Did you know?

MJWalker45

Did you know that the Canton Bulldogs had three distinct uniform styles in the 1920's, similar to what English soccer teams used at the same time? Most of us in Northeast Ohio always think of them as wearing only the uniform worn by Jim Thorpe or some variation of it before being moved to Cleveland and becoming the Bulldogs/Indians. 

canton bulldogs uniforms 1922.png

jim thorpe.jpg

Are there any other old school uniform styles that you were surprised to see existed way back then? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

*** Nevermind, it looks like a mix of multiple teams there***** UUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last one looks like a bastardized Akron Pros uniform.

However . . . in 1925 Canton and Cleveland both had the name Bulldogs, as Cleveland's owner sold the name back to an ownership group in Canton while still keeping it for the Cleveland team. 

can and cle bulldogs.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

44 minutes ago, hockey week said:

Ah, the Dayton Triangles, my favorite team name in sports. Really strikes fear into the hearts of the enemy, GO TRIANGLES!

Rock Island Independents, Rochester Jeffersons, and Staten Island Stapletons rank up there, as well.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:49 PM, MCM0313 said:

Providence Steam Roller is legitimately one of my favorites. I've created multiple video-game baseball teams with my own adaptation of the name, Providence Steamrollers.

They were known by both the singular and plural nouns.  Seem to have been used interchangeably.  

On 1/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Did you know that the Canton Bulldogs had three distinct uniform styles in the 1920's, similar to what English soccer teams used at the same time? Most of us in Northeast Ohio always think of them as wearing only the uniform worn by Jim Thorpe or some variation of it before being moved to Cleveland and becoming the Bulldogs/Indians. 

canton bulldogs uniforms 1922.png

jim thorpe.jpg

Are there any other old school uniform styles that you were surprised to see existed way back then? 

Have you caught "Before the League" on Sportstime Ohio? Uniform eye candy galore.

Archived