LA Chargers Concept

bigmike

I decided to take a break from my Minor League series and work on a new logo for the Chargers since they are relocating to Los Angeles. Since the move came after my 2016 NFL series, I kept the Chargers in San Diego for that. However with the new move I decided to give it a go creating interlocking LA logo for the Chargers.

I've seen a few similar ones on here but tried to put my own spin on it, the font is the same as their current font with the classic bolt used for the bottom of the L and the crossbar of the A. The A has an extended leg as well, I felt like this looked more natural to me because of the slant of the font but it might be a little off still so if anyone has ideas on improvements let me know! I tried out two different color set options. The first is their current colors including their Navy, Gold-Yellow, "Powder" Blue and their Color Rush colors. The second option is a little more vibrant, I lightened up the powder blue as well as used a "Volt" color which I tried to tilt more towards yellow than green, black is used as well. The second set would not really be my personal pick but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing something like that moving to a new city and to separate their look from the Rams. 

LA%20logos%20presentation_zps6fx5u37a.pn

Let me know what you think, I'll be updating the uniforms from my last series to fit in with the new look and will likely do an update to the Rams as well!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

A couple of things:

The rounded strokes don't really fit well. Sharpen those edges and it will look cleaner.

The angles on the legs of the A are off. It's tough to explain it in words, but the bottom parts of the legs aren't lined up properly with each other. It should fit on a single-angled line, if that makes any sense.

Also, the L and A aren't parallel. Another simple fix with your angles would make this concept much better.

Last thing...I would make it so that the light blue and navy blue never touch each other - the one on the left of the first set you posted should be changed so that the inner stroke is gold/yellow and the outer stroke is navy.

Sorry if it seems like I'm tearing your concept apart, it's a good start. With these small detail-oriented changes, it will be miles better.

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

6 hours ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

A couple of things:

The rounded strokes don't really fit well. Sharpen those edges and it will look cleaner.

The angles on the legs of the A are off. It's tough to explain it in words, but the bottom parts of the legs aren't lined up properly with each other. It should fit on a single-angled line, if that makes any sense.

Also, the L and A aren't parallel. Another simple fix with your angles would make this concept much better.

Last thing...I would make it so that the light blue and navy blue never touch each other - the one on the left of the first set you posted should be changed so that the inner stroke is gold/yellow and the outer stroke is navy.

Sorry if it seems like I'm tearing your concept apart, it's a good start. With these small detail-oriented changes, it will be miles better.

No problem! I knew it needed some work so I'm glad to hear the comments. I've used GIMP for years with my concepts but really just started dabbling into logo creation with it over the past year so there are definitely some things I need to improve on with it. 

Unfortunately the tool I use in GIMP actually rounds off straight edges when I outline stuff but definitely a great point to bring up. I have worked on straightening those out with past logos so I will go back to the drawing board and see if I can fix that.

I think the A leg angles you are mentioning is how the left side is longer than the right side? I actually did not have it starting out that way but thought it would help the proportion of the logo overall with the way the font slants but it still wasn't the overall look I wanted to achieve so I don't mind scrapping that idea at all. 

I should be able to parallel the L and the A up though pretty easily and the color swapping is an easy fix as well. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived