticism, and I will get back to work ;) 

1 hour ago, ZionEagle said:

First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback.

@hettinger_rl, the full bodied mark is stronger. But I feel like it's too big to be used across mediums. But, I'm open to improvement. Although you all seem like you don't think the final logo is really a good mark for the school, you also didn't give me advice on how to change it really. If anyone has ideas on how to improve the mark, by all means, let me know :) I will note that I was having a hard time due to the colors I think. I'm not really good at designing logos with only color+white in it. I added the silver because it really just felt empty without it. @slapshot Do you think there would be a way to add shadows without muddying the logo?

As for the lettering, I will admit wordmarks are not my strong suit. I essentially just picked a font I thought went with the "W", modified it a bit and typed it in. Unfortunately, Powerpoint has a odd way of spacing letters, so the only other option is spacing out the letters individually, which is extremely time consuming (Trust me, I've done it before). But, if you all think that is a major issue that needs to be fixed, I'm willing to do the work.

As for the "Black for black sake" uni. As @Pulv! stated, I made that jersey as a "Friday Night Fright" jersey to be used once in the season, or something to that extent. I just thought that the black (Which is actually a dark grey I will note) really went with the identity. I don't think the jersey would be as strong with light silver/red, but I could try to test the waters with that. I didn't put silver in the uniforms due to the fact I wanted to keep them similar to the current jerseys, while fixing what I thought needed to be fixed. Perhaps I could put a silver strip in between the white to balance it out.

I wasn't really planning on making silver a color to be used at all, but considering the merchandise @Broncoboy7 made utilizes the silver, adding it to the jerseys would be sensible.

And lastly,

I was considering it, but I'm not sure the school has a baseball program to be honest. I will check on it though, and if they do have one we will certainly set to work on baseball uniforms :) 

Again, thank you all for the feedback and criticism, and I will get back to work ;) 

Fair enough. 1. Try to stretch the top of the nose a bit so that from the nose to the mouth there is a slant. 2. lower the eye a little and perhaps make it a bit smaller. 3. the mouth is a little too anthropomorphized; all of these things could be fixed based on these references.

m3wolverine4.jpgwolverine_eat1-min.jpg

4 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

Fair enough. 1. Try to stretch the top of the nose a bit so that from the nose to the mouth there is a slant. 2. lower the eye a little and perhaps make it a bit smaller. 3. the mouth is a little too anthropomorphized; all of these things could be fixed based on these references.

m3wolverine4.jpgwolverine_eat1-min.jpg

Got it. So the main objectives are from what I gather, lengthening the snout, making the teeth a little more detailed, fixing the eye, and possibly reducing the red points on the face correct?

Archived