Charlotte MLS expansion crest (hand drawn)

qckgnc

This was something I started sketching at work as a possible identity for the Smith ran Charlotte MLS proposal. I've crept these boards since HS and never really had the confidence to try and post anything on here because, with guys like Veras and Raysox posting professional level work the thought can be intimidating and, I don't have access to any design programs. The crest is based on the current Charlotte Independence crest in shape (also the banner and crown). I included the cross from the civic flag but I don't know if I should move the crown to the center, move the hornet nest there, or leave it as is. The name is Racing Charlotte (like the Argentinian club) mostly due to the Smith's being involved, I wanted to acknowledge their background but, I didn't want to OD on the racing theme (I have been biased to Charlotte Town in the past). Not sure what colors I may go with or if I'll do kits. Right now I just wanted to put together a clean crest with a "real soccer name" for my hometown. That said I got bored and now I am stuck and wanted some input.

* Forgive me if the pic is blurry and for the somewhat erased lines and that would not be the letter font used if I further detail this. Also any suggestions on a cheap program I could use to do this digitally (specofically from my phone if possible) would be appreciated too.

14852246770731379700129.jpg

1485225343778886123354.jpg

10 hours ago, Xamboni said:

22Artboard 1.png

Did a quick trace of it for you. A great design shouldn't be restricted to remaining a sketch. 

I didn't do the hornets nest as I have to go to bed, but I did my best in such a small time frame. Used the NC flag's colours. Hopefully you like it.

Most definitely in love with seeing something I drew being brought to life like that, preciate that big time. What software did you use? I never invested in this before but I'm considering getting a laptop just for doing concepts around refund time.

10 hours ago, SNBSlugger said:

I've moved here recently and what I've noticed is the crown is EVERYTHING down here.  That should be prominent in any logo.

It definitely is. I didn't want to make it ridiculously large but I basically used the same shapes the Independence use but never filled it in. The real crown we use back home felt too round for shield imo but, I plan on redrawing (tracing) it over and making the nest larger under the banner and may redo the crown as well.

3 hours ago, qckgnc said:

Most definitely in love with seeing something I drew being brought to life like that, preciate that big time. What software did you use? I never invested in this before but I'm considering getting a laptop just for doing concepts around refund time.

Adobe Illustrator

Archived