2018 MLS Kits (NYCFC, Chicago updated 3/16)

upperV03

Last year around this time I started a series where I designed kits for every single MLS team based on which kit they were in line to receive for the 2017 season. I figured I'd do the same this year but for the 2018 season. So without further ado, this is my 2018 MLS kit thread. I'll probably be going in a random order but the first club up is my hometown Portland Timbers. Shortly after they released their new home kit for this year, Merritt Paulson said on Twitter that they'll be departing from the Rose City Red theme for next season's secondary kit. So naturally it seems as though they'll end up with some sort of white kit for their next secondary but I wanted to come up with something that wasn't just a boring white kit like the ones many teams have unveiled in past years. The first option that I came up with is a throwback to this kit:

IMG_2709.GIF

I've always loved that kit so I thought I'd reinterpret it in a modern way:

Timbers2017.png

I wasn't completely sold on that design, however, so I came up with another option. This kit is a green and white hooped kit which is meant to pay tribute to the city flag through the colors and sublimated striping in the hoops, as well as the Timbers Army scarf design:

Timbers2017(2).png

I'm pretty torn between the two designs so I'd greatly appreciate any C&C and possibly even an opinion on which one you guys prefer. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the input guys! The sponsor logo was an issue I encountered while making the second design but all of the alternatives I tried ending up diminishing the overall aesthetics of the kit. I'll wait to make a determination in case some more people offer their opinions but I appreciate your comments!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Seeing as all of you thus far have opted for option #1, I've decided to go with that one and make some slight alterations to have it better resemble the 1982 kit and include some more club-specific details:

Timbers2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Nice start to the series, but I would move the Adidas stripes to the shoulders instead of the sides and apply the design to the stripes on the shoulders (center stripe being yellow and the other two being green). Really liked your series last year, can't wait to see more!

1 hour ago, kerlonmoura said:

Nice start to the series, but I would move the Adidas stripes to the shoulders instead of the sides and apply the design to the stripes on the shoulders (center stripe being yellow and the other two being green). Really liked your series last year, can't wait to see more!

Yeah I did try that but it just didn't capture the retro feel that I was looking for, especially because the striping on the retro kits is actually one green stripe and one gold stripe. Plus, I think Adidas may use the side stripes again next season so I decided to go with that route for the 2018 kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Since the Union recently unveiled their new secondary kit for this season I thought I'd do them next. What I came up with is fairly similar to the idea I had for a secondary kit last year and it utilizes light blue in the center stripe to mimic the striping from the crest. I also moved the crest over to the left chest, and I went ahead and adjusted the bimbo logo to be on a navy field and with white lettering. I felt it was a good compromise between what they actually use and the completely unrealistic nature of making it gold to better match the kit. Anyways, I hope you like it and feel free to leave any C&C.

Union2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

11 minutes ago, nas1787 said:

Philly looks nice, though I'd hate to see the crest moved. The centred crest is their thing (in MLS at least).

And just as I type that I realize they did move it for this year's clash kit--a real shame.

Yeah I knew moving the crest could be somewhat of an unpopular decision with some people but I did that purely out of personal preference. I've just always disliked it being center aligned so I wanted to implement a design that would allow me to effectively move it over to the left chest.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Broncoboy7 said:

The only thing I would recommend for the Union jersey is that that striping down the middle, the middle stripe I think should be white. Try it out and see what you come up with.

I'll give that a try and post it later. I may also just go ahead and change the sponsor logo and MLS badges to better match the rest of the kit. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

A couple different options here; one with the suggestion made by @Broncoboy7 and the other with the removal of all white accents and MLS badges which better match the crest. I personally think the second option is the way to go and I'm happy with it. I feel like it'd be a nice change for the Union after not using light blue accents in their past two home kits. 

Union2017.png

Union2017(2).png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Very nice! On Portland I admit I prefer the hoops design, but your final design there is also a winner -- very retro, it suits Portland. I'm also very fond of adding a blue stripe to the Union look, it freshens things up and aesthetically makes the shirt mercifully less drab.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

41 minutes ago, Digby said:

Very nice! On Portland I admit I prefer the hoops design, but your final design there is also a winner -- very retro, it suits Portland. I'm also very fond of adding a blue stripe to the Union look, it freshens things up and aesthetically makes the shirt mercifully less drab.

Thanks @Digby! I'll admit that I've kind of grown to like the hoops design for Portland a little bit more myself but overall I think the retro design was the better choice. And for Philly, I completely agree with what you said, they need something to liven up their kits and I tried to accomplish that with the the infusion of the light blue. Anyways, thanks for the comment and for taking a look!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Seeing as NYCFC's new home kit has already been leaked, I thought I'd tackle their 2018 secondary next. Their current secondary is a bit of a visual mess and I still don't understand the graphic pattern. So with this new kit I wanted to create something that was still visually distinct but with a touch of class. I chose to use the NYC flag for inspiration and implement it with a white sash and some diagonal color blocking. Light blue and white accents round it out. Hit me up with any C&C if you wish, and once again I hope you like it.

NYCFC2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Alright, next up is the Seattle Sounders, who will be due for a new primary in 2018. They've had some flashy kits in the past, but their last few primary kits have been fairly restrained and simple in design. With this new primary, I decided to revert back to something a little more daring. I decided to implement a gradient design with blue on the shoulders and sleeves fading to green, and a subtle wavy line pattern (taken from their NASL logo) which also has a gradient and is sublimated onto the shirt. Shale and white accents round it out. Let me know what you think, hope you guys like it.

Sounders2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived