Rehabilitated uniforms

Ray Lankford

Before this thread gets fully Padre-jacked, I'd say that this uniform style has received a small degree of rehabilitation over the years:

Lightning11.png

I would say that the renewal of interest in this Lightning uniform set is partially due to the backlash towards the current "Maple Wings" set, memories of the 2004 Stanely Cup team, and its relatively unique colorway in the NHL (black/white/blue/silver). It's not particularly good-looking, but its reputation has improved.

How is the love for these NY Giants unis? I think they are still a good look as the current one's novelty has faded a bit for me. I would make the jersey match the helmets, though. 

jersey6.jpg

Then there are these Oregon unis that have come almost full circle. Almost. These colors have reappeared lately.

1786425_display_image.jpg?1312733679

12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unfortunately these were worn in 1987 when we were supposed to win the pennant but ended up with more than 100 losses. Major League is the only place these uniforms did any winning on the field. 

That was a team that lost 102 games two years prior. They didn't have the talent to contend, and collapsed under the hype.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:01 PM, MCM0313 said:

Tampa Bay Rays...I mean, yellow is more of a tertiary behind the two shades of blue but they do wear blue and yellow.

When I started my design job for the Rays I planned on using a lot of yellow just to pop more than light blue does and my coworker who has been there a few years basically said downplay yellow as much as I can. It's a shame cause it'd be very different from everyone else

3 hours ago, rtrich11 said:

How is the love for these NY Giants unis? I think they are still a good look as the current one's novelty has faded a bit for me. I would make the jersey match the helmets, though. 

jersey6.jpg

That Giants wordmark makes for a terrible helmet logo.

The helmet that I'd like to see come back is the beautiful 1975 version.

giants-1975.jpg

This was meant to be the helmet going forward.  But the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, the agency which owned Giants Stadium, raised a big stink about the Giants having "NY" on their helmets.  

The Jersey people actually wanted the team to change its name to the "New Jersey Giants".  The Giants weren't about to do that; but they compromised by ditching the new 1975 logo after only one season, and putting the awkward wordmark on the helmet upon the move to the Meadowlands in 1976.

If not for the whining babies of New Jersey, that strong and well-balanced NY logo would still be with us today, having just finished its 42nd season; and it would be known as the Giants' logo.

One last Padres note, this is the best selling jersey on their Lids page:

image.jpeg

It's part of the Cooperstown Collection but they never actually wore a uniform like this and yet I think it's better than anything they did wear. That's a story for a "Fashion jerseys that are better than the real thing" topic though.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That Giants wordmark makes for a terrible helmet logo.

The helmet that I'd like to see come back is the beautiful 1975 version.

giants-1975.jpg

This was meant to be the helmet going forward.  But the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, the agency which owned Giants Stadium, raised a big stink about the Giants having "NY" on their helmets.  

The Jersey people actually wanted the team to change its name to the "New Jersey Giants".  The Giants weren't about to do that; but they compromised by ditching the new 1975 logo after only one season, and putting the awkward wordmark on the helmet upon the move to the Meadowlands in 1976.

If not for the whining babies of New Jersey, that strong and well-balanced NY logo would still be with us today, having just finished its 42nd season; and it would be known as the Giants' logo.

Perhaps, but i'd doubt it that NY font just screams 70's IMO I don't remember what the name of it. 

51 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

While everyone clamored for the beloved red white and blue, the caps had these beauties.I honestly think these could work today, it helps that their attempt to bring r/w/b back was crap

simon_thisdate_nov2.jpg

It's rare when I see one here in DC (as everyone now wears red), but those unis are really nice.  

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Before this thread gets fully Padre-jacked, I'd say that this uniform style has received a small degree of rehabilitation over the years:

Lightning11.png

I would say that the renewal of interest in this Lightning uniform set is partially due to the backlash towards the current "Maple Wings" set, memories of the 2004 Stanely Cup team, and its relatively unique colorway in the NHL (black/white/blue/silver). It's not particularly good-looking, but its reputation has improved.

It's good, but the primary logo needs to stay in the 1990s where it belongs. Maybe it's giving a black dropshadow to a lightning bolt hence making it a lightning-shaped block. Maybe it's the "Tampa Bay" or "LIGHTNING" script  thrown haphazardly onto the logo. Maybe it's both of those things--the one improvement the Lightning made with their current set is the logo. That said, I think the Florida/bolt logo is the best Lightning logo from this time and should've been the primary (albeit without that annoying dropshadow). Also granted, the current logo could use some color tweaking--filling the oval blue, black, or silver, depending on the background field color--but it fixes what was wrong with the original logo by cleaning things up.

As for the uniforms? They can stay, or a blue version of the originals that simply flips black and blue can be made, but with the current or an updated Florida/bolt logo. I've also got nothing against the Lightning being a primarily blue team, so long as there's still plenty of black to go around (think black helmets and pants with blue jerseys that have black and white stripes). I do have a concept hanging around from a few years ago that gives the gist of what I'm talking about, and if it's OK I'll post it here or provide a direct link.

Edited by DustDevil61

22 hours ago, hawk36 said:

As a huge Bring Back the Brown supporter, I'd welcome ANY past version of the brown before anything blue. 

Which is why I'm such a vehemently blue Padres fan. Most of the brown looks were just atrocious. Can't understand why anyone would want them back just for the sake of being different. Sometimes different sucks.

3 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Which is why I'm such a vehemently blue Padres fan. Most of the brown looks were just atrocious. Can't understand why anyone would want them back just for the sake of being different. Sometimes different sucks.

I like the brown Padres looks but if they stick with blue then they should go back to the Gwynn look of the 90s. Sure, Detroit wears navy and orange, but the orange is minimal. San Diego used orange more than Detroit ever has.

1 minute ago, jmac11281 said:

I like the brown Padres looks but if they stick with blue then they should go back to the Gwynn look of the 90s. Sure, Detroit wears navy and orange, but the orange is minimal. San Diego used orange more than Detroit ever has.

Frankly I never understood why they went away from the '91 unis. It was a solid look that they largely had to themselves at the time.

4 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I think many were great (original, 1974, 1979). That being said, even just changing what they will use this year from navy to brown makes a huge difference in my eyes. Warms it up and creates a better look that is also unique. 

BrownWhite2.jpg

2 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I think many were great (original, 1974, 1979). That being said, even just changing what they will use this year from navy to brown makes a huge difference in my eyes. Warms it up and creates a better look that is also unique. 

BrownWhite2.jpg

I have to disagree. That scheme is as dull as the blue version. You need a second color with the blue, or brown for that matter, something to make the uniform pop.

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

I have to disagree. That scheme is as dull as the blue version. You need a second color with the blue, or brown for that matter, something to make the uniform pop.

Yes. Would love yellow with it but was just showing how, in my eyes, the brown alone is superior to the navy alone. At least for the Padres. 

On 1/29/2017 at 4:43 PM, insert name said:

There's still a big number of fans I see wearing the black uniforms when going to Met games. I still believe they hold up very well and wouldn't mind seeing them come back as a once in a while alternative during a night game. 

IMG_9190.JPG

The problem with this uniform was that it was just worn way too often while the traditional pinstripes were not worn nearly enough.

5 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

It's good, but the primary logo needs to stay in the 1990s where it belongs. Maybe it's giving a black dropshadow to a lightning bolt hence making it a lightning-shaped block. Maybe it's the "Tampa Bay" or "LIGHTNING" script  thrown haphazardly onto the logo. Maybe it's both of those things--the one improvement the Lightning made with their current set is the logo. That said, I think the Florida/bolt logo is the best Lightning logo from this time and should've been the primary (albeit without that annoying dropshadow). Also granted, the current logo could use some color tweaking--filling the oval blue, black, or silver, depending on the background field color--but it fixes what was wrong with the original logo by cleaning things up.

As for the uniforms? They can stay, or a blue version of the originals that simply flips black and blue can be made, but with the current or an updated Florida/bolt logo. I've also got nothing against the Lightning being a primarily blue team, so long as there's still plenty of black to go around (think black helmets and pants with blue jerseys that have black and white stripes). I do have a concept hanging around from a few years ago that gives the gist of what I'm talking about, and if it's OK I'll post it here or provide a direct link.

I've always been partial to using the updated Florida logo as the primary.

n8ejdktph45ge887gfn2ztbhg.gif

I'd want to swap out the blue for a lighter shade of blue (maybe that slate shade that the Avs and Jets use), but I think it's a good starting point that fits with your proposal. I also like the idea of blue sweaters and black breezers/helmets, which would stand out a bit more than a black-dominant set.