Rehabilitated uniforms

Ray Lankford

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

9AzCH7v.jpg

I don't know if these uniforms have been "rehabilitated" or not, but faux 90s nostalgia (I say "faux," because many of the younger people who push for it didn't spend much time in the 90s ;) ) combined with a loud older contrarian crowd always seem to make these uniforms seem pretty popular whenever they're brought up. Didn't the team even bring these back for warm-ups recently?

Sort of. They slapped the logo on a generic-looking practice jersey.

IMG_0228.JPG

5 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Good unis and I notice some people agree. Two things worked against this uni

1: it replaced the classic 80s look

2: it is associated with a dark age of 49ers football

san-francisco-49ers-ken-dorsey-gets-some-play-time-against-the-oakland-DM70JE.jpg

Best 49ers uniform of all time. And I equate that more with latter-day Steve Young and the Garcia/Owens TD machine connection than I do sad days that followed.

Plus outside of the Super Bowl run with Kaepernick, it's not like the new/old set is equated with any great success.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

All this thread will be is people posting the most obscure or outlandish uniforms they can find.  

Most of these were replaced because they were garbage.  I totally understand nostalgia, but that's good for an every-now-and-then thing, not a full time return.  Two things can happen:  1) the same sentiments that lead to the replacement of those sets will resurface and they'll be replaced again 2) this generation of fans will cling to those designs and really get behind them.  While it could end up being 2, I really think it would be 1.

BBTV is absolutely right. All people are doing is dredging up some strange uniform they remembered from their childhood (and probably hated at the time) and allowing nostalgia to make them get all giddy about it now.

So let me join in!!

5750b85daf858a669407a563025259b8.jpg

BAM!

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

Good unis and I notice some people agree. Two things worked against this uni

1: it replaced the classic 80s look

2: it is associated with a dark age of 49ers football

san-francisco-49ers-ken-dorsey-gets-some-play-time-against-the-oakland-DM70JE.jpg

Those are great uniforms on a bad team. 

XM4KeeA.png

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

People didn't care much for these when they were live, but isn't there a pretty big contingent of Pats fans who would like to see these return?

36803-the-1985-patriots-ac795.jpg

And as I look at this image, I see that lots of people (myself included) would love to see an update incorporating this look:

foley0001_20110428587.gif

Too bad these sets are also associated with the dark ages for both the Jets and Patriots. 

XM4KeeA.png

There's still a big number of fans I see wearing the black uniforms when going to Met games. I still believe they hold up very well and wouldn't mind seeing them come back as a once in a while alternative during a night game. 

IMG_9190.JPG

XM4KeeA.png

14 minutes ago, insert name said:

There's still a big number of fans I see wearing the black uniforms when going to Met games. I still believe they hold up very well and wouldn't mind seeing them come back as a once in a while alternative during a night game. 

IMG_9190.JPG

I know the 69 and 86 Mets are the bright spots in the franchise, but the 1998-2001 (or so) Mets were a pretty special group. You had John Franco, Mike Piazza, Robin Ventura, Orel Hershisher, Bobby Bonilla, and a whole bunch of other big personalities and a bunch of guys near or just past their primes. The 2000 NLCS was their peak, but the Mets post-9/11 response really stood out as a good moment in a bad time.

I'm not a Mets fan, but I can see why people would remain attached to that era.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Bring back these colors!

josh-freeman-jordan-superfly-tampa-bay-t

like i said, only a vocal minority that occupies this site want these back. everyone else remembers these colors being associated with the "Yucs" that were one of the worst teams in the league every year.

9 minutes ago, dont care said:

like i said, only a vocal minority that occupies this site want these back. everyone else remembers these colors being associated with the "Yucs" that were one of the worst teams in the league every year.

These uniforms are associated with the 1979 NFC Championship Game, which is amongst the very best-looking match-ups in all of sports history. 

4f31ccc527d9ff6ba16decfee47ae5ed.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

These uniforms are associated with the 1979 NFC Championship Game, which is amongst the very best-looking match-ups in all of sports history. 

4f31ccc527d9ff6ba16decfee47ae5ed.jpg

Oh 2 meh seasons totally strike away how hideous those uniforms are, with colors that blend together and a blob of a logo on the helmet. Especially when that is the uniform they went 0-14, won 2 games 4 other times and finished under .500 in all but 3 out of the 21 years they have worn those uniforms

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

People didn't care much for these when they were live, but isn't there a pretty big contingent of Pats fans who would like to see these return?

36803-the-1985-patriots-ac795.jpg

I think there's definitely something to this one. The thought I have as to why it may be more favorable to many now is that until the one-helmet rule, it was an occasional alternate (not even counting the AFL 50th anniversary set, which was a different set altogether). Plus, you still see Brady occasionally sporting the Pat Patriot beanie here and there. So in a way, it's sort of connected to the Patriots current successes unlike other past looks would be for other teams. It's absolutely a part of the Brady-Belichick aura, and thus has graduated from the primary uniform of an underwhelming team to a notable piece of a dynasty's lore. Not the primary piece of course, but it's been hearkened back to enough during the Brady-Belichick days that it's certainly a part of it.

Plus, it could still work today because it still looks dang good today:

IMG_5712.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

BBTV is absolutely right. All people are doing is dredging up some strange uniform they remembered from their childhood (and probably hated at the time) and allowing nostalgia to make them get all giddy about it now.

So let me join in!!

5750b85daf858a669407a563025259b8.jpg

BAM!

You mentioned this one jokingly, but a lot of college teams have incorporated this look or the White Sox beach blanket look that someone posted earlier.  So they have been rehabilitated and brought back to some extent.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

12 hours ago, johnnysama said:

I know I may catch a lot of flack for this, but this needs to be brought back (full-time, at least):

Mets-1986-1.png

Of course, I'd have it paired with the "NEW YORK" block script jerseys on the road.

While racing stripes died a death in the 80s, I think it would still look awesome today

14 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think there's definitely something to this one. The thought I have as to why it may be more favorable to many now is that until the one-helmet rule, it was an occasional alternate (not even counting the AFL 50th anniversary set, which was a different set altogether). Plus, you still see Brady occasionally sporting the Pat Patriot beanie here and there. So in a way, it's sort of connected to the Patriots current successes unlike other past looks would be for other teams. It's absolutely a part of the Brady-Belichick aura, and thus has graduated from the primary uniform of an underwhelming team to a notable piece of a dynasty's lore. Not the primary piece of course, but it's been hearkened back to enough during the Brady-Belichick days that it's certainly a part of it.

Plus, it could still work today because it still looks dang good today:

IMG_5712.JPG

See, the Patriots have done all their winning in navy. What I would do is modernize/update Pat Patriot in the same way that the Cardinals and Falcons modernized their logos, and work their color rush jerseys as their full time look:

092216patsms10.jpg?itok=Xn7VE8aW

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived