2018 MLS Kits (NYCFC, Chicago updated 3/16)

upperV03

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta United is up next, and they're set to replace their secondary kit come 2018. With this new secondary I wanted to freshen up their color scheme by replacing their drab metallic gold with an athletic gold which I think is synonymous with Atlanta. Just to be clear, I'm not changing their official colors to include athletic gold, I'm simply using it for this kit. As far as the design, I wanted to pay tribute to the city of Atlanta through the gold color and also through the rising sun design that appears on the front of the shirt. It's meant to represent "Resurgens", which is the club motto and translates to "to rise again". In addition, a monochromatic version of the city seal is used as the jocktag.

ATL2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

From one of the new Uniteds joining MLS to the original, today I have the 2018 primary kit for DC United. They'll be moving into their new stadium next season and so I thought it'd be a nice time to return to the look that got them started. The three horizontal white stripes make their return, and they're broad like they were on the original kits. The Adidas stripes are tonal so as to distract attention and put it on the chest stripes. Red accents come by way of the sleeve cuffs, MLS badges, jocktag, and the buttons on the henley collar. Let me know what you think!

DCU2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Today I have a new primary kit for the Montreal Impact. I didn't exactly have to reinvent the wheel on this one, but there were several things about their current primary that I wanted to change for 2018. First off, I eliminated the needless white pinstripes and added the blue and black stripes to the sleeves. Next, I made the stripes a little bit thinner and used a subtle embossed fleur de lis pattern. In addition, I changed the accent color and adidas stripes to a light metallic silver. The four floral emblems from the city flag and the official logo of Montreal both adorn the kit as the jocktag and back neck graphic, respectively. Let me know what you think (and feel free to comment on previous designs as well).

Impact2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I like the Impact,even though it has a "teamwear" feeling about it... I don't think DC would be... allowed to exist sadly - and that's exactly why I have something different in mind for those -,however it's a really nice design. I really,really don't like Atlanta though. I don't hate anything about it in particular,I just don't think it works.

59 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

I like the Impact,even though it has a "teamwear" feeling about it... I don't think DC would be... allowed to exist sadly - and that's exactly why I have something different in mind for those -,however it's a really nice design. I really,really don't like Atlanta though. I don't hate anything about it in particular,I just don't think it works.

Not sure why you think the Impact kit has a teamwear feel to it, especially with the sublimated pattern, jocktag, and back neck graphic. I'm also not sure why you think the DC kit may not be allowed to exist - I'm sure Adidas wouldn't mind putting three stripes on the chest, and DCU would be smart to adopt it again since it became somewhat of an iconic look for them in their early years. And I respect your opinion about the Atlanta kit but I'm sticking with it. I think it fits Atlanta really nicely, and the rising sun imagery is something that ties in to the history of the city. I think it's also a clever play on the stripes in their crest and home kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Nice work as usual! I really like the idea for Atlanta and think it'd be a fresh and effective look for them. DCU is a solid throwback but I find the effect a little busy, even with the tonal stripes -- maybe it'd work better with the adidas logo in red?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Nice work as usual! I really like the idea for Atlanta and think it'd be a fresh and effective look for them. DCU is a solid throwback but I find the effect a little busy, even with the tonal stripes -- maybe it'd work better with the adidas logo in red?

I did try a red Adidas logo and didn't really like how it looked, but I'll try it again and see what you guys think. I may try a couple other tweaks but we'll see. Thanks as always for the feedback!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Alright here's the DCU kit with red Adidas logos, and then a slightly updated one with a larger black outline around the white Adidas logo. I still think I prefer the latter just because it doesn't attract attention like the red one, but that's just me.

DCU2017(2).pngDCU2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

^ I can certainly understand that, and from a pure design perspective that's definitely the way to go. I think I just prefer the white because it doesn't command attention, and plus I think it would look better in real life as opposed to a mockup.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, upperV03 said:

From one of the new Uniteds joining MLS to the original, today I have the 2018 primary kit for DC United. They'll be moving into their new stadium next season and so I thought it'd be a nice time to return to the look that got them started. The three horizontal white stripes make their return, and they're broad like they were on the original kits. The Adidas stripes are tonal so as to distract attention and put it on the chest stripes. Red accents come by way of the sleeve cuffs, MLS badges, jocktag, and the buttons on the henley collar. Let me know what you think!

DCU2017.png

:censored: YES! *heart eyes*

I do recommend that you change the Adidas striping to either red or white (probably red) and you've got yourself my favorite DC concept I've ever seen

22 minutes ago, christianreitz said:

:censored: YES! *heart eyes*

I do recommend that you change the Adidas striping to either red or white (probably red) and you've got yourself my favorite DC concept I've ever seen

Yeah I tried that but it ended up looking too redundant with the three stripes on the chest. With the tonal stripes, it doesn't look like there are three stripes in two different places on the jersey, and it looks the most like the classic DC jerseys.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 2/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, upperV03 said:

DCU2017.png

I'd make the short stripes white to match the original kits. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think I'm satisfied with the DC kit as is, and I think making the shorts stripes white would throw the whole kit off since the stripes on the sides of the shirt are tonal. I mainly wanted the shirt to evoke the original kits, and have the shorts and socks more subdued to let the shirt shine.

I'll have Minnesota up next, and I'll be posting both a primary and secondary since it's unclear whether they'll be replacing one or both of their generic kits next season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

If you want my two cents on this,I reckon Atlanta and Minnesota will go the NYCFC/Orlando City way of only introducing new secondaries next year. Oh,and that comment was just my thoughts on the kits: For Impact I meant that it looks a bit too simple,like a kit Sunderland or West Brom could use if you'd remove the sublimation - which would be barely visible anyway -. For DC,there's a limited amount of branding that can be put on a kit,so the big three stripes would be considered surplus. For Atlanta,I just think that the shade of gold looks a bit like a yellow shirt that got washed out,it doesn't look much like it could work as a football shirt. I hate having to explain myself...

43 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

If you want my two cents on this,I reckon Atlanta and Minnesota will go the NYCFC/Orlando City way of only introducing new secondaries next year. Oh,and that comment was just my thoughts on the kits: For Impact I meant that it looks a bit too simple,like a kit Sunderland or West Brom could use if you'd remove the sublimation - which would be barely visible anyway -. For DC,there's a limited amount of branding that can be put on a kit,so the big three stripes would be considered surplus. For Atlanta,I just think that the shade of gold looks a bit like a yellow shirt that got washed out,it doesn't look much like it could work as a football shirt. I hate having to explain myself...

I mean I understand why you could think the Montreal shirt looks a bit like teamwear, but by that reasoning you could say the same thing about almost any striped shirt if you look at it without the design features. I think there is more than enough to distinguish that it's a customized kit rather than a colored in version of teamwear.

As far as Atlanta and Minnesota, I'm already fairly sure ATL will release a new secondary kit next season, but it's unclear whether Minnesota will follow suit or unveil a whole new set due to them not having time for customized kits this season.

For DC, I think the stripes on the chest would be considered more of a design feature rather than branding because of their history wearing the stripes in that way. Not that it couldn't be considered branding, but DCU kind of adopted that element as their own unique quirk in their early years.

As I said earlier, I respect your opinion on the Atlanta kit, but I'm sticking with it. If you don't like the yellow shirt, then that is your personal preference. I happen to think it fits the city very nicely, especially with the added imagery.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Next up is Minnesota, and I'll be showing you two new kits since it's unclear what they'll be unveiling next year. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that their kits this year are understandably underwhelming due to the limited time frame for designing and producing them. With these new kits, I wanted to bring the primary kit back to something more closely resembling their previous home kit with the loon wing. In this iteration, the wing is smaller and upright on the lower right torso to match how it appears in the crest, and also to make room for the sponsor logo. The kit is a slightly darker gray than their current primary, and it comes with black and light gray socks in case of a clash. The secondary kit plays off of the sash in their crest, with light blue and gray horizontal stripes on the front of the shirt. The rest of the kit is light blue with black accents. On both kits I chose to utilize the version of their crest with the black background because 1) I happen to actually like it, and 2) Because I think they will use that version when they move over to the heat transferred logos on the customized kits. Lastly, the state of Minnesota is the jocktag on both kits, with the star from the crest over the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

MNUFC2017(2).pngMNUFC2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Yeah I see what you mean,especially re: Montreal.  That's a really nice Minnesota set... I especially like how you mirrored the crest on the away. Is the "Forever United" line a thing of theirs? I used it on my 2017 series (in which I incidentally did a miAdidas away as well!) as a generic tagline cause I couldn't think about anything else lol,nice to see that I wasn't the only one!

Archived