marble21's Formula One 2017

marble21

PQBSwOJ.png

Merry February everyone. It''s almost that time when the F1 teams release their cars for the upcoming season. Just like in 2015 and 2016 I have made some F1 concepts to tie in with that, which I hope you will enjoy.

This year will be slightly different though. I have already created a concept for each team based off a combination of what I think teams will look like - slightly modified to my taste. Once the actual cars have been released, I will modify my designs again based on them and also any C&C that has been given. There will also be some bonus concepts just for fun at the end - suggestions welcome.

2017 will be interesting because of some significant rule changes which affect the design and look of the cars. This has meant a slight change in the template I use. The .png is below for anybody to use. I have created my concepts using Inkscape from an .svg file. If you would like a copy of that .svg then PM me your email address.

TWxDzCd.png 

UPDATE: Basic "Shark Fin" added.

pOvgQc6.png

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

ZwiaD9R.png

So here is Mercedes. I personally prefer the look of the circa 2010 cars that were all silver as opposed to the current ones with the black elements. I am a big fan of the prominent silver and teal combination brought by the partnership with Petronas though. As mentioned in the opening post, this concept combines what I think the cars will look like with some personal preferences. I have included the black on the front and rear wing end plates but removed the black patterns from the side of the fuel tank which I am not a fan of.

Each concept will also be presented with a team polo and cap (template by @raysox). Imagine these as an idea of what the drivers could wear in their post quali/race interviews for example.

C&C welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Neglected this... I will post what I did before the actual cars start to be presented next week. These were my original ideas. I did most of these in December/January so I am doing it to see how much my opinions change once we know what the real cars will look like. A few teams like McLaren have posted hints at some changes and we've even lost Manor from the grid after financial collapse. Most of what I have done is only subtle changes at most, so it's a bit of a waiting game before the livery releases start happening and I can come up with some updates. Also, like previous years I will do some bonus fantasy concepts once it's all done.

sb1pILf.png

crOq3tD.png 

kem3AP6.png

GsFGguE.png

LS95Y1W.png

fE3mQEm.png

kQLgPXC.png

L438EZP.png

7YV8H97.png

owuwWZS.png

These are all awesome, kinda sad to see the Manor one since they are effectively out of business now though, since that means all three of those teams that came in at the same time are now gone. I am interested in seeing the look of the McLaren if the rumors of a majority orange livery end up being true

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

On 18/02/2017 at 7:17 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

First off. YOU HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE OF CONCEPTS. Trust me you didn't neglect the thread. Second. Where did you find the number 8 logo for the Haas car. I've been trying to find a decent one myself to no avail. Finally is a customink or something like that for those shirts in the future

I am a concept creating robot sent from the year 2 and I have failed in my duties. I think for the number 8 I found a picture from Grosjean's twitter page and used the trace tool in inkscape - it was a long time ago that I did it. It looks OK on here but zoomed in even a little bit it's really not that good quality. The bold part I have quoted about the customink I don't fully understand. Is that a custom t-shirt making company or something? If it is that then that's not something I have considered. It would be cool though, sure.

On 18/02/2017 at 7:33 PM, dwertman said:

These are all awesome, kinda sad to see the Manor one since they are effectively out of business now though, since that means all three of those teams that came in at the same time are now gone. I am interested in seeing the look of the McLaren if the rumors of a majority orange livery end up being true

Yeah, I agree about Manor. The smaller teams can play an important role in F1 as not only do many drivers but also many engineers and mechanics start their career at the "back" of the grid and work their way up. The new ownership has addressed the current financial issues so hopefully we will see some change with that. 

McLaren for sure will be interesting. As well as the massive hint they dropped on twitter, there have been a few significant personnel changes so a 'rebranding' kind of makes sense. I'm hoping for a few more surprises on the grid too. We'll soon find out.

The first post has been updated with a template featuring a rudimentary shark fin design. I have started updating teams based on what has been unveiled in real life, so some of these should be up soon hopefully.

On 20/02/2017 at 9:57 AM, hendocfc said:

Thank you for excluding black from the Ferrari car; I was a huge fan when I was younger - even though they're red! - and seeing their recent liveries incorporate more and more black kind of made me sad lol

I agree! I got into F1 during the Damon Hill title winning 1996 season when I was 6 years old. For many years, all I had ever known was a fully red Ferrari. Then I started watching videos of classic F1 seasons and grew to like the late 70s designs. I know they used a lot of black in the late 80s and early 90s but I'm really not a fan of that look for them.

Back with updates. Most of the grid is now finished so I will be posting a couple of concepts at a time. Then after that some bonus ones if any interest remains.

I have included my original idea with the updated concept below.

Mercedes

image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

So the updates to the 2017 car are pretty minor compared to the 2016 car but I do quite like the new design on the turquoise area of the car. The turquoise of Petronas and silver of Mercedes work well together so there wasn't really much need for change. A subtle update was the right decision, so I tried my best to recreate it. Again, removal of black from the engine cover and no shark fin or T wing.

ZwiaD9R.png

HSDTk2V.png

Red Bull

rts10yti.jpg

So, another car where they have just moved their old livery onto the new 2017 design with some slight changes and that is satisfactory. Again, I have tried my best to just recreate it as I don't deem any changes necessary. A simple attempt at a shark fin here too.

sb1pILf.png

KdLdmxo.png

Ferrari

Side-1.jpg

So, I was delighted to see the design Ferrari used on their shark fin. It was something I had put into my original concept harking back to this era. Again, I removed the large Scuderia Ferrari logo from the engine cover. I don't think it's a terrible logo itself, just don't like it when it's placed there.

crOq3tD.png

asC94Uq.png

Force India

india6102017@@fes_width%5E594@@fes_heigh

So, I really don't like the direction Force India are going in. They had a chance to make orange and green their signature look. They started out that way but seem to move further away from it every season. Now, with McLaren returning to orange, I decided to create an Indian identity with a different approach. I took the shades of blue that the Indian cricket team use and went from there. I put the Indian flag design onto the shark fin, because why not, and altered the shape of it slightly. Overall, it kind of reminds me of Gulf Racing liveries which can't be a bad thing, right?

kem3AP6.png

ydFOy5J.png

Williams and McLaren up next... hoping to have them posted this week some time.

On 13/03/2017 at 10:41 AM, marble21 said:

Force India

india6102017@@fes_width%5E594@@fes_heigh

So they have ditched the above look and gone with a pink livery thanks to new sponsor BWT. I'm not a big fan to be honest but I will at least wait to see it out on track before I pass full judgement. In a similar fashion, the shark fins don't look too bad on the circuit but were a big shock when first seeing them in the HD release photos.

1489502324_132622_1489502405_noticia_nor

Williams

Not much see with Williams, just a return to what they have in real life and inclusion of a shark fin. The Martini livery is one of my favourite in motorsport.

GsFGguE.png

4JKc4GM.png

McLaren

f1-mclaren-mcl32-launch-2017-the-mclaren

So for 2017 McLaren have finally returned to a classic orange look. This is no doubt a popular choice with F1 fans on the face of things as recent years have been pretty uninspiring. However, when the car was revealed a lot of people were comparing the look to that of several recent back markers. Manor/Marussia, Virgin and Spyker for example. For me, a big reason for this is the white lines between the orange and black. I decided to ditch these and also reduce the amount of black on the bodywork and move it to the front and rear wing end plates. The team apparel has also been altered to suit this.

LS95Y1W.png

GgjTOLW.png

4 more teams to go. No surprises coming up really, so these shouldn't be too far off. Bonus concepts will begin after that.

These look good, real nice job.

I actually think that if Force India keeps the BWT around(which it sounds like they are), they are gonna be using pink for a long time, so I'm going to have to get used to it too, but I'm the weird guy that actually kind of likes it.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Just throwing these last four teams out before the real racing begins this weekend. No shocks anywhere here.

fE3mQEm.png

tx0mnJ6.png

^ Awesome update in real life from Toro Rosso. No need to change anything in my eyes.

kQLgPXC.png

PBEnp7B.png

^ Haas with a decent update on a solid look which really grew on me during 2016. Again, very subtle changes if any.

L438EZP.png

9C6MmX8.png

^ Same again, unsurprisingly. Not a fan of the drivers race suits so I had the polo shirt styled like this and the idea was to go with black pants.

7YV8H97.png

NSsaPyt.png

^ By no means perfect from Sauber but a nice look to commemorate 25 years in the sport.

owuwWZS.png

EgrWBwW.png

^ Manor Racing has passed away. RIP u will live on forever. Cant believe it. I wanna run to u. Really cant believe this. @

• 5 weeks later...

Archived