Rehabilitated uniforms

Ray Lankford

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/29/2017 at 4:43 PM, insert name said:

There's still a big number of fans I see wearing the black uniforms when going to Met games. I still believe they hold up very well and wouldn't mind seeing them come back as a once in a while alternative during a night game. 

IMG_9190.JPG

On 1/29/2017 at 5:00 PM, DG_Now said:

I know the 69 and 86 Mets are the bright spots in the franchise, but the 1998-2001 (or so) Mets were a pretty special group. You had John Franco, Mike Piazza, Robin Ventura, Orel Hershisher, Bobby Bonilla, and a whole bunch of other big personalities and a bunch of guys near or just past their primes. The 2000 NLCS was their peak, but the Mets post-9/11 response really stood out as a good moment in a bad time.

I'm not a Mets fan, but I can see why people would remain attached to that era.

8 hours ago, Mitch B said:

The problem with this uniform was that it was just worn way too often while the traditional pinstripes were not worn nearly enough.

Also black isn't a team color. Also it's an ugly jersey.

The 1997-2001 Mets were a lot of fun. 1997 felt like they finally turned the corner and became respectable again. They were alive until game 162 in 1998 (I still have nightmares about Jay Payton's baserunning that last weekend). They finally made the playoffs again in 1999, and won the pennant in 2000. They were 10 games under .500 in late August 2001 but got red hot in September to get right back in the race, capped off by that Piazza homer at Shea, before the wheels came off that last week. There was also 2006, where maybe if they had a healthy Pedro Martinez and El Duque, they could've beaten the Cardinals and won another pennant. There are a lot of good memories from this era.

But none of that makes this a good look. It's an even worse look for a team never had black as part of its color scheme. And it's even worse when that team's color scheme was chosen for a specific reason (blue from the Brooklyn Dodgers, orange from the New York Giants). They were a good team in a bad jersey that I hope to only see again in highlight videos and never on the field.

Archived