Super Bowl Color vs. Color

kimball

I love 'Color vs. Color' games. And, looking back at Super Bowl history there are a number of match ups that could have gone with such a match up. I wish the NFL allowed this to happen more often, because there are some GORGEOUS match ups.

1966: Green Bay vs. Kansas City

1966.png

1969: Minnesota Vikings vs. Kansas City Chiefs

1969.png

1972: Miami Dolphins vs. Washington Redskins

1972.png

1977: Dallas Cowboys vs. Denver Broncos

1977.png

1980: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Oakland Raiders

1980.png

1981 & 1988: Cincinnati Bengals vs. San Francisco 49ers 

1981.png

1982: Miami Dolphins vs. Washington Redskins

1982.png

1983: Los Angeles Raiders vs. Washington Redskins

1983.png

1984: San Francisco 49ers vs. Miami Dolphins

1984.png

1985: Chicago Bears vs. New England Patriots

1985.png

1986: New York Giants vs. Denver Broncos

1986.png

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Some more matchups ...

1991: Washington Redskins vs. Buffalo Bills

1991.png\

1994: San Francisco 49ers vs. San Diego Chargers

1994.png

2002: Oakland Raiders vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2002.png

2008: Arizona Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

2008.png

2012: Baltimore Ravens vs. San Francisco 49ers

2012.png

2013: Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos

2013.png

2015: Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers

2015.png

2016: Atlanta Falcons vs. New England Patriots

Untitled-1.png

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

While Kimball has a great idea and great pics by the way i wonder if even if this was an option would the designated home team defer on this due to the White Jersey blessing that has happened in 11 of the last 12 Super Bowls.

The color-on-color fetish on this board always amuses me. What an overrated concept. It is so much easier on everybody, from players to coaches to refs to stat guys to TV viewers, if one team wears dark and another white. Contrast, in the age of TV, is very important. 

The photos might be cool and at first the visuals could be neat, but it's not an idea that would work. 

while i agree that it is a bit "gimmicky" at times, and i can concede that it's perhaps an overrated idea, i do really like it as a concept when the entirety of the uniforms are visually contrasting.. when both teams have vastly different uniform elements (at least helmets & jerseys), it can be just as contrasting as dark vs. white.. the falcons and patriots could certainly pull this off, as black/silver are very visually contrasting, and red/navy are both great visual colors that obviously offer enough contrast for teams to frequently use them both in their scheme to accent one another.. i can see where some of the examples above might've been better color vs. white, but there are a few (packers/chiefs for example) that would absolutely be better color/color  

On 1/25/2017 at 2:36 AM, BJ Sands said:

The color-on-color fetish on this board always amuses me. What an overrated concept. It is so much easier on everybody, from players to coaches to refs to stat guys to TV viewers, if one team wears dark and another white. Contrast, in the age of TV, is very important. 

The photos might be cool and at first the visuals could be neat, but it's not an idea that would work. 

But, if it's, say, Browns with orange-brown-white and Bengals with orange-white-black... is it really THAT easy to see the difference unless you're actually paying attention?

Color v. Color works because the same team is wearing the same uniform most of the time. Only in cases where they clash on the road. Seeing MLS switch from Color/White to Color/Color has made it much more enjoyable than always seeing "home team vs. white team'. It's the same argument I have in hockey since most leagues have switched to darks at home. Now, you attend home games, and it's a parade of white teams with some sort of trim color and pant color. It's like you're seeing the same game every time. Before you saw "White v. Green", "White v. Blue", "White v. Black", or "White v. Red", etc. Now, it's, in my case, "Black v. White" for every game.

Archived